Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
I am building my first website with my photo's I am slowly getting them up and I was wondering what you thought.

Check it out Here

All photo's are done using my Nikon 885 and I have some more photo's to put up. No page 3 yet.

If you like them and would like to help me out money wise a little for a new camera. I am looking at a Nikon D70 because I would like to be a photographer when I grow up. Gunna get a job this summer to pay for it. I am 14 ;)

Enjoy the photo's and please tell me if you think there is anything I could do better/work on.

Peace!

yahooz

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2004
tliptak said:
Enjoy the photo's and please tell me if you think there is anything I could do better/work on.

Peace!

I had a look at your gallery and the work is not half bad given your age and experience level. A lot of your shots seem to be centered, which lends itself to less 'dynamic' compositions. Try positioning your subjects along a 'third' [search google for rule of thirds] and you should find that you get more 'interesting' photos.

Another thing is that the majority of your shots are out of focus, not soft, but they seem genuinely out of focus. Pay attention to how close your lens is to your subject, and make sure you have enough distance between the two to focus properly. If you are not using your camera's macro mode, you should be, as that will allow a smaller distance between your lens and your subject.
For the shots that are not out of focus, but just soft, try a bit of USM in photoshop. Search google for the best ways to sharpen photos.

You also might try punching up the color in the photos a bit, by using curves and in particular an 's-curve'. Many of your photos just look like they could use a bit of hue/saturation adjustment, and curves...

That being said, just keep on shooting, take pictures everyday, and keep on posting them here!

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
They're re not all perfect, but you have some real nice shots there! Many would make really nice desktop backgrounds. You may want to submit them to to some Mac desktop sites.

I can't shot anything right, so I admire those who try with such good results! Keep it up.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
I also noticed that some were out of focus. I really like the dew drops on the purple flower. That is a great shot. I don't now if you've been involved in any of the photography threads in the past, but if you haven't I highly suggest you do participate in them. They've helped me alot when I've had a question. I, also, am a teenage photographer. I picked a powerbook over a D70 and a lense or two. I still have my trusty old Powershot S45. You have to remember that it's not the equipment that makes the photograph. It's the photographer.

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
Thanks for all your comments. I totaly agree that its the photographer but it also helps to have a camera that can focus right. As someone said some of my photo's are out of focus. Yes I am using my camera's macro mode for all the close up's but it seems to have some problems sometimes judging stuff right. I will try using the 3rd's rule more. Again thanks for your comments.

About the camera I would like a camera that can take sports shots. As the camera I have now has like a 5 second delay + As I am going into highschool(I am homeschooling) I am gunna start taking courses and really try to do more with photography. Getting a camera where I can really do what I want would a nice step in my photography "career" ;)

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
tliptak said:
...it also helps to have a camera that can focus right. As someone said some of my photo's are out of focus....

Autofocus can be tricky, in the picture of the flower it may have been too dark which can render autofocus useless. (the D70 has an AF assist lamp to combat this.) Also, autofocus has to have something to focus on (I know sounds stupid) but somethings can mess with it like fire, smoke, shiny objects or hair - usually finely detailed objects. If autofocus doesn't work properly, try moving the cross-hairs around in the view finder slightly until it focuses properly. Or autofocus on something the same distance away, keep the shutter button half-way pressed to engage autofocus, then move the camera, recompose the frame and take the picture.

See if that helps, and remember it's digital, so take as many pictures as you want...

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
nice photos. im saving up for a new camera also, and was going to do something like this, but my parents won't let me get a pay-pal account.
oh well, back to the drawing board.

tliptak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2002
5300cs said:

Ya I have been doing that but still sometimes it goes out of focus and on a small screen when viewing it you can't tell :( Also zooming in and then zooming back out sometimes helps.

bennetsaysargh: Also the paypal thing doesn't seem to help much. A ton of view and no donations. Ah well

Wowser: Sure go for it. Enjoy.

Also I submitted a photo to InterfaceLift and the are using it in there wallpaper site which I think is pretty cool. Check it out here

Thanks to everyone who has posted your help and kind words is much appreciated.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
tliptak said:
Thanks for all your comments. I totaly agree that its the photographer but it also helps to have a camera that can focus right. As someone said some of my photo's are out of focus. Yes I am using my camera's macro mode for all the close up's but it seems to have some problems sometimes judging stuff right. I will try using the 3rd's rule more. Again thanks for your comments.

About the camera I would like a camera that can take sports shots. As the camera I have now has like a 5 second delay + As I am going into highschool(I am homeschooling) I am gunna start taking courses and really try to do more with photography. Getting a camera where I can really do what I want would a nice step in my photography "career" ;)

Rules of composition are not as hard and fast as they were when I was your age. There is more flexibility, as long as an image is interesting.

You may want to see if your community college allows for students your age to attend classes. The feedback of other students can be of great help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.