Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

132901-wordpress_2_1.jpg
132901-wordpress_2_2.jpg

Blog software publisher WordPress today announced that WordPress for iPhone 2 [App Store, Free] is now available. The new version, which is a separate application from the original WordPress app and thus can not be obtained via the App Store's update mechanism, brings a number of new features for those looking to administer their WordPress-based blogs on the go. The most notable changes include:

- Faster, more efficient user interface with various other refinements and bug fixes
- Keychain storage of passwords
- Automatic saving and restoration of blog posts in case of loss of network connection
Our efforts were focused on creating a better user experience -- the beginnings of a user interface overhaul that we'll continue with the next version, and eliminating the bugs and incompatibilities with some self-hosted WordPress setups that was the source of the majority of the support requests we see in the forum.

Article Link: WordPress 2 for iPhone Now Available

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sounds real good. I do like the original WP iPhone app. I've only used it to write an entry twice but it's nice.

I don't get why they didn't have this as an update to the original app; if they are both free and there will now be no reason to keep the original app they should just update the original to this 2.0 version (but having to remember all of my passwords and user names by switching to a whole new app will be a pain!) Just doesn't make sense...

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Wordpress iPhone dev blog says:

MT October 29th, 2009 at 6:06 pm **reply
Between version 1.x and 2.0, ownership of the app in the App Store changed from a subcontractor to Automattic. I guess this is fairly uncommon, because creating a new application in the store was Apple’s recommendation for our situation. Shouldn’t have to happen again, though.

so fair enough...

I also don't use it often, but will definitely upgrade/download... It is free afterall ;)

/Doug

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
About to test this out now. Hopefully the features I really want will be implemented

posts look fine but looks like not all pages are showing up. Same problem in version 1

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I wrote a few posts on one of my blogs today with this updated app. Works pretty good. They finally fixed the issue with the photos uploading in reverse from how you added them in the app. They now show up in the same order as the app.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Cool, I do like the existing app for a quick blog entry but it was very basic in what it could do. Look forward to seeing what the new app offers

Pundle

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
I wonder what the reasoning is behind making it a separate app? Plenty of users won't be aware this new app exists.

Toronto111

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
A new, more efficient user interface that makes it faster to switch between comments, posts, and pages.
* Various user interface refinements and bug fixes
* New Comments interface, with Gravatars and the author URL shown in the comment list
* Passwords are now stored in the keychain
* Posts are now automatically saved and restored if network connection is lost during publishing
* Added persistence, so the app re-opens in the blog you last used
* Added an interface for manually entering the XMLRPC endpoint for non-standard setups
* Fixed rotation-related visual glitches
* Fixed errors where malformed XML prevented access to XMLRPC endpoint
* Fixed edge case where local drafts were sometimes not saved
* Fixed the order of photos so that they’re displayed in the order they’re uploaded

WordPress for iPhone is an open source application and is available free from the Apple App store.

fusse

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2009
Manchester, UK
I don't get why they didn't have this as an update to the original app; if they are both free and there will now be no reason to keep the original app they should just update the original to this 2.0 version (but having to remember all of my passwords and user names by switching to a whole new app will be a pain!) Just doesn't make sense...

They're probably just releasing the new 2.x branch separately by convention. But I can't see why the passwords would be an issue, since you'd change them regularly and have a procedure for that anyway... right?

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Wordpress 2 for the iPhone is getting some pretty bad reviews at iTunes app store...hope they fix that stuff.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
It works quite well for me, but mine is a new and very simple blog. Maybe that's why it is good enough for me. So far there is only one bug: If I sync iPhone app when I have a draft on prepared through the desktop web browser at wordpress.com, it stays on the app even if I later delete the draft through the web browser.

aggleam

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
hepl me plzzzzzzzzz

I am having this issue as well. I simply don't know where to look for the Local Drafts - there is no folder or anything, so the post seems to disappear out in the open.

Using iPhone 3.0, Wordpress-in-iPhone 2.0, selfhosted wordpress 2.8.4.

Where are the Local Drafts supposed to be found? Because they might be there, I simply cannot see them. Have created a 5,6 small new posts, all saved to Local Draft, but I cannot find any of them.

Thanks in advance

kites4sale

Suspended
Dec 16, 2009
I am having this issue as well. I simply don't know where to look for the Local Drafts - there is no folder or anything, so the post seems to disappear out in the open.

Using iPhone 3.0, Wordpress-in-iPhone 2.0, selfhosted wordpress 2.8.4.

Where are the Local Drafts supposed to be found? Because they might be there, I simply cannot see them. Have created a 5,6 small new posts, all saved to Local Draft, but I cannot find any of them.

Thanks in advance

Great ideas here - thanks for sharing peeps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.