Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
wireless

without breaking it, my scroll ball dosent go up

id like to try and clean it, searched google but to no avail

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
wireless

without breaking it, my scroll ball dosent go up

id like to try and clean it, searched google but to no avail

You don't take the mouse apart to clean it. Roll it around upside down on a piece of clean paper. Apple support has a page on cleaning the mighty mouse, you should search there.

Here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302417
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/51/3...fo.apple.com/images/kbase/302417/302417_1.mov

EDIT: Cleaning link from Apple added to MR Guide.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
You don't take the mouse apart to clean it. Roll it around upside down on a piece of clean paper. Apple support has a page on cleaning the mighty mouse, you should search there.

yeah i tried the upside down roll around thing it didnt help

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I've taken a MM apart before, and it's not something I would recommend. The bottom ring of the mouse has little poles that are melted into place. Taking a part the mouse basically require breaking those little poles. The only way to get it to stay back together again is by gluing that bottom ring back on.

CashGap

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Music City, USA
I wasn't able to restore "up" scrolling on my wireless Mighty Mouse with the standard cleaning technique.

I cut a 3/16" wide piece of index card, bent it to a crescent shape, and slid that down between the ball and the mouse body. Sliding it around dislodged a lot of crud.

The standard cleaning technique then removed the crud, and it works perfectly with smooth "feel" (no 'clickiness' in the scroll due to crud).

FYI, YMMV

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Summerville, SC
I wasn't able to restore "up" scrolling on my wireless Mighty Mouse with the standard cleaning technique.

I cut a 3/16" wide piece of index card, bent it to a crescent shape, and slid that down between the ball and the mouse body. Sliding it around dislodged a lot of crud.

The standard cleaning technique then removed the crud, and it works perfectly with smooth "feel" (no 'clickiness' in the scroll due to crud).

FYI, YMMV

Brilliant. This worked when nothing else would.

topmac

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
How to take apart and re-assemble a mac mouse

Okay. I have just successfully taken apart and re-assembled an Apple Mac mouse.

1. You need to take a butter knife and pry off the oval ring. Be sure you have superglue handy. It won't snap back on. You have to glue it.
2. Be careful not to remove the side buttons like I did. They are hard to get back on.
3. Be super careful not to separate the top and the base too far or else the ribbon wire will come undone (like I did) and it is real hard to plug it back into place.
4. You can take the screws out of the trackball unit. The ball won't come out very easily but you can still blow on the ball and get the dust out

To put back together:
1. If you accidentally removed the side-buttons you need to put them back on. There appears to be a very slight curve toward the front of the mouse so I believe each one can only go on it's own side of the mouse. Slightly unscrew the circuit board near the side-buttons so you can get the two notches on the two flanges that stick up. Be sure to re-tighten the screw(s).
2. If you accidentally unplugged the ribbon cable, firmly plug it back in being careful not to bend the cable.
3. Gently snap the top onto the bottom unit making sure the two plastic side pins snap into the two slots.
4. Be careful to put the cord into the proper alignment with the plastic slot.
4. Put LITTLE dabs of superglue on connection points of the big plastic oval ring that is visible from the outside bottom of the mouse. Then press and hold the oval ring onto the mouse.

If you have done it right, all should work.

kfrohr

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
inconsistent/inop ability to click

My clicker was inconsistent and difficult to click and the mouse needed to be replaced after 3 years. I decided to take the mouse apart to explore the problem.

Unless you are going to replace the mouse, I wouldn't recommend taking it apart. I found it very difficult to put back together, specifically, the 2 side buttons have tabs that must line up with opposite holes correctly.

I eventually removed the side buttons and put it back to together. Turns out the mouse is clicking again like new. I never used the side buttons anyway. Until i spend $60 on the new wireless mouse, this will work great.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
yeah i tried the upside down roll around thing it didnt help

Initially for me, putting rubbing alcohol onto a paper towel and then rubbing the mouse ball around worked great, now it does not work at all. I tried the recommended Apple way of fixing it as well but to no avail.

I am getting to the point of cracking my mouse open and performing surgery on it.

It would be nice to have a Magic Mouse version of the Mighty Mouse....it feels so much better in my hand than the Magic Mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.