Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elbartow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Hello,

I'm a huge fan of The Elder Scrolls series. I'm getting the new iMac 21,5" w/ 4670 next week and am kinda worried wether these two games are playable via Bootcamp, especially Morrowind.

Maybe the iMac is "too good" for Morrowind? I mean, maybe the graphics card or the processor won't support such an old game (2002).

Sorry for my bad computer knowledge :eek:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Given that you can buy Morrowmind on Steam, yea it probably will work on your computer. Windows isn't like OSX, you can still run legacy games perfectly. Sometimes you might need to run very old games under DOSbox (dos emulator) but I've never had to and I still play Doom :).

Elbartow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Another question about the resolution: I played Morrowind on my dad's PC (w/ tube screen). The highest (native) resolution selectable was 1600 x 1200, full screen. Will I be able to run it full screen on the iMac as well, without any stretching? The iMac's rez is 1920 x 1080, so this might be an issue? Or will it kind of "auto-adjust"?

Thx for the replies.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Another question about the resolution: I played Morrowind on my dad's PC (w/ tube screen). The highest (native) resolution selectable was 1600 x 1200, full screen. Will I be able to run it full screen on the iMac as well, without any stretching? The iMac's rez is 1920 x 1080, so this might be an issue? Or will it kind of "auto-adjust"?

Thx for the replies.

A quick search in google for 'morrowind widescreen' should provide you with some answers.

But yes morrowind will run fine. There are even some hacks available that let you push out the draw distance so you can see more without all that fog in your face.

bailmdb

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Over there
What about mods?

I'm sorry, but I had to jump on this thread, as I just bought my first Mac. I should get my new 15" Macbook Pro on Wed and I'm a huge Morrowind fan. I'm thrilled to see that it will run on the Mac, but what about the mods? I have a plethora (yes, I did pull out that 3 Amigos file) of mods and I can't see playing the game without them. Any insight would be helpful.

Also, while I'm at it, on my PC I use a program called "Alcohol 120%" to create an image of the full Morrowind disc and just house it on my HDD. Then I never have to worry about the disc. Is there a good program for the Mac that would allow me to do the same? TIA.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
I'm sorry, but I had to jump on this thread, as I just bought my first Mac. I should get my new 15" Macbook Pro on Wed and I'm a huge Morrowind fan. I'm thrilled to see that it will run on the Mac, but what about the mods? I have a plethora (yes, I did pull out that 3 Amigos file) of mods and I can't see playing the game without them. Any insight would be helpful.

Also, while I'm at it, on my PC I use a program called "Alcohol 120%" to create an image of the full Morrowind disc and just house it on my HDD. Then I never have to worry about the disc. Is there a good program for the Mac that would allow me to do the same? TIA.

Well you have to remember, in order to play Morrowind, or any PC game, you need to install bootcamp and then install windows. So once you have windows installed, then you can just run morrowind and any mods you want as you usually do. You cannot run Morrowind under OSX natively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.