Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I am purchasing some speakers to use with my BlackBook and have narrowed down the choices to the Swan M10 and Swan D1080 MkII. I realize the former is a 2.1 and the latter is a 2.0. I am more inclined to the 2.0, but am willing to put the sub-/mid-woofer on my desktop. I would appreciate any advice regarding the difference in sound and function between these two systems, e.g., I am curious how much better the 2.1 will sound than the 2.0 (I have never had a 2.1 setup before). Also, why is the D1080 MkII more expensive? because of the separate volume, bass, and treble controls? Any other helpful advice regarding the two would be appreciated as I am learning about sound equipment only now.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
The latter are a monitoring solution. I heard them for five minutes and they were nice, I didn't really test them at all, but they are louder then the M10s. I would say that the difference is rather negligible the depth of bass on the M10s is greater, but it's not a huge difference, although it's also a difference that is not quantifiable.

I'd say if you want to keep your desk clean, go with the latter. You cannot go wrong in this situation.

I assume you have read my review on the former.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
The latter are a monitoring solution. I heard them for five minutes and they were nice, I didn't really test them at all, but they are louder then the M10s. I would say that the difference is rather negligible the depth of bass on the M10s is greater, but it's not a huge difference, although it's also a difference that is not quantifiable.

I'd say if you want to keep your desk clean, go with the latter. You cannot go wrong in this situation.

I assume you have read my review on the former.

I did read your review and many of your posts. I had hoped you would respond. Thanks.

goldinmackid, If you were deciding, between the two, which would you choose? I am looking for the best quality of sound--mostly for listening to music.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I found a nice thread in another forum which delineates the differences in the specs between the Swan M10s, D1080s, and M200s here. Read especially post #24 and 27 on page 2.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I meant to respond to this early.

Solely out of ease I'd get the D1080's. Like I said earlier, the bass on the M10's is better, but not by much. The placement of the subwoofer is not the easiest thing. I didn't notice a huge difference in the mids and highs as the other forum notes there should be and the quality of the sound seemed comparable.

You aren't making the wrong choice in any instance.

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
Hey OP,

Did you ever get the D1080s? I am looking hard at those speakers and it would be nice to have your thoughts.

Also, the site says they are magnetically sheilded...anyone have any thoughts on how close I can safely position them near my iMac? I guess if they are computer speakers, they are designed to sit near a computer, but the all-in-one nature of my machine may be an issue.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Hey OP,

Did you ever get the D1080s? I am looking hard at those speakers and it would be nice to have your thoughts.

Also, the site says they are magnetically sheilded...anyone have any thoughts on how close I can safely position them near my iMac? I guess if they are computer speakers, they are designed to sit near a computer, but the all-in-one nature of my machine may be an issue.

They can go as close as you want.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Hmm that sounds oddly suggestive goldenmackid :p

Thanks for your thoughts! You still sticking to your previous statement that you think either the m10s or the D1080s are a safe investment?

Absolutely, can't go wrong in my opinion. If you are worried about woofer placement then definitely go with the D1080s.

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
goldenmackid does the m10 woofer have to go on your desk or can it go on the floor? I am limited to space on my desk...

Hey if you check out his review he covers that. It is actually one of the first threads right now in this forum. My impression was that the desk was preferred.

This is one of the reasons that I'm probably going to go with the other ones I mention in my previous post.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
goldenmackid does the m10 woofer have to go on your desk or can it go on the floor? I am limited to space on my desk...

Hey if you check out his review he covers that. It is actually one of the first threads right now in this forum. My impression was that the desk was preferred.

If you can't put it on the desk, get the 1080s. It's not that putting it on the floor will ruin it, but when you get it near head level it's a completely different system. It is designed that way, as the woofer is extremely directional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.