Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TomTom's GPS car kit appeared in Apple's U.S. online store a few days ago priced at the expected $119.95, and while it was initially listed as "currently unavailable", the shipping window has now been updated to reflect scheduled ship time of 2-3 weeks.

The car kit appeared in Apple's European online stores several weeks ago, and while shipping was initially scheduled for 1-2 weeks in those countries, availability has subsequently slipped to 4-6 weeks. Several European customers have, however, been able to obtain the kit in person at Apple retail stores.

Article Link: TomTom Car Kit Appears in Apple's U.S. Online Store, Ships in 2-3 Weeks

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
I feel sorry for the people that pay $119 dollars +tax for that, I really do.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
So Tom Tom is releasing the adapter to the Apple store but setting the ship date to 2-3 weeks in the US. Are these available in the Apple walk-in stores right now? Tom Tom originally announced an October availability.

djdole

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
With every one of these TomTom car kit posts the contant drone in my head saying "TOO EXPENSIVE" gets louder and Louder and LOUDER.

It's really a shame that apparently the dudes at TomTom don't seem to have that same feeling that everyone else has. :-\

But who knows. Maybe if I actually see this thing in person I'll realize it can actually cure cancer and dispense pizza and TOTALLY be worth the arm, leg, first-born and a$$ raping that it is.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Won't buy this until the TomTom application is included for free with it. I don't see how anyone would spend $100 for the application and then another $120 on top of that for a glorified iphone cradle?!

I hope no one buys it and they are forced to lower the price. I think $100 for the kit and application combined into one package would be a fair price, hopefully TomTom comes to their senses.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Tom Tom for the iPhone has really been a let down!

120 bucks for a holder? Then 200.00 to have it installed... nope! I wish I could return the software!

They said delivery in Sept... then Oct... now they make it available in the last week of Oct with a 3 week delivery date.... How much do you want to bet if you pre-order it gets delayed even further.

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Everyone whining....good grief. What did you expect?? It's brand name, proprietary to the iPhone, has built-in GPS (presumably for the touch, idk), built-in powered speaker for nav AND hands free calling, oh and the mount, and cable(s) for external power. I certainly wouldn't buy it, but there are a ton who will. The navigon mount is cheaper but it's has none of the features the TomTom mount has. The Navigon is also WAY to expensive for what you get, a piece of plastic, period.

fyre57lp

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
Austin TX
I paid 100+ for a jawbone. I don't see how this is much different. The tomtom app is such a joke, but this car kit looks promising. Im looking forward to hands free calling with navigon leading the way. Make fun if you want. :rolleyes:

Jaques247

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
Reading UK
Had mine for a week now after buying from apple's uk website. I have to say I don't really under stand all the whining. If you can't afford it too bad, that's your issue not TomTom's. Get better jobs ;)

I think it's a great bit of kit and wouldn't be without it.

Can't get my head around needing or wanting to pay 200 for installing, my five year old daughter could have installed mine. It was a bit tough licking the suction cup mind!

OnlyShawn

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2004
while I'm not quite such a fan of the price, this isn't simply a holder...it has an enhanced gps module to allow for better and faster gps positioning, especially in areas with poor reception.

personally, I think (following a drop in the price), I'll pick one of these up, and use a different gps app with it, as it doesn't seem that the tomtom one is quite so stellar.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Had mine for a week now after buying from apple's uk website. I have to say I don't really under stand all the whining. If you can't afford it too bad, that's your issue not TomTom's. Get better jobs ;)

I think it's a great bit of kit and wouldn't be without it.

Can't get my head around needing or wanting to pay 200 for installing, my five year old daughter could have installed mine. It was a bit tough licking the suction cup mind!

I'll probably end up buying it just to have.

iJays

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
by overpricing the TomTom app and the cradle, TomTom might be trying to encourage people just to buy the stand-alone TomTom unit because they make more money out of it.
if the TomTom app is cheap, TomTom might just go back to its original roots of just being a software company. They just used to ride on any gps hardware before but greed is more powerful.

nzoptom

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
No FM transmitter on tomtom car kit

How can they leave out the FM transmitter in the car kit??!! Omg. Such a failure

1olive

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Its hard to respond to vapor. Someday there may be an actual tomtom kit that is in the hands of an independent reviewer who can find out the details of its quality and function, then there will be something to talk about. I don't understand why there hasn't been a review copy of the product made available to somebody well before now?:eek:

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX

I'm assuming you don't have the power connection run into the dash in into the car's fuse box.. and the connection to your stereo system is not plugged in behind the radio... about a $200 - $300 to have done professionally. If your 5 year old can do it, great! Now you don't have save their college fund!

I think the complaint with the cost is- it should be CHEAPER to use your phone as a GPS then going out to the store and buying a GPS system. A good GPS is about 200 - 250 dollars. Tom Tom app, 100.00 and the mount... 120.00.

Too much when Tom Tom is not even providing the hardware for the GPS!

The software should be under 50 and the mount should be about the same. That gives someone the reason to use their phone as a GPS and not buy a separate unit.

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
Ok, what I don't understand is this:
Why would you pay over $200 total for a GPS system that you already have to own a $400 screen for?
Why not just spend $200 on a dedicated GPS system that stays in your car?

Check Google Shopping. Most of Tom Tom's standalone units cost quite a bit less than what you'd spend on the software and cradle. What? Just so you can use your iPhone for one more function (a function that is already built-in)? Why wouldn't I just buy a regular Tom Tom? Then I could even talk on the phone while finding my way around.

Overpriced piece of trash, but it'll sell because people love gadgets and even more than that, people love gadgets for their gadgets.

DrewG5

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2009
I would have been more than glad to buy this product if it was reasonably priced. For the bloated price of the TomTom app and than the addonal gouging with the cradle TomTom will be lucky if I even consider one of there PND's in the future. Sadly I was a huge fan of TomTom but from the looks of it others will eat their cake by offering a better product at a by far better price.

neilp4453

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
I told myself months ago that if the GPS car kit + app isn't competitively priced with standalone GPS units...I wasn't going to bite.

But I'm not gonna count myself out of buying one just yet...I'm gonna wait to see what TomTom does for the holidays concerning this combo.

MacU

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
4x the amount any consumer would spend

Ok, what I don't understand is this:
Why would you pay over $200 total for a GPS system that you already have to own a $400 screen for?
Why not just spend $200 on a dedicated GPS system that stays in your car?

Check Google Shopping. Most of Tom Tom's standalone units cost quite a bit less than what you'd spend on the software and cradle. What? Just so you can use your iPhone for one more function (a function that is already built-in)? Why wouldn't I just buy a regular Tom Tom? Then I could even talk on the phone while finding my way around.

Overpriced piece of trash, but it'll sell because people love gadgets and even more than that, people love gadgets for their gadgets.

Totally agree. Why ANYONE would pay for this is beyond me. Good idea spoiled by greed. If it was a $50 app and another $20 stand, maybe. I still wouldn't do it simply due to the fact that a stand alone unit that doesn't rely on AT&T's crappy network is only $120.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
What happens if Apple changes the design of the phone and the new one doesn't fit the cradle?

rgl6237

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
sirius dock

Question: Can you utilize the tom tom application while listing to sirius application? and can you stream music via bluetooth all why receiving a phone call?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.