Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peperoni

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Well, how do you do mouse-over on a picture? Like in xkcd comics there's a message when you place your mouse over the picture. I haven't been able to view that message/label/etc.

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
I know what you are referring to, and I don't think Safari supports it. Have you tried clicking and holding your finger down on the link/picture? I don't think it will work (can't test right now) but its worth a shot

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
All hover menus that are coded correctly in HTML drop down with the initial touch and then you choose from the drop down menu after that.

I'm not a huge websurfer on my iPhone, but I don't recall a single site I've visited where the dropdown menu shows after a single click. It just loads what I've clicked on. So you're telling me that every site I've visited has incorrectly coded their HTML?

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
Yep, see what you mean now. Perhaps something apple didn't think about when developing safari for the iPhone?

Yeah, and it's not really that big of a deal. I don't want to sound bitchy about it. It would just be cool if it did it. I guess another thing to chalk up to the "wishlist."

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Well, how do you do mouse-over on a picture? Like in xkcd comics there's a message when you place your mouse over the picture. I haven't been able to view that message/label/etc.

For xkcd, I use Strips Web Comic Reader. The full version was recently pulled from the App Store, but the free version still gets xkcd.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
For example, go to http://www.bestbuy.com and "hover" over 'TV & VIDEO' and tell me what happens when you click on it. It doesn't drop down the menu. It just goes to the TV & VIDEO link instead. This is just one example. Many more out there.

That's intentional. The point I was making was that it's still possible to navigate sites with drop down menus on the iPhone, with this site you just have to click on a link on the next page to navigate to your destination.

In the case of the Best Buy site, it IS possible to click on the menu, press the 'X' in the Safari address bar to stop the page from loading, and using the menu that appears. That also works with a few other sites I've tested, too. Not the most elegant solution, but I can't really think of a better way to achieve the desired results.

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
That's intentional. The point I was making was that it's still possible to navigate sites with drop down menus on the iPhone, with this site you just have to click on a link on the next page to navigate to your destination.

In the case of the Best Buy site, it IS possible to click on the menu, press the 'X' in the Safari address bar to stop the page from loading, and using the menu that appears. That also works with a few other sites I've tested, too. Not the most elegant solution, but I can't really think of a better way to achieve the desired results.

I'm not sure what was intentional, but I do appreciate the info. Like you said, not exactly elegant, but effective. I think this is one of those things I'll drop in the suggestion box at Apple. Maybe they'll get the hover menus to work better in the future.

pellur

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
There's an app...

Sorry for bumping a really old thread, but I found this while I was searching and thought this might help someone. I have a few sites that don't work on my phone because of these lousy drop downs. Been looking for a solution forever. Found an app today: HoverPage. Works great :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.