Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Yeah sucks it doesn't have HDMI. But I'm positive you can connect a PS3 or 360 to the 27 inch iMac only with the video input.

zrankin

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
so bad news it is...

i got the "Atlona" dvi to mini displayport active converter a few minutes ago... got everything set up, plugged in and then turned everything on... a nothing happened... did command f3 still nothing... so i plugged the hdmi to dvi cable into my other monitor changed the resolution to 1080p ... plugged it back in to the converter, still nothing... then i turned the converter off unplugged from imac... turned it back on and then plugged it back into the imac... this time the screen switched to a completely black screen ... so in conclusion lol sounds like this way doesn't work either but ill still keep messing with it and let you guys know... oh and btw i have a hdmi to mini dp passive adapter and that for sure doesnt work...

so i manned up like someone once said on here and the outcome was bad.. lol

Crevice

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
i got the "Atlona" dvi to mini displayport active converter a few minutes ago... got everything set up, plugged in and then turned everything on... a nothing happened... did command f3 still nothing... so i plugged the hdmi to dvi cable into my other monitor changed the resolution to 1080p ... plugged it back in to the converter, still nothing... then i turned the converter off unplugged from imac... turned it back on and then plugged it back into the imac... this time the screen switched to a completely black screen ... so in conclusion lol sounds like this way doesn't work either but ill still keep messing with it and let you guys know... oh and btw i have a hdmi to mini dp passive adapter and that for sure doesnt work...

so i manned up like someone once said on here and the outcome was bad.. lol

Well you are good man, keep trying! Haha, looks like we are going to have to wait for the belkin adapter. I am just curious how there cable is going work. If you look around the net, everyone is asking about this function, I hope we find out soon.

zrankin

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks zrankin, this is disappointing. Now try it with the 24" LED display :D

yeah its definitely disappointing lol and no thanks im gonna have to start selling everything i have so i can eat haha... cmd f2 is the right sequence but that didnt work either

zrankin

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
ive messed with resolutions, thats not working, rebooted with connected and on still nothing ... it definitely recognizes that something is connected now bc i can cmd f2 and it switches black, waits,waits,waits and then switches back to mac..

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
ive messed with resolutions, thats not working, rebooted with connected and on still nothing ... it definitely recognizes that something is connected now bc i can cmd f2 and it switches black, waits,waits,waits and then switches back to mac..
It's most likely the resolution. I think Atlona suggests a scaler in addition to the DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter if you are going to depart from the 1920x1200 resolution that is supported by the adapter. For example, Atlona says this on their website:

Note: HDMI source such as PS3 or Apple TV could also be used; however since output resolutions of the sources don`t match with the display you would also need to add an HDMI to HDMI scaler AT-HD560 between source and AT-DP200

Further, this resolution issue has been discussed in previous posts.

Crevice

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
It's most likely the resolution. I think Atlona suggests a scaler in addition to the DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter if you are going to depart from the 1920x1200 resolution that is supported by the adapter. For example, Atlona says this on their website:

Further, this resolution issue has been discussed in previous posts.

Zrankin...You could be the first to do it, you are almost there...buy the scaler and you will be there...you can do it...do it for all of us, show us we can follow in your footsteps...be our guinea pig!

zrankin

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Zrankin...You could be the first to do it, you are almost there...buy the scaler and you will be there...you can do it...do it for all of us, show us we can follow in your footsteps...be our guinea pig!

lol im not gonna waste anymore money ... i think ill just wait and use my perfect 24" lg... but this is the missing key = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260416958980#ht_5548wt_1167 ... so if ppl are willing to donate i'd be willing to test it lol

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
lol im not gonna waste anymore money ... i think ill just wait and use my perfect 24" lg... but this is the missing key = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260416958980#ht_5548wt_1167 ... so if ppl are willing to donate i'd be willing to test it lol
That unit seems to have the same maximum output resolution as the bare Atlona video converter (1920x1200). There may not be any scalers that go as high as 2560x1440 or if they do they could be gigantically expensive. I think someone will have to produce a unit that is built specifically for the 27" iMac, I guess the Belkin unit will be it.

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Belkin will have the adapter ready in January. I found a link but am posting on my iPhone. Read it from an insider from belkin
You are referring to this excerpt:
Unfortunately, the dual Mini DisplayPort cable from Belkin won't let you input video from other devices. For that you'll have to wait until January. Details on what Belkin's cooking up are scant, so we can't offer much information about the forthcoming adapter other than that it's on the way and it does more than connect two Macs. But given that you can output the iMac over HDMI, DVI, and other formats with the Mini DisplayPort adapter cable, we'd expect that any updated input adapter would include those formats as well. Our hope is that, similar to all-in-ones from a variety of PC vendors, the new cable from Belkin will allow you to input video to the iMac from game consoles, cable boxes, Blu-ray players, HD camcorders, and other such devices currently bound to your television. The appeal of such capability should be obvious, but we'll unfortunately have to wait until the adapter hits before we can test it out.
Apple iMac 27-inch Desktop reviews - CNET Reviews

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
You are referring to this excerpt:
Unfortunately, the dual Mini DisplayPort cable from Belkin won't let you input video from other devices. For that you'll have to wait until January. Details on what Belkin's cooking up are scant, so we can't offer much information about the forthcoming adapter other than that it's on the way and it does more than connect two Macs. But given that you can output the iMac over HDMI, DVI, and other formats with the Mini DisplayPort adapter cable, we'd expect that any updated input adapter would include those formats as well. Our hope is that, similar to all-in-ones from a variety of PC vendors, the new cable from Belkin will allow you to input video to the iMac from game consoles, cable boxes, Blu-ray players, HD camcorders, and other such devices currently bound to your television. The appeal of such capability should be obvious, but we'll unfortunately have to wait until the adapter hits before we can test it out.
Apple iMac 27-inch Desktop reviews - CNET Reviews
Problem is, this is likely to be a fairly expensive device. Thus, those who think that they'll just be able to use a cheap, twenty dollar plus adapter are going to be seriously disappointed. I can well imagine that this type of video converter to support the full 2560x1440 resolution on the 27" iMac could run upwards of $200 (U.S.). The real problem appears to be that high resolution. Some of the PC products that support HDMI input run at 1920x1080, so they're basically nothing more than a 1080p TV set.

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Problem is, this is likely to be a fairly expensive device. Thus, those who think that they'll just be able to use a cheap, twenty dollar plus adapter are going to be seriously disappointed. I can well imagine that this type of video converter to support the full 2560x1440 resolution on the 27" iMac could run upwards of $200 (U.S.).
That isn't an unreasonable price if something such as this worked seamlessly and allowed lag-free gaming.

jordwest

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
If the solution is going to be an active converter (ie expensive and needs to be powered by usb) how about just going for a USB digital TV receiver with a video input? Or maybe there exists a dedicated video input device.

Then again, maybe it would be too laggy for gaming.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
fpnc said:
Problem is, this is likely to be a fairly expensive device. Thus, those who think that they'll just be able to use a cheap, twenty dollar plus adapter are going to be seriously disappointed. I can well imagine that this type of video converter to support the full 2560x1440 resolution on the 27" iMac could run upwards of $200 (U.S.). The real problem appears to be that high resolution. Some of the PC products that support HDMI input run at 1920x1080, so they're basically nothing more than a 1080p TV set.
That isn't an unreasonable price if something such as this worked seamlessly and allowed lag-free gaming.
That might be true. However, that won't satisfy those legions of users who have been outright insisting that it will only require a $20 cable to do HDMI/DVI input.

I'm not saying that $200 would be unfair given the apparent technical issues involved, just that the backlash is going to be pretty significant if the cost is really that high.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Yeah I just read CNETs review and I thought that was cool, especially since Im finally getting around to having some extra cash (my advice people stay the hell away from buying on credit) by January and want to get the i7 27'. I just am not sure how the whole sound thing works. This also works out cuz I wanted to buy a Samsung LED eventually, and now I could go for another while until I went out and bought one.

spenwat

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
I'm hoping to use this iMac as a monitor for my windows machine, instead of waiting for one of these active converters that could cost up to $200 should I just get a new video card with a displayport output for $150 like the HD 5750? Will this work just like it would with a MB of MBP?

IChing

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
I found this maybe someone can tell us if it would work?

We've got some good techies here so
I thought I'd throw this in for discussion

Kanex Mini DisplayPort Adapter To HDMI 1080p Video w/ Digital Audio

Price: $69.99
UPC: 094922327727
Sku: MDPHDMITOS

Bring a true digital experience to your home theater with our fully digital Mini DisplayPort adapter that supports 1080p video and digital audio for Apple® MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iMac.

With audio limitation from Mini Displayport we've combined Apple® Mini Jack digital audio output with Mini DisplayPort digital video output into a single HDMI output solution to bring a true audio video experience with full HD 1080p video and full digital audio 5.1 support. Powered by USB so no external power source is needed.

Features
Design for Apple® Unibody 2009 Models. MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iMac
Supports Mini DisplayPort 1.1a input, USB 2.0, Apple® Mini Jack Optical Audio Input
Input Video Signal: Mini DisplayPort
Input Audio Signal: Apple® Mini Jack
Supports HDMI 165MHz/1.65Gbps per channel (4.95 Gbps all channel) bandwidth
Supports HDMI resolution of up to 1080p
Supports HDMI 8 bit per channel (24 bit all channel) deep color
Supports uncompressed 5.1 channel audio such as LPCM
Supports compressed 5.1 channel audio such as DTS Digital, Dolby Digital

http://kanexlive.com/products/item.aspx?id=3495

I'm buying a 27 in January and hope the issue will be resolved by then

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.