Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I only wish when I did tech support for a living at Sony that the customers would have abided by the suggestions in this thread.

Heck, even having them know what brand and model of computer they had (and knowing the difference between their monitor and the computer, or their cable modem/DSL modem and their computer, geez, even their keyboard and their computer) would have been a blessing.

Then again, considering the source, undoubtedly it would have been expecting too much.

The advantage of any form of online support is it does physically impose some degree of knowledge-level restrictions on the masses, which is entirely a good thing. Now if only there was a mechanism for verifying I.Q. and E.E.G. readings before allowing access... oh well...

Totally off-topic (gasp!), how about a good recipe for either Vulcan Plo'meek soup or really good Matza Ball soup? I've had such a taste for one or the other for the longest time.

Oh, yeah, and BTW: Awesome rules-of-thumb, madjew and those others who contributed!

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
The troubleshooting guide for installing Mac applications helped me out. I had been trying to install a dialup Internet package on my MacBook, but Stuffit was suspiciously missing.

Tell me if that's strange or not that Stuffit wasn't on this Core 2 Duo MacBook -- seems fishy to me. I don't recall deleting anything.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
They stopped including Stuffit awhile back because most people now use standard zipping formats that are handled by the BOMArchiveHelper that's integrated into OS X. But yes, there are still some apps out there that you need Stuffit in order to open, so it probably should still be included.

Reactions: satcomer

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
They stopped including Stuffit awhile back because most people now use standard zipping formats that are handled by the BOMArchiveHelper that's integrated into OS X. But yes, there are still some apps out there that you need Stuffit in order to open, so it probably should still be included.

The thing was, I was out at my grandma's, in a very rural area, with my only option being dialup, and damn was I hacked off about not being able to get online at all due to this nonsense with applications. I kept getting messages that there was no application available to open this or that. even the BOMArchiveHelper thing didn't work either.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2007
I realize this is designed for those starting a thread, but I have some suggestions that also fit for those responding to posts.
  • If responding, do attempt stay on track with the threads original purpose.
  • Don't reply to everything by quoting. Feel free to cut down quotes to the specific part that you are refering too.
  • Post your system, OS, and version of software. Be specific.
  • If you can add links, please do.
  • If your going to take a screen shot, cut it down if you can.
  • If you have several related questions, post them in one thread, rather than many threads.
  • Use planing language instead of abbreviations or code names, unless your sure that everybody knows the convention.
  • Remember that threads are generaly not ment to be private conversations.
  • Never stick beans up your nose.

As a reader and subscriber of seven forums now, I can second and emphasize all of the above, particularly the tip about not using abbreviations because people new to the site might not know what they mean (I've been posting for a several years on various sites, and only worked out yesterday or the day before what 'bump' meant).
GVDV
P.S. By the way, this site seems to contain some of the most polite interractions that I have seen, and I really appreciate this.

SDQ8

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
Kuwait (Formerly UK)
Still requiring help

Hi everyone,

I joined your forum today (19 March 2008) and have read the 11 points and have done intensive searches through previous posts and I'm still unable to gain any insight to my problem so, any assistance would be highly appreciated.

In short, after almost 30 years as a windows user I finally made the switch and bought an AppleiMac, 2.8Ghz, 24 inch model with Leopard OS last weekend and being a Britisg Guy holding a PhD I don't consider myself a dummy but can't for the life of me figure out how to configure my USB modem on the Mac!

To clarify a little;
Where I live in Kuwait is a brand new area and has no communications infrastructure in place, hence no availability of dial up or ADSL facilities and we have to rely totally on USB Modems with internal GPRS Simcards for connecting to the Internet.

The manufacturer of the unit (Zain, Website URL is http://www.zain.com.kw) which was previously owned by MTC-Vodaphone are nothing short of useless in trying to solve this problem and further, due to paranoia in this part of the world cannot (READ WILL NOT) provide any technical specifications of this unit whatsoever!

I paid a small fortune for this modem so I am very, very reluctant to seek an alternative however, if there is no choice in the matter then so be it but, in the interim, any advice whatsoever would be most gratefully received.

Thanks to all in anticipation.

Steve
(SDQ8)

To maximise the helpfulness and efficiency of using these forums for troubleshooting your Mac, there are a few basic guidelines and tasks that you may wish to undertake before creating a new thread as well as information you should include in the thread, if it comes to that.

First off, use the forum's search function to find if there is already a relevant thread that may answer your own question or alternatively, provide you with some techniques to try. As always, be intelligent with your search terms and parameters. Including words like Apple and Mac is pointless because there will be such a large abundance of results. As frankblundt kindly pointed out, search our Guides too.

Secondly (courtesy of frankblundt), make sure you post your question in the appropriate forum to better your chances of having a resident expert see your thread.

Thirdly (courtesy of vikas soni), be specific with the thread title. A title like Help will not be as easily recognised by our resident gurus.

Fourthly, find out basic information about your machine. Tell us what sort of Mac it is, what operating system it is running and some basic hardware specifications. All these can be found in System Profiler, an app in the Utilities folder.

Fifthly, tell us what the problem is. Remember, be specific! The more detail, the better.

Sixthly, outline how long you have been having these issues and what changes you made before the issues arose. Include details, even if you think they may not necessarily relevant.

Seventhly, tell us what you have already tried in terms of your own solutions to this problem.

Eighthly (nearly there), once some responses to your thread start accumulating and you start trying some of the different techniques being provided, remember to answer each post with what the outcome was on your machine. If a technique worked, post a response saying so, such that future readers of your thread know this.

Ninthly, remember that this is a forum. There is no mechanism in place to ensure you are getting valid or safe help so use some of your own initiative as to whether you want to try a radical technique. If you are uncomfortable with a solution, say so and hopefully another member will be able to provide a simpler explanation or an alternative for you. Generally speaking, bad advice is rare on these forums, but be wary all the same.

Tenthly (courtesy of Blue Velvet), be patient. Don't bump your post within twenty minutes just because no-one has offered up a response — those online may not know the answer — and don't post duplicate threads in order to draw attention to your predicament. It splits the discussion and if duplicate threads are spotted, they tend to get deleted by the mods.

Eleventhly (?) (courtesy of Blue Velvet), be courteous. A small thanks can go a long way and recognition of the effort that people are putting in to answer your questions and solve your problems will make your MR experience that much more enjoyable.

For those of us who are concentration span-challenged:

1. Search for threads or guides containing similar problems.
  2. Start your thread in the appropriate forum or sub-forum.
  3. Use a specific thread title.
  4. Find and post machine hardware and software configurations.
  5. Tell us your problem, and be specific. What is happening to your machine?
  6. How long has this been happening? What changes were made just before this started?
  7. What have you already tried?
  8. Respond to all posted advice with details of what happened.
  9. Be wary of the (very) occasional bad advice.
  10. Be patient.
  11. Be courteous.

Okay, now everyone can chip in and tell me all the details I've forgotten. :p

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Hi Steve,

Welcome to MR. You might want to read number two again as this is not really the best place to get help on this issue.

"Secondly (courtesy of frankblundt), make sure you post your question in the appropriate forum to better your chances of having a resident expert see your thread."

By the way, where are you in Q8? I was there for 9 years through the 90s (and several wars). I know that it has changed enormously now - I used to live in Salmiya, Sabah Al Salem (opposite Messila Beach), and also Fahad Sultan (near Fahaheel).

Good to see that t'interweb service is as crap as ever there unless you pay loads of money - I was also on dialup modem, (I was also on a different OS to PC and Mac) but got help from a friend to get the connection set up. I am sure that someone here will be able to help out if you post in the right area - there are some very technical and helpful vistors here.

SDQ8

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
Kuwait (Formerly UK)
Kuwait

Hi Riscy and thanks for your response;

In short, I'm obviously very new to Forums and still trying to get the general hang of things so thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

I've now got the modem "issue" sorted thanks to a great Philipino Mac engineer who has the patience of a saint.

I live in Salwa, Block 12 and previously lived in Salmiya for 3 years, been in Kuwait almost 6 years and the Middle East for 22 years, ever since leaving the British Army.
Kuwait has changed a great deal in my time, some area's have changed beyond all recognition so, I guess if you ever ventured back here you would hardly recognise anywhere, they are constantly dropping buildings, rebuilding and expanding like crazy, sometimes I think that they are trying to compete with Dubai, just a shame they never have the forethought to put effective infrastructure in place prior to building new blocks!!!

Again, many thanks for the advice.

BR
Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to MR. You might want to read number two again as this is not really the best place to get help on this issue.

"Secondly (courtesy of frankblundt), make sure you post your question in the appropriate forum to better your chances of having a resident expert see your thread."

By the way, where are you in Q8? I was there for 9 years through the 90s (and several wars). I know that it has changed enormously now - I used to live in Salmiya, Sabah Al Salem (opposite Messila Beach), and also Fahad Sultan (near Fahaheel).

Good to see that t'interweb service is as crap as ever there unless you pay loads of money - I was also on dialup modem, (I was also on a different OS to PC and Mac) but got help from a friend to get the connection set up. I am sure that someone here will be able to help out if you post in the right area - there are some very technical and helpful vistors here.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
You're welcome Steve,

Enjoy posting on the forum and just ask if you need any help or advice, people here are really helpful and knowledgeable.

I have had friends return to Q8 since I left and they were amazed at the changes - I still have fond memories of strolling around Fahaheel - always a bit dodgy.
Hi Riscy and thanks for your response;

In short, I'm obviously very new to Forums and still trying to get the general hang of things so thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

I've now got the modem "issue" sorted thanks to a great Philipino Mac engineer who has the patience of a saint.

I live in Salwa, Block 12 and previously lived in Salmiya for 3 years, been in Kuwait almost 6 years and the Middle East for 22 years, ever since leaving the British Army.
Kuwait has changed a great deal in my time, some area's have changed beyond all recognition so, I guess if you ever ventured back here you would hardly recognise anywhere, they are constantly dropping buildings, rebuilding and expanding like crazy, sometimes I think that they are trying to compete with Dubai, just a shame they never have the forethought to put effective infrastructure in place prior to building new blocks!!!

Again, many thanks for the advice.

BR
Steve

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
when you are new to this site and not yet addicted to it, you do not really read these comments, or any other comment other than your burning question. Once you start to get curious and addicted, you start reading randomly and get really embarrassed for already having done some of the "dont dos" :) hah ah..

I havent exactly been on this site a long time, but its already the first thing i check when i load up my lappie :) yep even before facebook, bbc. Scary stuff!! i just like reading alot of the advice and tips/hints on stuff.

Derrick Velasco

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2008
Eight: Be patient. Don't bump your post within twenty minutes just because no-one has offered up a response — those online may not know the answer — and don't post duplicate threads in order to draw attention to your predicament. It splits the discussion and if duplicate threads are spotted, they tend to get deleted by the mods.

Nine: Be courteous. A small thanks can go a long way and recognition of the effort that people are putting in to answer your questions and solve your problems will make your MR experience that much more enjoyable.

Beautiful. I now understand because of what you said, thank you much!

lisazh

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
I'm newbie , I have a lot of problems . I like search good advice and suggestion . Thanks !

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
Putting screen shots on MR

I looked on how to add screenshots and attachments to my replies or post's, but my MacBook has my name and when i upload a photo on MacRumors, my name is in that blue box also (I don't know if it will go through forum like that i doubt), I changed computer name(not root user), and would like to know how to "know what part" will show up on forum. I do know how to put links down, as in "Click Here" shows up. I couldn't find guide on what comes up in pics.
BTW..When i try to delete my name out of insert, it says error in URL.

Thank You very much: SIMSALADIMBAMBA for your quick & what i was looking for reply.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
I looked on how to add screenshots and attachments to my replies or post's, but my MacBook has my name and when i upload a photo on MacRumors, my name is in that blue box also (I don't know if it will go through forum like that i doubt), I changed computer name(not root user), and would like to know how to "know what part" will show up on forum. I do know how to put links down, as in "Click Here" shows up. I couldn't find guide on what comes up in pics.
BTW..When i try to delete my name out of insert, it says error in URL.

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
th_apple_logo_dinero.jpg
Testing this: Simsaladimbamba

Jmacke

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2016
Scottish Borders
To maximise the helpfulness and efficiency of using these forums for troubleshooting your Mac, there are a few basic guidelines and tasks that you may wish to undertake before creating a new thread as well as information you should include in the thread, if it comes to that.

First off, use the forum's search function to find if there is already a relevant thread that may answer your own question or alternatively, provide you with some techniques to try. As always, be intelligent with your search terms and parameters. Including words like Apple and Mac is pointless because there will be such a large abundance of results. As frankblundt kindly pointed out, search our Guides too.

Secondly (courtesy of frankblundt), make sure you post your question in the appropriate forum to better your chances of having a resident expert see your thread.

Thirdly (courtesy of vikas soni), be specific with the thread title. A title like Help will not be as easily recognised by our resident gurus.

Fourthly, find out basic information about your machine. Tell us what sort of Mac it is, what operating system it is running and some basic hardware specifications. All these can be found in System Profiler, an app in the Utilities folder.

Fifthly, tell us what the problem is. Remember, be specific! The more detail, the better.

Sixthly, outline how long you have been having these issues and what changes you made before the issues arose. Include details, even if you think they may not necessarily relevant.

Seventhly, tell us what you have already tried in terms of your own solutions to this problem.

Eighthly (nearly there), once some responses to your thread start accumulating and you start trying some of the different techniques being provided, remember to answer each post with what the outcome was on your machine. If a technique worked, post a response saying so, such that future readers of your thread know this.

Ninthly, remember that this is a forum. There is no mechanism in place to ensure you are getting valid or safe help so use some of your own initiative as to whether you want to try a radical technique. If you are uncomfortable with a solution, say so and hopefully another member will be able to provide a simpler explanation or an alternative for you. Generally speaking, bad advice is rare on these forums, but be wary all the same.

Tenthly (courtesy of Blue Velvet), be patient. Don't bump your post within twenty minutes just because no-one has offered up a response — those online may not know the answer — and don't post duplicate threads in order to draw attention to your predicament. It splits the discussion and if duplicate threads are spotted, they tend to get deleted by the mods.

Eleventhly (?) (courtesy of Blue Velvet), be courteous. A small thanks can go a long way and recognition of the effort that people are putting in to answer your questions and solve your problems will make your MR experience that much more enjoyable.

6. How long has this been happening? What changes were made just before this started?
  10. Be patient.
  11. Be courteous.

10. Be patient.
  11. Be courteous.

This is a very good thread, and I wish I had read it earlier, before posting the same question on two different parts of the forum. I do apologise. I always use search functions on forums like this, as I realise it saves people a lot of wasted time replying to previously answered questions. This time, using search function on this site, as well as other internet forums, I was unable to find an answer to my problem. i will be more careful next time I post, to choose the most relevant forum. Good work Mad jew and others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.