Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Hey guys,

I try to connect to my the wifi here in my dorm (802.1x) and since last night it says that there's no Internet connection but it allows me to connect to the network if that makes sense. I know the network does have a connection as I tried it with my iPhone. Anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks a lot,

Nik
edit- I tried things like shutting down my computer and turning the airport on and off to no avail

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Just tried resetting pram and smc controller. Didn't fix the problem either...

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA

stoconnell said:
Anything interesting in /var/log/system.log regarding wireless? It could be something that a permissions repair might fix.

Where do I find the log?or more specifically where is "var"? I tried verifying and repairing permissions, but it didn't seem to fix the problem.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA

Where do I find the log?or more specifically where is "var"? I tried verifying and repairing permissions, but it didn't seem to fix the problem.

“Var” is a hidden folder on Macintosh HD (or similar). Run this command in Terminal.app and then find the log:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA

Ok found the log. I had it open and whn trying to connect to the network two new entries appear.
These are abbreviated...
PEAP: successfully authenticated

then.

__cfserviceControllerBeginPBSLoadForLocalizations timed out while talking to pbs

hope this helps

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA

dazey said:
Assuming that you are on DHCP, do you get a valid IP address?

In my network prefs it says that the airport does not have an ip address and cannot connect to the Internet.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Nik-

Sorry, I am one of those command line/UNIX types, so I tend to just assume that people use Terminal.app as much as I do... apologies. MacOS also provides the Console.app, which allows you to see the system log.

Have you tried the permissions repair in the Disk Utility? My brother had a problem with his wireless not connecting that turned out to be a permissions issue. The other thing to do is check to see if you have a lot of saved wireless connections and move the more frequently used ones to the top of the stack and delete any that are not used.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA

stoconnell said:
Nik-

Sorry, I am one of those command line/UNIX types, so I tend to just assume that people use Terminal.app as much as I do... apologies. MacOS also provides the Console.app, which allows you to see the system log.

Have you tried the permissions repair in the Disk Utility? My brother had a problem with his wireless not connecting that turned out to be a permissions issue. The other thing to do is check to see if you have a lot of saved wireless connections and move the more frequently used ones to the top of the stack and delete any that are not used.

I tried verifying disk permissions but it did not help. I also tried moving around the wireless networks but the one I use most often (and am having problems with) is at the top of the list.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009

I tried verifying disk permissions but it did not help. I also tried moving around the wireless networks but the one I use most often (and am having problems with) is at the top of the list.

One thing to try would be to delete that particular setting and remove any keychain settings associated with it and try re-instantiating it and see if that helps.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA

stoconnell said:

One thing to try would be to delete that particular setting and remove any keychain settings associated with it and try re-instantiating it and see if that helps.

I just tried that and still nothing. I noticed a log entry that says
ACNetworkGetSSID called with invalid network ref

not too sure what that means though

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009

I just tried that and still nothing. I noticed a log entry that says
ACNetworkGetSSID called with invalid network ref

not too sure what that means though

A quick google search hit on these 2 threads in apple discussions forum:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2139813
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2188124

Do you have any keychain entries associated with this? I would look at removing those as well. And try again. Have you changed your password on your machine? or with the university? It could be a credential cache/keychain problem.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Go into your airport utility and set up your connection from scratch again.
It may also give you more info on the problem. In the utility folder in
applications.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA
I tried nearly everything suggested to no avail so I headed to the apple store today. They tried running on a new account and the problem persisted. They then tried running off a KG (known good) OS and it was fine. They then archived and installed snow leopard, but because snow leopard doesn't allow you to not transfer over network settings the problem persisted. The solution came by erasing and installing. Problem solved, just had to restore from time machine and my data was back.

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
I tried nearly everything suggested to no avail so I headed to the apple store today. They tried running on a new account and the problem persisted. They then tried running off a KG (known good) OS and it was fine. They then archived and installed snow leopard, but because snow leopard doesn't allow you to not transfer over network settings the problem persisted. The solution came by erasing and installing. Problem solved, just had to restore from time machine and my data was back.

Wow. I am shocked, surprised, disappointed that it took doing that just to get networking functionality back. Sounds like something became corrupted at the system level, but still .. wow. I am glad that you were able to restore functionality.

S

SleeplessNights

Dorm Room in MA?

Nik,

By chance, was this Northeastern's network that you were trying to connect to?

I was connected to their network yesterday and have suddenly been experiencing the same problem. I've since taken my Macbook home and to work and my Airport can find wireless networks, but I'm unable to connect to the internet using Safari or FireFox. I'm working through the suggestions posted, but am hoping not to have to go as far as erasing and reinstalling.

dauneq1

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
it worked

I just wanted to post my experience + results. my MBA (macbook air) was experiencing the same problem - no internet connection. This was happening in locations where i had previously connected to the internet, as well as using tethering on my iphone.

my solution (thanks to this thread) was to reset the permissions. I went into the disk utility and reset permissions. then I turned of the airport on the mba, restarted the mba, and turned mba back on - and voila - internet worked again.

prior to doing the above, i did delete all unused locations from my network settings as well.

hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.