Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Hi,
I want to replace my 40gb Apple TV hard drive on something much bigger. What type of hard drive it should be? And what size is biggest available at this moment?
I got aTVFlash installed but I am not impressed; its keep crushing.

Thanks

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi,
I want to replace my 40gb Apple TV hard drive on something much bigger. What type of hard drive it should be? And what size is biggest available at this moment?

Thanks

The biggest internal drive is 160 gb. If you want to sync media to the ATV you need an external drive as primary. I use aTV Flash with a 500 gb usb drive, works fine with no crashing.

You could always update the internal drive like this guy did. READ THIS

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
If you're talking about upgrading it yourself after buying it, I think you can find a 640GB hard drive without too much trouble. Like this one. I'm pretty sure it just has to be 2.5 in drive that's not taller than 9.5mm. As for the process on getting the original info from the old drive to the new one, there are tutorials around here somewhere.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Hi,

Thanks

The Apple TV uses a 2.5" drive with the older PATA (IDE) interface, not the SATA interface found on modern drives. The largest 2.5" PATA drive I know of is a 320GB from Western Digital ( Link )

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Thanks all for the info. Its look like I have to stuck with external drive and aTVFlash. 320gb is not enough for me to create the library the way like I want.
Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.