Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

121957-magicm_500.jpg

Apple introduced a new multi-touch mouse today called "Magic Mouse". The mouse uses the same multi-touch technology found in the iPhone, iPod Touch, and Mac notebook trackpads. The entire surface of the mouse is a seamless multi-touch surface.

The new mouse comes standard with the new iMacs introduced today and is also available separately for $69.
"Apple is the Multi-Touch leader, pioneering the use of this innovative technology in iPhone, iPod touch and Mac notebook trackpads," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Apple's Multi-Touch technology allows us to offer an easy to use mouse in a simple and elegant design."

122036-gestures_500.jpg

The gesture commands allow users to scroll through documents, pan across images, or swipe to move forward or backward through web pages or photos. It is said to work for both left and right handed users and gesture commands can be configured in the System Preferences. Magic Mouse is Bluetooth wireless enabled and will be available at the end of October.

Article Link: Apple Introduces Magic Mouse - A Multi-Touch Mouse

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Still not buying it.

Why? And we get that you're not buying it. I will buy.

Apple Store Southpoint (Durham NC) and Crabtree (Raleigh NC) both do not have it until next week. Well, technically crabtree said something stupid, but we'll call it next week. ;)

I'm interested in it.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
I'm rather intrigued.. Sounds like it could be pretty good and fixes the problem that the mighty mouse had with the scroll ball.

I wonder if this will also work under my bootcamp installation of Windows 7, though...? Sadly, the Apple site only lists OS X.

bleimone

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
other gestures

I am surprised that this mouse is lacking the other nice gesture features like "pinch open close" and four finger expose. I wonder if that can be update via software.

looks sweet though

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I am surprised that this mouse is lacking the other nice gesture features like "pinch open close" and four finger expose. I wonder if that can be update via software.

looks sweet though

yeah, I thought pinch to zoom would be a given. :-/ Looks nice, and a lot better than the mighty mouse, but I'll stick with logitech I think.

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
death to the scrollball! :D

undecided if i should get a Magic Mouse or a more contoured and ergonomic MX 1100.

Logitech makes amazing mice. I have one of their laser mice and it fits perfectly into my hand. Still going strong too, no problems whatsoever. I think I've had it for at least 6 months.

kaypay

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
No Three Finger Expose?

I hope I'm wrong, but from the demo video on Apple's website, it looks like they didn't include three finger gestures like three finger swipe for expose. Without that, this isn't much different from the old mighty mouse with the scroll ball...

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
I'm getting one. Looks REALLY sleek.

Apple cash registers will be going CHA-CHING tonight so they will.

Post if you get one.... i'm in glasgow later this week and will be buying one definitely if they have stock.

UK online store says 5-7 business days to ship! :(

RaZaK

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
what about the Mighty Mouse lawsuit...Waaaah!!!

I guess that no-name company can say goodbye to getting any future money on damages for using the Mighty Mouse name.:rolleyes:

Let's see which stupid company comes out of the woodwork to claim the Magic Mouse name. lol :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.