Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluoma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
I'm currently waiting for my first Mac to arrive. Here's what I've purchased:

Single 2.93ghz Quad-Core "Nehalem" with 8g of Ram. I'm also going to be using Logic Studio.

I understand that Logic can only use 4g of ram since it's still a 32 bit application. Can I host virtual instruments in another application, Bidule, for example, then route the outputs via rewire back into Logic through auxes? Will this allow me to use all of my ram effectively? I'm trying to get all of this sorted out before my system arrives.

Thanks,
Brian

zosoaudo007

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2007
It seems that the RAM limit is a gray area with the emergence of Snow Leopard. Since it is 64-bit.

I have heard that some people using Logic with SL are not hitting that RAM ceiling.

I have also heard that SL does not fix the RAM ceiling issue for many other people.

That said, if you do have issues with the RAM ceiling, the best alternative is to Rewire things in. Or use the standalone of an instrument you are using.

While Logic has a relatively low RAM ceiling OSX does not. Snow Leopard has a limit of 16TB. Leopard's limit is 32 GB. So anything you use outside of Logic really only depends on how much RAM your system has.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm currently waiting for my first Mac to arrive. Here's what I've purchased:

Single 2.93ghz Quad-Core "Nehalem" with 8g of Ram. I'm also going to be using Logic Studio.

I understand that Logic can only use 4g of ram since it's still a 32 bit

With 32-bit apps, it's 4GB per process. Your Mac will be running a lot more than just Logic. First there is Mac OS X itself and then the user interface server that does all the drawing to the screen and the disk caches and as you brought up, software instruments. 8Gb is a good number.

Once you get the computer look in Activity Monitor and you will be able to see the details of how the RAM is used. My guess is that Logic will not even use all or the 4GB it could, likely far less. But it depends entirely on what you do with the software. Activity Monitor will tell you. Normally I'd recommend buying on'y 4GB then looking to see if more woud hep but if 8Gb reasonable economically then start with that.

bluoma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
It seems that the RAM limit is a gray area with the emergence of Snow Leopard. Since it is 64-bit.

I have heard that some people using Logic with SL are not hitting that RAM ceiling.

I have also heard that SL does not fix the RAM ceiling issue for many other people.

That said, if you do have issues with the RAM ceiling, the best alternative is to Rewire things in. Or use the standalone of an instrument you are using.

While Logic has a relatively low RAM ceiling OSX does not. Snow Leopard has a limit of 16TB. Leopard's limit is 32 GB. So anything you use outside of Logic really only depends on how much RAM your system has.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like standalone/rewire is the way to go.

bluoma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
With 32-bit apps, it's 4GB per process. Your Mac will be running a lot more than just Logic. First there is Mac OS X itself and then the user interface server that does all the drawing to the screen and the disk caches and as you brought up, software instruments. 8Gb is a good number.

Once you get the computer look in Activity Monitor and you will be able to see the details of how the RAM is used. My guess is that Logic will not even use all or the 4GB it could, likely far less. But it depends entirely on what you do with the software. Activity Monitor will tell you. Normally I'd recommend buying on'y 4GB then looking to see if more woud hep but if 8Gb reasonable economically then start with that.

Thanks..

I plan on creating an orchestral template in Logic. The Activity Monitor will probably be a second home for me. :)

seisend

Suspended
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
Logic showed me the RAM Warning message with a project and 1.96 GB use of ram (activity monitor). I guess Logic would crash with 2.00 GB use of ram. This is very very frustrating.....

system: Mac Pro - 12 GB Ram

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Logic can use upto 4GB ram. The EXS24 (Sampler in Logic) can use it's own allocation of 4GB outside of what Logic uses.

seisend

Suspended
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
Logic can use upto 4GB ram. The EXS24 (Sampler in Logic) can use it's own allocation of 4GB outside of what Logic uses.

It "can" do it. But why doesn't it work ? There are many users including me complaining that Logic doesn't even reach the 4GB limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.