Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

133030-rock_band_1.jpg
133030-rock_band_2.jpg

EA's Rock Band [App Store, $9.99] has appeared in the App Store, less than two weeks after word of the release was made public.

Rock Band offers a similar feel to the original console versions of the game, with some obvious differences due to the screen size and multi-touch interface of the iPhone. Players can to choose from guitar, bass, drum, or vocal tracks for each song, and player errors result in interruptions in music playback, providing integrated audio feedback on performance.

The game includes twenty songs in the basic package, with additional songs available for download via In App Purchase of two-track packs priced at $0.99. Also included is a local multiplayer mode via Bluetooth accommodating up to four players, Facebook integration, and a choice of single-song game modes or "World Tour" career mode.

Article Link: EA's 'Rock Band' Arrives in App Store

rtakman

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
I got the game a little while ago.. and its not half bad! A little slow to load on my 3G but still.. Great game 5*'s :)

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
It's pretty fun...

I haven't tried multi-player mode, but the single player version works great. I have relatively large hands, so the controls a little tough if you use thumbs.

Much better experience than I had with TAP TAP, although I haven't tried Tap Tap 3.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
A little disappointed in all the loading. Pressing pause has a ~2-3 second load to the menu, same when hitting resume. Even on a 3GS.

But other than that, it's a great game.

ref1mind

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
I haven't tried multi-player mode, but the single player version works great. I have relatively large hands, so the controls a little tough if you use thumbs.

Much better experience than I had with TAP TAP, although I haven't tried Tap Tap 3.

You should really give tap tap revenge 3 a shot! It's only 99 cents and has over 100 free songs plus a new free track every week. Haven't tried rock band and will not till there's a price drop.

gigidey

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2008
I downloaded Rock Band last night and I love it, its a huge step up from Tap Tap Revenge 3. :)

lucas

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
Australia
You should really give tap tap revenge 3 a shot! It's only 99 cents and has over 100 free songs plus a new free track every week. Haven't tried rock band and will not till there's a price drop.

did they introduce an audible penalty for missing notes in tap tap revenge 3? the first two sucked balls because their was no audible feedback when you were doing well or ****ing up. I wouldnt shell out a dollar for more of the same

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
This game (Rock Band for the iPhone) is miles above anything else out there. It plays almost exactly like the console game. The song mapping isn't half bad. Definitely worth $9.99 especially if you are a fan of the game and need a Rock Band fix on the go.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I played almost every music game available on the App store...and the quality of the product is rather impressive...on the surface.

The online mode is lacking. The timing is a little off...and God forbid the notes where they have to be hit next to each other...won't register properly.

Is the game better than Tap Tap 3? Presentation...yes. Gameplay - if EA can issue an update to correct the timing...yes. Online? Hell no. Tap Tap 3 wins easily in the online department. Very social and fun.

If you like Rock Band you will love it on your iPhone (recommend on 3GS...no lag for me). Despite some flaws - it is a quality product and be hard pressed to not admit it was worth the 10 bucks.

*If you want quality products - support the higher prices. Companies that lower prices make it difficult for quality products to be continued...

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Although I'm very tempted, I'm going to wait a bit longer before I get the game. Mainly, it's to see if EA improves the noted shortcomings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.