Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your Magic Mouse scratched?

• Yes, My Magic Mouse is significantly scratched already

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Yes, my Magic Mouse is showing hair-line or finite scratches.

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • No, my Magic Mouse is no showing scratches significant or otherwise.

Votes: 43 38.1%
  • I have not received the Magic Mouse but came to this thread for information.

Votes: 41 36.3%

• Total voters

coolchan

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2006
I care (and I'm sure many others as well) when any product i paid a lot of money for is scratched up like a cereal box toy.

If you are afraid of it getting scratched, don't buy/use it. They are made to be used not to be looked at.

iphonematt

Jul 10, 2007
So far no scratches, but I have only had it for 15 minutes so I have no clue. I am hoping the top of it is fairly scratch resistant though.

FRRYY

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2005
i don't understand this question.

Are other people's palms as rough as sand paper?

Or do you mean if you drop the mouse?

Otherwise I don't understand how it can scratch.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
I think this is possibly OCD - if you have time (beyond the initial week long "oooh & ahhh" period) to sit gazing at your mouse, biting your nails with the worry that it may POSSIBLY get a tiny scratch on the WHITE (hence, hardly noticeable) surface, then you need to evaluate your OCD mannerisms.

A mouse is there to perform a task - if you want it to look nice, buy two of them, polish the other one and stick it to the wall so you can admire it!.

Failing that, surely there must be some kind of protective skin you can buy?.

:D

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
i don't understand this question.

Are other people's palms as rough as sand paper?

Or do you mean if you drop the mouse?

Otherwise I don't understand how it can scratch.

I made this thread hoping to see that other people had not had this issue. This is a gizmodo review.
It also can't manage to stay free from scratches, similar to white MacBooks that also get scratched very easily. But the blemishes don't interfere with the mouse's functionality—it's just painful to watch any new product lose its pristine finish so quickly

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Mine has a few scratches. Don't really notice them though.

mmscratches.png

jrob6716

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2002
I think this is possibly OCD - if you have time (beyond the initial week long "oooh & ahhh" period) to sit gazing at your mouse, biting your nails with the worry that it may POSSIBLY get a tiny scratch on the WHITE (hence, hardly noticeable) surface, then you need to evaluate your OCD mannerisms.

A mouse is there to perform a task - if you want it to look nice, buy two of them, polish the other one and stick it to the wall so you can admire it!.

Failing that, surely there must be some kind of protective skin you can buy?.

:D

Seriously OCD is an understatement. GET OVER IT , its a tool and meant to be used.

AppleThis&That

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
How would you scratch it? I've never scratched a mouse in my life. I think it would be as durable as the surface on the Mighty Mouse and haven't scratched that one.

Unless Freddy Krueger is using your Mac. Hmmmmm....Ha! Haaa! Haaaaaa! (I know lame joke. :() Hey, it's Halloween tomorrow. Getting in the spirit. :D

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Theres plenty of things that could scratch it easily...

- Rings on fingers
- Long or rough nails - especially when scrolling up fast
- banging the mouse on the the side of the keyboard - that will make noticeable digs on the edge of the top shell.

lets hope the tops not made of the same stuff the original iPod nano was from, that thing got scratched before you got it out of its box.

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
If you are afraid of it getting scratched, don't buy/use it. They are made to be used not to be looked at.

lol what crap... people wouldn't be spending $69 on a mouse if the magic mouse looked like a beige bricky device. Looks are everything..

A

ahjjones

lol what crap... people wouldn't be spending $69 on a mouse if the magic mouse looked like a beige bricky device. Looks are everything..
Exactly. Also, a $69 mouse shouldn't scratch.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I think you all mean OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder), as opposed to (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).

Meticulous and perfectionistic are not enough to warrant a diagnosis of OCD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.