Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Does anyone know if it is possible to burn mp3 disc with folders, so that it retains ID3 tag info?

My problem is that I am burning mp3 discs to play in the car. I like to have albums in individual folders on the disc, so I burn using Roxio Toast. The problem with that is the head unit only then displayed the first 6 letters of each track, rather than the full title.

When I burn mp3 disc using iTunes, this seems to retain track title information so full track title is displayed on head unit. The problem though is that using this method, I am unable to create folders.

Does anyone know a way around this? How can I burn an mp3 disc for use in the car, where I can have individual folders for albums and track title info still be displayed?

hodgeheg

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
Not sure if I understand you correctly - I thought iTunes did create folders, but I have no blank disks to check. If you have iTunes set to automatically manage your music, it will already be stored in the format Artist folder->Album Name->Tracks, and the tags will be burned with them. If you just want folders for the album, and not to have it split by artist you can achieve this with itunes, but only by telling it that all the tracks are part of a compilation. You could then just drag the folders to a data disc from within the finder.

Sorry if I've misunderstood.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Just create the folder structure using Finder and drag the files into the folders.

The track titles are embedded within the files, so they don't need to be burned by a specific app. It maybe worth checking what MP3 ID3 tags your headunit supports, as some only support ID3v1. iTunes supports both, and can convert between ID3v2 to ID3v1 if required.

Once you have your folders and files as you like them, select the folder and choose burn from the (from memory, the File menu).

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
UK
cheers

hodgeheg - not sure if i explained clearly in my post. I know itunes can create folders, but what i was interested in is create folders when burning onto a mp3 disc

Remarkablee - thanks for info. i have just used Finder to burn disc rather than Toast. Gonna give this a try later

I think my head unit does support ID3V2 tags as the track titles were correctly displayed when i originally burned mp3 disc in itunes. Just wanted to know if I could have same outcome but with folders.

Hopefully this will work later.

cheers!

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Just create the folder structure using Finder and drag the files into the folders.

The track titles are embedded within the files, so they don't need to be burned by a specific app. It maybe worth checking what MP3 ID3 tags your headunit supports, as some only support ID3v1. iTunes supports both, and can convert between ID3v2 to ID3v1 if required.

Once you have your folders and files as you like them, select the folder and choose burn from the (from memory, the File menu).

Yes using Finder worked to burn the mp3 cd. Full track titles were displayed on head unit.

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.