Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jahsavi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
(Hope this is the correct thread to post in) Submitted to macrumors but maybe you guys can help get the ball rolling. My friend and I worked for three solid weeks on a "working" iphone costume. Our iphones connect directly to the costume. Here's a photo and video of the suit. Let me know what you think.

12137_504622357602_201101445_30136680_665074_n.jpg

7417_504619014302_201101445_30136589_6733894_n.jpg

HD video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjBqFMwM08

4057313386_2a751ddf19_o.jpg

Thanks guys,
savio (biggest apple fan in the world)

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Hasn't this been done before?

Yes, back in 2007.

And to the OP, "fully working" implies the touch controls work... So I doubt it is "fully" working ;)

But props for building these kickass costumes! And risking your LCD televisions! Looks like you put a lot of work into them. Hopefully you don't run into any kids who think those boxes are full of candy :eek:

jahsavi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Jeezus, how much do those costumes weigh?

Around 85 lbs... we have a car battery between our legs lol sucks but worth it.

Yes, back in 2007.

And to the OP, "fully working" implies the touch controls work... So I doubt it is "fully" working ;)

But props for building these kickass costumes! And risking your LCD televisions! Looks like you put a lot of work into them. Hopefully you don't run into any kids who think those boxes are full of candy :eek:

Well "working" sort of.. lol

Hasn't this been done before?

We are the same guys that made the first LCD iphone costumes two years ago. Just now its improved :)

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
Geez... Talk about multi-posting. It's times like these where I get really peeved that I got a warning or write-up or whatever it would be call on here for ONE multi-post when I first started posting to these. Mod edited my posts into one too. I get so bummed that I have that warning on my profile still. :(

Anywho, the costumes are okay. I guess, since I do not love the iPhone, I do not love the costume. :p I bet they are a lot of work though.

jahsavi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Why no round corners?

The plan was to create the shell out of fiberglass (smooth look, corners everything) even had the mold ready to go but we ran out of time after the first few layers and came up with a plastic shell last minute. I know... I wish it had smoother edges. I'm a super big perfectionist. I think the one comment about it resembling a "zune" was kind of an insult lol. haha

My favorite part is that you can play music, games, videos, even call without any problems with the output. The 2007 model was only a looping video off a video ipod. This years model is a big achievement in iphone costume making. :)

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
Around 85 lbs... we have a car battery between our legs lol sucks but worth it.

Well "working" sort of.. lol

We are the same guys that made the first LCD iphone costumes two years ago. Just now its improved :)

Wow, quite a lot of work you did. Very cool!

Geez... Talk about multi-posting. It's times like these where I get really peeved that I got a warning or write-up or whatever it would be call on here for ONE multi-post when I first started posting to these. Mod edited my posts into one too. I get so bummed that I have that warning on my profile still. :(

Anywho, the costumes are okay. I guess, since I do not love the iPhone, I do not love the costume. :p I bet they are a lot of work though.

Yeah really. I used a Flight of the Concords joke once, saying, "too many 'dudes' on the dance floor" and I got written up for "insulting other members". :confused::confused:

DJFriar

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2006
So i there a writeup anywhere on how you two did this? I'm mainly interested in getting the video out to work. Links?

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
So i there a writeup anywhere on how you two did this? I'm mainly interested in getting the video out to work. Links?

Me too! I just want to know how you output the video from the iPhone to the screens! Please show us! Loving the costumes btw :D

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
how did you mirror the iphone screen?

I want to be able to hook my iPod touch to a 10inch screen

jahsavi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Pretty cool! :)

At 85 pounds, that must get heavy after a while.

Yeah... It does. Friday night I wore the costume for an hour and half strait.

Damn. I was working on a fully-functional Motorolla DynaTAC costume, but you guys had to one up me.

ahh the old bricks... thats actually not a bad idea for a costume. lol ...Kick it old school :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.