Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

popa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Agreed

"I have the same problem with my BD Remote Control and wireless guitars, so it clearly has nothing to do with charging the batteries."

Agreed. Unless you're trying to do these things at a very large distance (greater than 33 feet) from the PS3, you either have a defective PS3 or you're getting jammed by a nearby signal somehow. If you live in an apartment, you might check with your neighbors to see what wireless devices they're using.

:cool:

Tybalt5150

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
I too had a disconnect issue on my 40gig PS3. After ten min of play I would get the 4 blinky lights. ( 4 blinky lights is disconnect! Not low batt. Thats 1 blinky light for those who might not know.) Neither connecting the usb or resetting the controller would do anything. The ps3 acted like it had 'froze'. Even shutting it off with switch in front wouldnt work. Green light would blink for shutdown, but would never shut off. Had to shutdown with power switch in back. Would power up ok after that but would last only ten min before I got 4 blinky lights. For me I found it to be interferance with my wireless router. Default for router was autochannel, and after manually setting to channel 11 (no special reason, I just picked that one) all is good.

blizzou

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
Hello people,

i got the exact same problem with my 40gb ps3 and it's happening from a while now.. the problem seems to have nothing to do with batteries or bluetooth, while it happens even if my controller is connected with usb..

it can happen either in a game, while watching a blu-ray or just doing nothing, but the strange thing is that the ps3 doesn't stop, only the controller stops and it's then impossible to get it work until I reboot the ps3 with the back power button, because of course it doesn't work with the correct way to power off !

the only way i solved the problem for now it's by using a ps2 controller, power off the SIXAXIS, and when it happens with the ps2 controller, I power on the SIXAXIS, it works, and then I power off ps2 controller and I do it again in the other way when it happens... really really really FRUSTRATING, but at least I can save my game progression or shutdown ps3 correctly..

add:

I just called Sony and explained the problem... the person seemed to be aware of the problem and told me directly to send it to the SAV.. so I asked why is this happening and he just told me : "you know, this is a very technical product, and problems are frequent.... this is a bluetooth problem..." hell yeah, so hopefully my ps3 is still under warranty but now I regret my purchase and just hope this won't happen again... good luck guys

R41D3N

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
this is what to do:

-PS3 system is ON
-plug in USB cable into PS3 system
-plug USB cable into controller
-press PS button until it connects
-reset controller (its still plugged in on USB) (reset is on back of controller, tiny whole)
-remove USB cable from controller

this is how i got mine working :)

greetz

the-t-e-e-m

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
Enough with the batteries

Tell you all what, my 80 gig, bought Christmas eve '08 worked flawless. Never one single problem. All we really play is CoD WaW online. Used a Logitech USB headset to talk with friends. Kid passing in between took out cord on two different headsets at 30 bucks a piece. So this last time I went a bought a Plantronics Discovery 925 Bluetooth headset so there would be no more cord for kids to trip on.

Followed directions for pairing to my PS3. First night it worked flawlessly. Played until headset battery was dead. Second night is when I started getting the blinking lights. Although, my controller will just stop working, still with one light on. Couple seconds later, I get "Reconnect Controller" on screen. All four lights blink for a few seconds then all shut off. I hit the PS button and controller will turn on, sync, work for 3-4 seconds, then do the same thing.

Now I know its not my batteries. I let them charge for 4 hours and still have the same problem.

Now, this might sound weird, but if I turn on my Bluetooth headset first, then turn on PS3 using controller, I have no issues. Play all day. Turn headset on after PS3 is already on, I get about 5-10 minutes before all hell breaks loose.

I dont know, but it does sound like a Bluetooth issue to me. Not a single problem until the introduction of the Bluetooth headset.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents and try to confuse everybody a little more...

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I have 2 ps3's in the house (1 downstairs, 2nd upstairs). This always happens when I try to use a controller paired to unit 1 on unit 2. I actually have to turn off unit 1, because it keeps booting everytime I use it.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Tell you all what, my 80 gig, bought Christmas eve '08 worked flawless. Never one single problem. All we really play is CoD WaW online. Used a Logitech USB headset to talk with friends. Kid passing in between took out cord on two different headsets at 30 bucks a piece. So this last time I went a bought a Plantronics Discovery 925 Bluetooth headset so there would be no more cord for kids to trip on.

Followed directions for pairing to my PS3. First night it worked flawlessly. Played until headset battery was dead. Second night is when I started getting the blinking lights. Although, my controller will just stop working, still with one light on. Couple seconds later, I get "Reconnect Controller" on screen. All four lights blink for a few seconds then all shut off. I hit the PS button and controller will turn on, sync, work for 3-4 seconds, then do the same thing.

Now I know its not my batteries. I let them charge for 4 hours and still have the same problem.

Now, this might sound weird, but if I turn on my Bluetooth headset first, then turn on PS3 using controller, I have no issues. Play all day. Turn headset on after PS3 is already on, I get about 5-10 minutes before all hell breaks loose.

I dont know, but it does sound like a Bluetooth issue to me. Not a single problem until the introduction of the Bluetooth headset.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents and try to confuse everybody a little more...

I'd say its coincidence. I've had 3 BT headsets paired to my PS3, I have the official one paired to it now. I have had no problems pairing any controllers to my PS3, nor keeping them paired. I never use the original controller that came with my 60GB unit, but I have 4 Japanese DS3 controllers paired to it right now with no issues at all.

Somewhere in this thread I believe I posted SCEA support information, give them a jingle.

DavidB0325

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
Thank you

Have you tried re-syncing the controllers? I had my controllers do that from time to time and if the syncing don't work then try resetting the controller(its the small little button in the back of the controller)

Try it out and tell me how it goes.

Bless

you are genius thank you:D

Tnerb4206

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
magnetism

ok so the same thing happens to me right, but i was using my controller and i fell asleep, only for about 3 hours and when i woke up the thing didn't work anymore, i started looking in the PS3 book, and under the section for the actual hard drive in the book, it said don't let the hard drive come in contact with magnetism or things like wristwatches, and i realized that my controller was sitting right next to my watch while i was asleep, so im wondering if it has something to do with magnetism or something like that

popa

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2008
Watch near controller OK

The hard drive stores information using electromagnetism so it's conceivable that a nearby magnetized metal object might cause a problem, but your controller does not store information and so no interaction is possible. :)

TrippD

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2009
Multiple problems

I just had the four blinking light problem and reading this forum I think there are multiple causes for this error.

The error is a bluetooth connection failure of some kind.

It looks like the failure could be from the following:

-controller needs to be reset - press the recessed button on the back with a paper clip.
-interference from a wireless router. If the problem came out of the blue this is probably not the problem, unless you are in an apartment and a neighbor brought in a router with a strong signal.
-There is some sort of bizarre deadlock between the PS3 and the controller - this is the error I had. I don't know how the PS3 and controller get into this state, but if they do the only way I know to fix it (and believe me, I tried about a zillion things) is to do the following:

-PS3 system is ON after booting up
-reset controller (its still plugged in on USB) (recessed button in a hole on the back, use a paperclip to push it)
-press PS button - it should connect (finally)

Whew.

I hope this helps someone else out because it really bugs me when things don't work the way they are supposed to work and I know how aggravating that can be.

Rock on.

louislfc

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
niceone trippd

my ps3 just started doing this same thing with my sixaxis an ds3 pads.
I have 2 ps3's so i knew the pads were fully charged an workin on my other console so i could rule that out, an i knew i wasnt getting any wireless interferance coz my other ps3 was working fine. so i knew the issue was my 40gb console itself.

Reading through this thread i tried all the sensible solutions suggested,

I reset the controllers from the button on the back - no joy
I tried turning it off by the power - no joy
I done hard reset - no joy

but when i tried triddpd suggestion of reseting the controller while it was connected via usb, then unplug usb an press ps button, problem solved,

niceone mate

SOME MIST

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
I just had the same problem with my dualshock controller. I have the 80gb mgs4 bundle, and the controller was fully charged but would only blink the 4 lights when used wirelessly. I tried jamming that reset button and turning off my ps3 with the switch on the back and no dice.

then I tried this out step by step
-PS3 system is ON after booting up
-reset controller (its still plugged in on USB) (recessed button in a hole on the back, use a paperclip to push it)
-press PS button - it should connect (finally)
and it works!

sportboy1

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
Contoller death

PLEASE PLEASE HELP - I began playing FIFA 10 last night on my PS3, updated the systme and began practise mode for 5 minutes. Suddenly, my controller seemed to die. All lights etc went out. It is a Sony Dualshock 3 SIXAXIS controller. I tried connecting to PS3 and resetting with button on the back of the controller but there still is no life in my contrller. Can anyone help or shed some light on what i should do please?

AmericanAirman

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
I had the same exact problem with the lights, but it only occured once after I let my controller battery die completely. It causes the controller and PS3 to un-sync. I charged the controller and reset the PS3 and no problems since.:D

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I just had this problems right now lol blinking lights when in wireless mode,
just reset and it worked again.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
The problem is back again and now nothing works ):

EDIT: I tried this and it worked again, (could this be a defective controller i have?)

1-Press the tiny reset button on the back of the controller

2-Plug in the USB Connection wire

3-Restart Console

4-When loaded, Press the PS Button

5-Disconnect the USB wire

Bassopottomous

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
My PS3 Slim just started doing this to me tonight. I've owned it close to 3 months.

The controller (sixaxis dual shock) was working fine at my friends house. We configured it or the system for my controller to be port 2. I get home and try to play mine and all 4 LED's are flashing. I know it's not broken because it was working. It was also working fine on my system before I went to my friends house. I know it's not the battery either because it still had a pretty good charge when I left there. I can't even turn the system on with the controller. All I'm getting is 4 port LEDS blinking.

I've tried resyncing the controller with the USB cable and it's not working.
I've tried resetting the controller with the button on the back and thats not working either.
I've tried unplugging the system and that didn't help.

The controller is also not working in wired or wireless mode. I don't know what to do anymore.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Mine is still giving me problems everyday, i think they are all defective. Im using a PS3 Slim. Also the HDD starting making clicking noises great :rolleyes:

kord

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
remove usb cord from ps3

I removed the cord that connects the controller to the ps3, which had nothing plugged into it and all my problems disappeared :D

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I heard that this was an issue with the 3.0.x firmware update that everyone got like a week ago. I don't think there is anything anyone can do about it except to ride it out.

AnthonyCM

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
I wish the four blinking lights was my only problem. Got home yesterday, fired up the PS3, played maybe three minutes of Battlefield: BC2, only for the game to freeze up. When I attempted to restart the system...nothing.

The PS3 turns on (light goes green), but there's no picture or sound on the television, and the controller now has the four blinking red lights. Ugh. I've tried the reset, but I still get no pic or sound. Guess it's going back to Sony. Man, I just hope I can get it back by Christmas.

FateStCloud

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
Ok, I did not read all of the messages, but if you want to fix the PS3 blinking light issue and you know it is not the battery, here is what you need to do:

Turn on the system with the controller plugged in, hold down the PS button on the controller, turn off the controller, disconnect it from the usb cable, turn on the controller using the PS button and it should work just fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.