Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Hey all,

I think it's the new text replacement stuff in Snow Leopard that's causing this 'problem'. Every time I type more than one capital using the Shift key, the other capitals are replaced by lower case letters. Now this is useful when you mistakenly started a sentence with two capitals, but I find it extremely annoying when I actually do need multiple capitals. And using caps lock all the time is annoying as well.

Is there a way to turn this off? I like the rest of the hole text replacement thing, and would like to keep that turned on. But I can't really find anything that has to do with 'accidental double capitals' or something like that.

TIA! (yeah, that took backspaces and retyping :mad:)

C64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Hmm.. I was stupid :eek:

I now notice it has to do with Synergy; I use it to work with my desktop keyboard/mouse on my MacBook over the network, but somehow it doesn't register all the shift-strokes. I'm typing this on my MacBook itself, and no problems.. Oh well, another problem solved :)

PhilaRobert

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
Shift key only capitalizes first letter

I'm having the same problem in ALL my typing: when I hold down the shift key for multiple letters, only the first is capitalized; the rest come out lower case. This is not a replacement behavior: I don't see the Uppercase letter get replaced by the lowercase one; only the first is uppercase.

Is there some new text replacement routine? Can this be customized? I can't stand having to release the shift key between letters or to have to shift-lock, shift unlock.

Thanks for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.