Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chuckd62687

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2007
I am having a hard time with iTunes recognizing my iPhone. It is not the phone or cable as I took it up to the genius bar and it worked fine up there. I have tried numerous usb ports and I have the same issue with all of them. I assume it is iTunes but am unsure what to do to troubleshoot it. It works about 10% of the time.

I am running a 17" PPC 800 MhZ iMac with all my iTunes data on an external Lacie 320GB disk which is getting close to full.

macsamillion

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
Pasadena, California
iPhone won't Mount

Having the same issue. 1 GHz G4, with USB 2.0 PCI card. iTunes or G4, can't see or won't see the iPhone. Restart is always required. Tried various scripts to force volumes to mount, no luck any thoughts?

o JRoD o

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
Wisconsin
I also can't get my G4 to recognize my iPhone in iTunes. I'm using the latest version of 7.4.1 (2). Previously if I "woke" up the phone, it would be seen in iTunes. Now nothing happens. I have tried to uninstall, and reinstall with no luck. My USB ports work fine with other devices.

Any help would be appreciated.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
same problem here! Mine is only recognized by my iMac G5 if I restart my computer, and then it only works that first time.

It's good to hear that there are others with similar-sounding problems, maybe a software fix is on its way...

ColonelSawtooth

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
I too am experiencing the same problem with a Belkin USB 2.0 card in a G4 1.0 GHz DP running 10.4.10. The only workaround I have been able to find is to connect the iPhone, put the computer to sleep, then wake the computer. When it wakes up, it then sees the phone.

Not a great solution, but better than a restart. . .

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
I too am experiencing the same problem with a Belkin USB 2.0 card in a G4 1.0 GHz DP running 10.4.10. The only workaround I have been able to find is to connect the iPhone, put the computer to sleep, then wake the computer. When it wakes up, it then sees the phone.

Not a great solution, but better than a restart. . .

i tried the sleep-wake technique, doesn't work. hmm....

any other ideas? maybe it's because we put ringtones on our phones through that weird technique, could that be it? cuz it is a recent issue...

o JRoD o

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
Wisconsin
I was able to get iTunes to see my iPhone. Here are the steps I followed.

1. Power off the iPhone.
2. Close iTunes.
3. Plug iPhone in via USB.
4. Apple logo will appear for about 10 seconds, and then Power on.
5. Reopen iTunes.

Your iPhone should show up. If it doesn't the first time, try again! :)

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
Thanks all,
I tried everything and nothing was working for me. Weird thing was iPhoto saw my phone but iTunes.

I uninstalled iTunes then re and it worked fine. Was a pain but it was my last option.

danahyland

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
still not working

i've tried all of these and still nothing. i figured it would sure work when i reinstalled itunes, but it didn't.:confused: any other advice?

relius

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
Same here. I closed iTunes. Moved it into the trash from Apps folder. Emptied Trash. Restarted Macbook. Downloaded public version of iTunes from Apple site and installed. Reconnected iPhone to USB and was good to go.

Harpua585

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
This Works!

I'm running a Macbook Pro 10.5.8 w/ iTunes 9.0.1 and an iPhone 3Gs 3.0. I just got off the phone with Apple support. For those who have tried restarting iTunes, iPhone, computer, and re-installed iTunes with no luck. Issue may be caused because podcasts were downloaded to the iPhone directly and not with the desktop version of iTunes. Once I deleted the podcasts from my phone I was able to sync instantly upon plugging in the USB with no hang time at all. Try deleting your podcasts or any media downloaded to the phone directly.

YELLOWCAKE

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
I'm running a Macbook Pro 10.5.8 w/ iTunes 9.0.1 and an iPhone 3Gs 3.0. I just got off the phone with Apple support. For those who have tried restarting iTunes, iPhone, computer, and re-installed iTunes with no luck. Issue may be caused because podcasts were downloaded to the iPhone directly and not with the desktop version of iTunes. Once I deleted the podcasts from my phone I was able to sync instantly upon plugging in the USB with no hang time at all. Try deleting your podcasts or any media downloaded to the phone directly.

I thought for sure I was screwed! I deleted all my podcast and now it works.. What a crappy bug!!..

Thanks Harpua585

BNZ1

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
London

Thank you!. Grrr, guess this hasn't been fixed yet as I have itunes 9.0.1.8 (win7) and iphone 3G 3.1.2

businessgo

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
Whenever I have that problem, shutting down the iphone, iTunes and then restarting normally do the trick. But I'm sure you've tried this already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.