Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigWilly1231

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
First post but I have been reading the forum for a while. I have a question. I just bought a Mac Pro and currently have no need for my dual 2.0 G5. It still works (sorta). It would power up then shutdown but if I cleaned the permissions it would work again. Im sure you know the routine.

The question I have is what should I do with the old machine, I mean how much is it worth if I sold it with No Hard Drive. I used the hard drive as a 3rd Hard Drive in my new Mac Pro

I know the machine works because I used it every day. I just needed an upgrade.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
You can sell it, part it out, keep it for a redundant workstation, backup, or use it for a low-performance rendering machine.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i was going to recommend a closet file server. but as its not stable i wouldnt recommend it.

i was also thinking of selling it or giving it to charity, but again as above. sell the working parts.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Oh I missed that, sorry.

In case that the G5 still runs without issues, it would make a very good fileserver, even though it needs a lot power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.