Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to AppShopper, Apple's App Store has surpassed 100,000 approved iPhone and iPod touch applications. The mark is an unofficial milestone, however, as the count of currently available applications stands at only approximately 92,000. The difference results from the removal of applications from the App Store by either Apple or the applications' developers.

Apple's most recent official announcement of App Store application count occurred in late September, when the store surpassed two billion downloads with 85,000 available apps. The 85,000-app figure was repeated at Apple's earnings conference call earlier this week.

Article Link: App Store Passes 100,000 Approved Applications

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
They just changed the voice over in their TV ads to 85,000 from 75,000 apps. And I still can't find more than a handful of useful ones.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
They just changed the voice over in their TV ads to 85,000 from 75,000 apps. And I still can't find more than a handful of useful ones.

This sums up my viewpoint though when they changed the commercial, I was even surprised at how few there were. 100k is decent.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
They really need to overhaul the shopping experience. 100,000 applications is a lot to sift through.

I wonder how many of these 100K are even still in the store?

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Wow thats crazy for the amount of time it's been up. I wonder how many of these are similar to others, or from people who just created an app to do it but won't be around in a few years. Pretty interesting to watch what happens.

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA

agreed.

it was neat at first to see the explosive growth of apps and the many who were getting into apple software development for the first time.

now, sorting through and finding truly worthwhile apps has become too much of a chore and not worth the time.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

No one person needs tons of apps--with the obvious exception of gamers. But what having tons of apps does is a) offer choice within a given function and b) offer a lot of specific-purpose apps that meet very specific needs. Each of which is useless to most, and vital to a few.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
They really need to overhaul the shopping experience. 100,000 applications is a lot to sift through.

I wonder how many of these 100K are even still in the store?

The article specifically states that there are approximately 92,000 currently available in the app store.

hanpa

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
A very misleading number since there are so many apps that are contents packaged in an app, books etc. Despite the large number of "apps", it's hard to find apps since the search feature is not very efficient. Used to read App Shopper but got bored of the huge amount of "apps" that are just contents, not to mention all the silly fart and burp apps. Did a fast check right now, found a "Poop and Fart Jokes" app on the first page...

There must be something wrong with the approval process since the most interesting apps are rejected or crippled due to "user confusion", "duplicated functionality", "risk of bad user experience" etc. while at the same the the number of burp, fart and poop apps are "impressive". Given that, are all those apps good examples according to Apple of clear and unique functionality with superior user experience?

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
I wish they'd hurry up and approve my app. I submitted it 17 days ago and have made two changes so far in order to comply with whatever crazy submission rules they have. :mad:

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
The article specifically states that there are approximately 92,000 currently available in the app store.

Thanks Nick - I didn't read the article. :(

92,000 is still an amazing selection of apps to sift through.

rjtyork

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Now they just need to approve the google voice application. With A list, EVERY call is free. Lol Plus it's free texting. Screw ATT since they've been screwing us.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No one person needs tons of apps--with the obvious exception of gamers. But what having tons of apps does is a) offer choice within a given function and b) offer a lot of specific-purpose apps that meet very specific needs. Each of which is useless to most, and vital to a few.

don't forget the healthy ecosystem of competition bringing out the best of functionality when apps get updated to compete. This has worked so well go Symbian especially S60. I'd like too more quality apps like others but we won't get that until API's to calendar, notes, bookmarks and home screen on locked mode are opened up to developers. I want an app that can do incredibly powerful PIM suite functions that save entries into core iPhone system so that when I sync with my PC & Outlook I don't loose information. I'd also like this sync'd to the Me.com cloud service as well.

Rente wipe is great but if I'm using seperate 3rd. Party apps for PIM use then all that data is gone. Currently S60 Nokia devices with Ovi services offers this for free in ALL but one country. And third party developers like SBSH can have Calendar or contact bookmarks that have access to read/write to the core pim API thus cloud syncing is fully enabled. But the cloud sync must be done manually.

^ I want this on iPhone! Or beef up the core PIM better. Please Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.