Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Anyone buy/use one of these?

A little expensive, but sooo cool!

powermat.com.

costs 139$ :(

Looking for reviews/thoughts of what you guys think. I mean, you get a case, which we all spend 30$ on anyways.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Wildcharge makes a cheaper one. They sent me one to review on my site, i haven’t uploaded it yet though. It works really well and it’s only like $80. Still not cheap, but less than PM though.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Smart, but you cant use your phone while plugged in. I dont think wireless charging is worth it until its TRULY wireless. (as in use your phone while charging and not wired.)

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Smart, but you cant use your phone while plugged in. I dont think wireless charging is worth it until its TRULY wireless. (as in use your phone while charging and not wired.)

I would have to venture to say the exact opposite. Take a look at how wireless charging works, I for one would not want electro-magnetic waves actively working on a device I am using. That's just my opinion though.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

How do you figure?

Use the ipod dock and use the phone.

Slip Jigs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
I'm just waiting for the first report of one of these frying the iPhone battery or blowing up the whole freekin phone.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
target already has these on clearence by me. base = $69.99 and the iphone sell is 29.99 and the 8900 shell is 29.99

....just left there. looks like this isnt gonna be too good

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I would have to venture to say the exact opposite. Take a look at how wireless charging works, I for one would not want electro-magnetic waves actively working on a device I am using. That's just my opinion though.

well you better not turn on your phone. also keep it away from most electrical sources.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
While the technology is interesting and not new, it is kind of pointless and expensive right now. Why is it so hard to just use the iPhone charging cable and power adapter? It is smaller and I can take it with me anywhere, while the PowerMat is much larger. The only advantage I see using a PowerMat is that you can charge more than one item at a time. But you still have to plug the PowerMat in and if you don't use the PowerMat iPhone case, then you have to plug in an adapter. So it doesn't save any steps.

Now if my kitchen counter had this technology where I could use my blender and other appliances without out cords, then I would be all over it. And yes I saw the video about it, but it's not ready for prime time yet.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Just saw a commercial on TV about this about buying it at Best Buy so I decided to search this site for Powermat. The idea seems pretty cool but what is so "wireless" about this? I wanna see some Tesla coil design in something like this :D. You still have to have contact with the charging station and add a bulky adapter to the device.

How is this any different than say a universal Magsafe adapter?

I really love the idea about this being implemented in a kitchen counter like previously said since no likes to leave their appliances left out on their counter tops.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
I just bought one of the powermat cases for my iPod Touch 2nd gen simply because I needed a case anyway and for 10.00 more than most cases it is nice for 2 reasons. 1 it gives me the option to buy a powermat base later if I want and 2 I can now charge and sync using a standard MicroUSB cable anywhere anytime. I believe the industry is moving toward standardizing on the MicroUSB cable soon anyway so it makes sense.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The only time wireless charging will take off is if apple enable wireless sync. Can't see that happening until the iPhone gets pre-n

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
The only time wireless charging will take off is if apple enable wireless sync. Can't see that happening until the iPhone gets pre-n

You are right. However there is technically no reason apple could not sync over 802.11g,

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
powermat

powermat sucks because you need to buy 40.00 attatchments for each of your phones which is dumb. I am sure that blackberries will start coming integrated with the chip to wirelessly charge because RIIM makes the powermat

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
powermat sucks because you need to buy 40.00 attatchments for each of your phones which is dumb. I am sure that blackberries will start coming integrated with the chip to wirelessly charge because RIIM makes the powermat

Could you provide a source for that last statement?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
What I hate about this product is that you leave it plugged in, which draws power even when not used. So basically it is an energy vampire and although the amount is low, it all adds up with my other devices that draw power while off.

Still seems easier to just use my iPhone AC power cord/adapter.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
What I hate about this product is that you leave it plugged in, which draws power even when not used. So basically it is an energy vampire and although the amount is low, it all adds up with my other devices that draw power while off.

Still seems easier to just use my iPhone AC power cord/adapter.

Do you unplug all of the wall warts you have as well? Or do you plug them in every time you need to charge your device?

I am not going to defend the price of powermat but I will defend the idea. And again for me it was a case that cost 39.99 vs the typical 29.99 and I get to use a standard sync cable to charge and sync instead of the propriatary ipod cable. The other benefit of the device is the lack of wear and tear on the plug that is in the bottom of the ipod / iphone since you are not constantly unplugging and plugging in a cable to it.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
No I don't always unplug all my electrical devices, but adding more energy vampires to the mix doesn't help my electric bill. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept, I just don't think the PowerMat saves enough time or wear and tear to be worth the cost. Just not that big of a deal to plug my iPhone in to it charge up vers spending $100 for the PowerMat, paying for it to be plugged in all the time and using it's bulky case.

frezkee

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
I did an unboxing of both mats. Review coming soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cONKl9fWA

Still not sure if its worth the price. Leaning slightly to no as the receivers make it pretty costly and the entire process becomes a hassle when you have to remove it from the case. Still waiting for 100% wireless charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.