Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Let's say that I have an application that involves entertainment, and I want to implement RSS feeds from some websites into it. Of course, the sources of these RSS feeds will be mentioned.

But, is it legal? Is implementing RSS feeds from a website into an application for commercial use legal?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The feeds are there to be used. As long as they are properly attributed I would imagine that it's OK. Do they have a terms of use document or similar? Perhaps just drop them an email to ask?

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
The feeds are there to be used. As long as they are properly attributed I would imagine that it's OK. Do they have a terms of use document or similar? Perhaps just drop them an email to ask?

I believe the same thing. I intend to provide the actual link to the linked article in their RSS, that leads to the actual article on their website. I also mention the source of the articles. They don't have the terms of use. At least most of them don't I intend to use the ones that don't have one ;).

However, aren't rss meant to be read? They are free to read, and many sites encourage visitors to provide links to their rss! After all, it's an advertisement to their websites, isn't it?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Without terms it's difficult to say, but they might intend them for end-user use only and be upset about commercial redistribution. But I'd say you are just offering an alternative display. Like any RSS app...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.