Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

121056-easypay_front.jpg

121302-easypay_rear.jpg

ifoAppleStore's Gary Allen posts a preview at AppleInsider of Apple's new iPod touch-based EasyPay checkout system for its retail stores. The preview comes after last week's news that Apple is beginning the process of rolling out the new devices to replace the existing Windows CE-based EasyPay handheld systems.

The new iPod-touch based system consists of an integrated hard plastic shell housing the iPod touch, a magnetic stripe reader for credit cards and a barcode scanner for scanning product information. The shell also includes a hidden rechargeable battery to power the auxiliary hardware.

121056-easypay_scanner.jpg

Barcode Scanner and Magnetic Stripe Reader
Credit card transactions will reportedly be handled entirely on the EasyPay device, with customers using a stylus to enter their signature electronically on the iPod touch.

121056-easypay_signature.jpg

Debit customers will need to swipe their cards and enter their PIN numbers at separate terminals located throughout the stores, but the remainder of the checkout process can be handled on the EasyPay device. Cash transactions using the EasyPay device will be rolled out at selected stores over the next six months and will allow sales associates to use the EasyPay system to electronically access any of several cash drawers scattered about the store to complete transactions.

iPhone purchasing and activation has also reportedly been integrated into the new system, allowing sales associates to enter customers' calling plan and add-on selections and permit customers to review and sign the terms and conditions required for iPhone purchases. The system can also be used to process many returns, locating purchase records via the barcode on the customer's receipt, product serial number, customer e-mail address, or credit/debit card number and generating a credit to the customer's account.

Article Link: Overview of Apple's New iPod Touch-Based EasyPay Retail Store Checkout System

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
Stylus? I thought the touchscreen wouldn't work with a stylus.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Wow Ten1 must be thrilled that Apple Stores are using the Pogo Sketch. I must say I bought Autograph and I am pleased with the results.

Shop link here!

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Very nice!

Those WinMo ones they had were a pain in the butt to use. I remember when they first asked us to start using them :(

daddywags214

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm guessing the plastic is necessary for the magnetic card reader to work. It is ugly, but it's also probably designed to take a lot of abuse and be replaced cheaply. Cool idea! The best thing ever to be associated with Windows CE was the Dreamcast.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Finally an Apple solution for the Apple Store. Nice to see you CAN do business without Windows.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Slick

This looks like an SLA mock up. The positioning of the card slider and bar code reader in a rugged case is a great piece of design. I have seen kludges just grab to the bottom of other handheld making their height twice. The position of the card swiper is quit intuitive and not a big half ball at the top like other designs. I'm sure this will be available for other retailers by next year. The bar code scanner is nice too, nice and small. My guess is that they will come out in the Apple egg shine white like a lot of things in their store.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I wonder if Apple will consider marketing this system to other businesses?

Of course!

Apple has less market share than Microsoft just because Microsoft focus in industries that Apple does not. But in the desing business Apple has a mayor share than Microsoft.

What Apple is trying to do is to enter in the retail market and filtrate corporations from there starting with the point of purchase.

callumacrae

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2009
Looks much better than the old ones.

Hopefully these ones will actually work...

I agree, it doesn't look too pretty, but still prettier than the old ones :)

~Callum

lylegrad

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
nice

those heavy ass easypays were very heavy, and checking out customers could be a problem sometimes. these new ones look absolutely amazing, and i wish i still worked there so i could use them, even though i agree with everyone on here, brushed aluminum would have been MUCH sleeker

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.