Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I am getting duplicate emails in Entourage. A few times a week, I get old emails (sometimes from a month ago) in my InBox. What do I need to do to stop this?

sixfingeredman

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
I am getting duplicate emails in Entourage. A few times a week, I get old emails (sometimes from a month ago) in my InBox. What do I need to do to stop this?

Amen brother! Me too. I just bought Office 2008 for Mac, and it is not so smooth.

I also have Duplicate emails that randomly download from my gmail account, that are quite old (one's that I deleted in Entourage already). I will open Entourage and it says, "Downloading 249 messages." I delete the duplicates, and two weeks later it does it again. If I don't delete them, they pile up.

SOMEONE HELP US PLEASE!

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Amen brother! Me too. I just bought Office 2008 for Mac, and it is not so smooth.

I also have Duplicate emails that randomly download from my gmail account, that are quite old (one's that I deleted in Entourage already). I will open Entourage and it says, "Downloading 249 messages." I delete the duplicates, and two weeks later it does it again. If I don't delete them, they pile up.

What kind of email account do you have? What are your account settings? Without that information, it's hard to know what's happening here.

My first guess is that you have Entourage set to leave all of your emails on your server, even if you delete them in Entourage. In Entourage, go to the Tools menu, then select Accounts, then click on the Mail tab. Double-click your account name. Under Server Options, make sure that the "Leave a copy of each message on the server" box isn't checked.

Regards,
Nadyne.

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
What kind of email account do you have? What are your account settings? Without that information, it's hard to know what's happening here.

My first guess is that you have Entourage set to leave all of your emails on your server, even if you delete them in Entourage. In Entourage, go to the Tools menu, then select Accounts, then click on the Mail tab. Double-click your account name. Under Server Options, make sure that the "Leave a copy of each message on the server" box isn't checked.

Regards,
Nadyne.

If you have Entourage set to leave a copy on the server for a mobile phone to get the e-mail or to just have the e-mail backed up on the server as well, I would suggest archiving the e-mail if you are using gmail or moving the e-mail to a different folder in you're not using gmail. Entourage is only getting e-mail that was in the inbox since the last time it looked for e-mail. If you archive those messages or move them out of the inbox, entourage will only get those messages once. It will not retrieve them again. Outlook does the same thing.

sixfingeredman

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008

Regards,
Nadyne.

I have a Gmail account, Entourage is set to leave messages on the server. I use a mobile phone to check email as well as an additional Mac to download the messages. Since I have 2 macs checking (one with Mac mail, other MBP with MS Entourage), could this be an issue?

I need both systems (MB and MBP) to be able to download from the server and leave them in gmail as well for my cell.

Is this an annoying limitation of Entourage?

Charis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008

Regards,
Nadyne.

You're right Nadyne. Thank you for taking the time to answer my query. Shortly after I posted my question, I went into my Accounts Setting and noticed that I had the "Leave a copy of each msg on the server" box checked. I unchecked it and waited...the problem has not repeated itself since. :)

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
I have a Gmail account, Entourage is set to leave messages on the server. I use a mobile phone to check email as well as an additional Mac to download the messages. Since I have 2 macs checking (one with Mac mail, other MBP with MS Entourage), could this be an issue?

It depends on how you have everything set up. If you also have Mail.app leaving the messages on the server, then since they're always there, Entourage will grab whatever messages it doesn't have (even if you've already downloaded them once before and then deleted them from Entourage).

You could set Entourage to leave everything on the server, but delete messages from the server when you delete them from Entourage. (This is also good if you're using your iPhone with your mail account.) But that means that deleting in Entourage is really deleting them, so you'll have to decide if that's the right thing for you to do.

Regards,
Nadyne.

Chrissie28

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
I don't have the "Leave a copy of the message on the server"

Hi there,

I've read the above solutions and I tried to fix it. But I don't have the thickbox with "Leave a copy of the message on the server". I'm using IMAP account and sometimes I receive not 1 duplicate but 5 duplicates of my e-mail. Can someone please help me?? :confused:

It's entourage 2004 and the Server options are:
  • Send commands to server simultaneously
  • Alwasys download complete messages bodies
    In inbox
  • Partially receive msg over ... kb
  • Root folder
  • Live Sync (stay connected with server)
    Only connect to inbox
    Connect immediately on launch
    Disconnet from server after ... minutes
  • Check for unread msg in subscribed folders

Victor Star

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
I had a lot of problems with Entourage 2008 until I updated it. Just wondering if you all with 2008 have checked for updates?

Chrissie28

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
Well, I just checked for updates, but it's said that there is no update for now. And it's Entourage 2004....

I hope someone can help me? :(

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
The next step in troubleshooting Entourage is to set up a new identity, and recreate your account in there to see if it has the same issues. From the Entourage menu, select "Switch Identities", confirm that you really want to do that, and then select the "New" button.

Regards,
Nadyne.

Christine2646

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
California
How is it supposed to work - Entourage & Gmail?

Nadyne, I've read so much about Entourage and Gmail that I realize I don't know how it is supposed to work.
1. Unless I set Entourage to delete from server after I delete in Entourage, Gmail keeps downloading everything in the inbox - regardless if it downloaded it before. Is this the way it is supposed to work?
2. Do you know of a way to stop this or is this just an issue peculiar to Gmail?
3. If I want to use Gmail as a backup, do I have to keep going back to Gmail to move mail out of the inbox before I click receive in Entourage to stop it from downloading again?
4. Would it be simpler to just forget gmail and use Entourage to store prior emails I want to keep?

Thank you.
Christien

Christine2646

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
California
Sync with Entourage

Nadyne, I forgot one thing. Is Entourage supposed to sync with Gmail? Is the problem of incessant inbox downloads from Gmail a POP issue?

Thank you.
Christine

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Nadyne, I've read so much about Entourage and Gmail that I realize I don't know how it is supposed to work.
1. Unless I set Entourage to delete from server after I delete in Entourage, Gmail keeps downloading everything in the inbox - regardless if it downloaded it before. Is this the way it is supposed to work?
2. Do you know of a way to stop this or is this just an issue peculiar to Gmail?
3. If I want to use Gmail as a backup, do I have to keep going back to Gmail to move mail out of the inbox before I click receive in Entourage to stop it from downloading again?
4. Would it be simpler to just forget gmail and use Entourage to store prior emails I want to keep?

It sounds like you've got Gmail set up in Entourage as a POP account. So I'll answer your questions first with that assumption.

It depends on how you're using Entourage. First, take a look at your settings for your account by going to the Entourage menu, select Account Settings, then select your Gmail account. Click on the Options tab, and look under "Server options". If you only want Entourage to store your mails, then uncheck the box "leave a copy of messages on server". If you want both Entourage and Gmail to store your mails, then check that box. Optionally, if you do have this box checked, you might want to check the box for "delete messages from the server after they are deleted from this computer" -- that way, if you delete a message in Entourage, it will also delete from Gmail, so you don't have to go into Gmail to delete the stuff you don't want to keep.

If you have the "leave on server" box checked, and you delete stuff in Entourage, Entourage is going to see that it doesn't have a message and re-download it. That's just how POP works: it doesn't know whether any of the mail clients have read the mail, so if it's on the server and the client doesn't have it, the client downloads it again. This sounds like what you're seeing now, so play around with your preferences until you get it set up the way you want it.

Whether you store things on Gmail or on Entourage is completely up to you. Personally, I store everything in Entourage so that I've got a local copy of it. Other people prefer to have it on someone else's server. You'll have to choose for yourself which one works for you.

Another solution to this problem is to set up Gmail and Entourage to use IMAP instead of POP. There are plenty of reasons why you might want to choose IMAP. For a detailed explanation of why you might want to use IMAP, and complete instructions for getting Gmail and Entourage to talk IMAP to each other, check out this post from the Entourage MVPs. It was written about Entourage 2004, but the setup steps are the same for Entourage 2008. They've got lots of details for advanced settings for IMAP, so I highly recommend going through all of their steps.

Regards,
Nadyne.

Christine2646

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
California
It sounds like you've got Gmail set up in Entourage as a POP account. So I'll answer your questions first with that assumption.

It depends on how you're using Entourage. First, take a look at your settings for your account by going to the Entourage menu, select Account Settings, then select your Gmail account. Click on the Options tab, and look under "Server options". If you only want Entourage to store your mails, then uncheck the box "leave a copy of messages on server". If you want both Entourage and Gmail to store your mails, then check that box. Optionally, if you do have this box checked, you might want to check the box for "delete messages from the server after they are deleted from this computer" -- that way, if you delete a message in Entourage, it will also delete from Gmail, so you don't have to go into Gmail to delete the stuff you don't want to keep.

If you have the "leave on server" box checked, and you delete stuff in Entourage, Entourage is going to see that it doesn't have a message and re-download it. That's just how POP works: it doesn't know whether any of the mail clients have read the mail, so if it's on the server and the client doesn't have it, the client downloads it again. This sounds like what you're seeing now, so play around with your preferences until you get it set up the way you want it.

Whether you store things on Gmail or on Entourage is completely up to you. Personally, I store everything in Entourage so that I've got a local copy of it. Other people prefer to have it on someone else's server. You'll have to choose for yourself which one works for you.

Another solution to this problem is to set up Gmail and Entourage to use IMAP instead of POP. There are plenty of reasons why you might want to choose IMAP. For a detailed explanation of why you might want to use IMAP, and complete instructions for getting Gmail and Entourage to talk IMAP to each other, check out this post from the Entourage MVPs. It was written about Entourage 2004, but the setup steps are the same for Entourage 2008. They've got lots of details for advanced settings for IMAP, so I highly recommend going through all of their steps.

Regards,
Nadyne.

Thanks for the great reply. Can you please clairify something for me? If I want to store on gmail but delete in Entourage and not have gmail re-download, can I just move mail out of my gmail inbox to folders. In other words, if gmail inbox is empty, am I OK? Thanks

Christine

denim912

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
yes, I am having the same problem, and it is soooo infuriating!

It all seems to stem from setting up a gmail account, so this is where I'm guessing the root of the problem lies. However

- I have deleted my POP account from gmail
- I have checked the 'delete emails from the server', but done 'after 2 days' (as I access emails on my iphone, and therefore need a copy in both Entourage and on the phone)

I have been in contact with my ISP, but they were no use, and did not manage to fix it. At the moment, I have resorted to downloading the 'remove duplicates script (http://www.barryw.net/scripts/), and then edited the 'run schedules' to automatically run the script every day. However, this is clearly not a long term fix. I am at a loss what to do, so will follow this thread avidly to see if there are some more thoughts out there.

Please help!

Thanks

netwalker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
yes, I am having the same problem, and it is soooo infuriating!

It all seems to stem from setting up a gmail account, so this is where I'm guessing the root of the problem lies.

I am having the mail duplication with an internal exchange server account. Started happening a couple of weeks ago. Since then repaired the database, updated Entourage 2008 to the latest version (12.1.9 build 090515) and created a brand new account where it also started happening after a while.

Once in a while I get Database Daemon Fatal Error messages in Entourage.

Attachments

• EntourageError.png
    EntourageError.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 288

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
I am having the mail duplication with an internal exchange server account. Started happening a couple of weeks ago. Since then repaired the database, updated Entourage 2008 to the latest version (12.1.9 build 090515) and created a brand new account where it also started happening after a while.

Once in a while I get Database Daemon Fatal Error messages in Entourage.

Did you create a new account (that is, in Entourage, go to Account Settings and then click the "new" button there), or did you create a new identity (go to the Entourage menu, select "switch identities", then click on the "new" button)? If you only did the former, try the latter.

If you tried the latter, then you should call tech support, because I'm likely not going to be able to help you on the forums. With your retail purchase of Office 2008, you get two free calls to tech support. To get the right phone number for your region, start off here.

Regards,
Nadyne.

btechpro

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
Entourage switching from POP to IMAP

I am also getting duplicate emails in entourage and have a gmail account with POP enabled as well. If I switch from POP to IMAP, will I lose my contacts in Entourage?

Any help would be appreciated!

Taureg

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2010
Every email is a duplicate

I am finally getting around to trying to fix this - I am set up POP on Gmail and my problem is that EVERY email comes in as a duplicate, which I know is a problem with Entourage 2008 (current on updates) because it didn't happen with Mail or on my iPhone.

I just changed the setting to "delete when deleted in Entourage," which I'm not crazy about because I delete things from my iPhone that I sometimes want at home - but that's clearly not my problem because the duplication is occurring at the time that the email is received.

I have TWO Gmail accounts but several months ago stopped one of them from forwarding to the other, in the hope this was the problem, but it has no effect.

If this thread is still active, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

CarolLS

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
Entourage 2004 Duplicate Emails Galore

I am running Entourage 2004 with Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.3). It has been trouble-free until this week. Now, it downloads >4000 duplicate emails every time it hits the Hotmail server (a POP account).

My settings are:

"Leave a copy of each message on the server (I want them stored there for access from other devices/locations.)"

"Delete messages from the server after they are deleted from this computer."

These settings have not been changed. It has worked perfectly with them until this week.

I noticed that when "Leave a copy..." is checked, a box that says, "Get all messages left on server" also appears. When I click on it, it says it will download approximately 130 messages. That's about right. But the reality is that it downloads >4000.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Carol

suzer

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
Entourage and Gmail Duplicates

I too had this problem. I do want to leave gmail messages on the server so my iPhone and other computers can see them. In fact I kept getting emails I thought I had deleted from the server and couldn't even find on the server. It was insane.

Here is how I solved it.

In gmail online, go to Settings
Go to Forwarding and pop/imap

for POP Download you have three choices:
Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)
Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on
Disable POP

Choose the second one: you won't get old emails that have already been downloaded. You'll only get those that come in from the moment you choose this option. And you can leave them on the server so other apps, iphones, other computers can get them.

Make sure each of your computers and iphones have them all downloaded first, though, or you will lose them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.