Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhart535

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
I just recently purchased a Macbook pro and have downloaded firefox as my web browser. I installed the add-on adblock pro, and it is without a doubt 100% ineffective; I view web pages and when I place the mouse on top of the icon it tells me it is active, however below it notifies me that it has blocked 0 out of 150 or however blockable items on the given page. I mean absolutely nothing is prevented, I found a similar add on for safari, and the same results, nothing blocked. I must be doing something completely wrong, or something so blatantly obvious, but I really am clueless.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
You got a subscription active? Force an update?
Failing that, start adding your own wildcard filters as you go.

dhart535

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
No I have no subscriptions, I don't know what could interfere with those functions, something seems inherently wrong. I literally just bought the computer yesterday.

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
I'm just using the EasyList (USA) subscription in ABP, works for most ads. I also have my own custom filters as well.

Kate.

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
US
No I have no subscriptions, I don't know what could interfere with those functions, something seems inherently wrong. I literally just bought the computer yesterday.

Subscriptions are what tell Adblock how to work. When you first install it, it asks you to choose a subscription. Otherwise, you have to block ads manually.

dhart535

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
I'm not given any option to choose a subscription when downloading, I just click ok and then it asks me to restart firefox after it's installed.

I found that easy list subscription online and now I am seeing results, and yes I understand the logic that there must be a list out there, I just assumed that abp would already carry it. Bad assumption,
thanks guys and gals

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
After you install Adblock Plus and Firefox restarts, it pops up a browser window asking you to select a subscription.

Most of the times I've done this, that window ends up getting hidden behind another Firefox window, so it's easy to miss. And if you're like me and command-Q when you're done browsing, it closes all Firefox windows, so you'll really never have seen it.

Glad you got it up and running! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.