Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The Magic Mouse runs on Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard, but not Windows or earlier versions of Mac OS X.
System Requirements
  • Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer
  • Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0
  • Existing keyboard and mouse for setup

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can install Apple's driver packages on Windows regardless of the hardware.

That's assuming Apple has released drivers for the Magic Mouse, which they haven't, or it would be fully functional with Windows in Boot Camp.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
That's assuming Apple has released drivers for the Magic Mouse, which they haven't, or it would be fully functional with Windows in Boot Camp.

Says who - you?. Hello Mr Ive - should you not be working hard in Cupertino?. :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Says who - you?. Hello Mr Ive - should you not be working hard in Cupertino?. :D

Says Apple. See my earlier post of Apple's system requirements for the Mighty Mouse. Do you see "Windows driver" mentioned anywhere? Do you see "Windows" mentioned anywhere? Should you not be reading Apple's site and comprehending? :rolleyes:

Everyone else seems to understand the obvious:
Picture 3.jpg
Picture 4.jpg
Picture 7.jpg

tanninman

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Magic Mouse

I have 2 new iMac's and have been pulling my hair out since about 5pm yesterday. The keyboards connected fine the mice no way, I will be going to the apple store later for wired versions, unless someone out there knows something I dont?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Such a mature response! So much factual evidence for your argument! Such irrefutable data! I'm completely underwhelmed! :rolleyes:

By the way, if you come up with any facts to support your claim that it works on Windows, you're welcome to come back here and post them... (such as after Apple releases Windows drivers sometime in the future.)

I have 2 new iMac's and have been pulling my hair out since about 5pm yesterday. The keyboards connected fine the mice no way, I will be going to the apple store later for wired versions, unless someone out there knows something I dont?

Do you have another mouse attached to the iMac while you're configuring the Magic Mouse? It's clearly stated as a requirement.

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
By the way, if you come up with any facts to support your claim that it works on Windows, you're welcome to come back here and post them... (such as after Apple releases Windows drivers sometime in the future.)

It is obvious that the mouse will function under generic Windows mouse drivers, albeit without multi-touch features. Why anyone would want to use a mouse without even basic scrolling is beyond me; I think we may have to wait on the code monkies in Cupertino for this one. :D

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
If it works in Bootcamp it will work on any PC by using the driver packages from Bootcamp. You will have to pair the mouse manually. It works that way for the older Mighty Mouse and current Bluetooth keyboard.

tanninman

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Just came back from the genius bar, no magic mouse pairing with XP at this time, left with 2 wired mice

arun21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
I dont want to ditch my mac by any means- i just want to have some mac type of features for my godawful pc at work and the magic mouse is really cool. so if i could use it at work it was quash some of my anger about having to use win xp/dell while at the office. :)

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
So there seems to be a solution out there now. People have extracted Magic Mouse drivers from Apple's recent Windows Bluetooth update for the new iMac

I've installed it on my Mac's Windows 7 installation that had Boot Camp 3 installed which offered only basic mousing functionality before (without any of the scrolling features).
360° Scrolling appears to work now, albeit no settings pane is available as far as I can see. You also have to be much more careful than on OS X not to have any fingers on the mouse surface beside the one that you are scrolling with .

If anyone wants to test this on a generic PC...

EDIT: I should note that scrolling is only barely tolerable with this driver. I couldn't imagine actually using this on a daily basis...

gmcos

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
magic mouse and pc

Apple say that wireless keyboard works only with mac but it's not true .
It works also with any pc ( i use it on my Dell laptop ) .
So i imagine the same for the magic mouse . If i could only have one to try it ....

kmisterk

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
fancy That?

I'm currently using a magic mouse, and I'm running windows seven. And OMG the scroll, zoom, swipe and all that stuff works. How amazing!

No, I'm not joking. It works.

keyfox11

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
Modesto, CA
Apple say that wireless keyboard works only with mac but it's not true .
It works also with any pc ( i use it on my Dell laptop ) .
So i imagine the same for the magic mouse . If i could only have one to try it ....

Glad 2 hear this. I want 2 get a magic mouse and Apple keyboard for my PC but didn't want 2 until I knew they worked. Sounds like I can safely get the keyboard now.

I'm currently using a magic mouse, and I'm running windows seven. And OMG the scroll, zoom, swipe and all that stuff works. How amazing!

No, I'm not joking. It works.

XP is outdated, I know. I haven't spent the money to upgrade yet. Does anyone know if there are drivers or anything to get the magic mouse to work on XP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.