Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Hi guys - can anyone help me please? My old 24" iMac died on me (kernel panic and probable hardware failure). I am getting the new 27" iMac (I guess the i5 quad, as I use Aperture a lot).

I have 2 memory sticks (1GB and 2GB) from the old 24" which I want to use in the new 27", to increase the memory from 4GB to 7GB.

However, the old memory sticks are 667 speed (Kingston KVR667D2S5) - will they work together with the 1066 mhz ddr3 sdram in the new macs? As there are 4 slots, there is space, but does the memory have to be the same speed? Will it slow it down?

If I cannot use it, I will probably give it to a friend with an old imac - but maybe there is some use I can get out of the broken machine.

Thanks!
JF

johnnyfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Any reason it won't work - is it because the slots are physically different, or because the speed is different?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Any reason it won't work - is it because the slots are physically different, or because the speed is different?

The speed and the slots are different. The 667Mhz RAM is DDR2 and the new iMac uses DDR3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.