Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today officially announced that more than 100,000 apps are now available from the App Store.

"The App Store, now with over 100,000 applications available, is clearly a major differentiator for millions of iPhone and iPod touch customers around the world,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "The iPhone SDK created the first great platform for mobile applications and our customers are loving all of the amazing apps our developers are creating.”

"The App Store has forever changed the mobile gaming industry and continues to improve," said Travis Boatman, vice president of Worldwide Studios, EA Mobile. "With a global reach of over 50 million iPhone and iPod touch users, the App Store has allowed us to develop high quality EA games that have been a huge success with customers."

“With 10,000 downloads a day, worldwide customer response to our I Am T-Pain App has exceeded our wildest expectations,” said Jeff Smith, CEO of Smule. “The App Store has given us a unique opportunity to create and grow a very successful business, and we’re looking forward to an exciting future.”

An announcement was expected ever since App Shopper.com noted that over 100,000 applications had been approved. Apple's previous official announcement of App Store application count occurred in late September, when the store surpassed two billion downloads with 85,000 available apps.

Article Link: Apple Announces Over 100,000 Apps Available on the App Store

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
God, I would love to see some kind of rarefaction curve for the apps out there. Not sure about the metric to use, but it would be interesting.

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
I just wish there was an easier way to search through those 100,000 apps... if you're not a new release or featured then you get buried.

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
“With 10,000 downloads a day, worldwide customer response to our I Am T-Pain App has exceeded our wildest expectations,”

That's like 30 grand a day :eek:

hhaeschen

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
EU
All There Is, Is Crap!

Cue the app store is full of crap and fart app folks.

+1

I have trouble to find useful apps in the store.

Plus, lite versions should be counted as one app together with their full versions....

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
+1

I have trouble to find useful apps in the store.

Plus, lite versions should be counted as one app together with their full versions....

"Top Grossing", "Top 25" in each category, "Top paid", "Top Free", etc.

Use the filters for each caegory.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
It's funny that Apple bashes Microsoft for touting that Windows had thousands and thousands more apps than Apple's Mac OSX does when it's the quality that counts. Yet, when the App Store has over 100,000 apps and most of those are crap as well, they spin it in their favor :D

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
"With a global reach of over 50 million iPhone and iPod touch users, the App Store has allowed us to develop high quality EA games that have been a huge success with customers."

High quality..?!

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
It's funny that Apple bashes Microsoft for touting that Windows had thousands and thousands more apps than Apple's Mac OSX does when it's the quality that counts. Yet, when the App Store has over 100,000 apps and most of those are crap as well, they spin it in their favor :D

Apple bashed Microsoft for having more apps? When?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I wonder how many it will peak at. Will they keep apps in the store for ever or will there be a point where older/less popular apps get deleted?

I have a feeling that a MAJOR change in the OS/Firmware and hardware will keep some compatibility ... but older 2.0/2.2 apps will be pulled. With notification to those developers to get 3.0/3.1 compatible apps ready else loosing their current apps - and customers.

This could occur for the 4th generation iPhone and could begin this summer.

Time for Apple to bring up THEIR game:
- AddressBook improvements: sync with "the social" with user fine control.
- PIM improvements.
- more RAM 1GB; on less OR using of free storage space to improve RAM on the fly ;)
- bring the core OS to support SMP and use the Cortex A9 based cpu's this summer.
- allow for limited mult-processing in a way that only Apple could make it elegant.
- but MOST IMPORTANTLY increase - significantly - battery life by increasing battery size: use that MBP battery technology here.

PS My battery life on my 3GS with my provider is no better, but hardly worse than my previous cellphone battery kings: Ericsson T-39m, Nokia E71, SE W810 (only 1 is a smartphone: and BB's never came close! yes I used POP3 emails on ALL/E71 push email).

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
That's a lot of new developers out there with Obj-C/Cocoa experience.

I wonder at what point Apple is going to try and nudge them towards Mac development as well. I still think a Mac App Store would revitalise the Mac market.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
God, I would love to see some kind of rarefaction curve for the apps out there. Not sure about the metric to use, but it would be interesting.

I'd like to see a graph of each application versus downloads over the last three months split by paid vs free. 100,000 is great but how many are being used?

High quality..?!

Oh yes. Some of them are very good indeed.

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
Wonder how long it will take to start slowing down.

At some point the market will be so saturated, it will be hard to get in, or at least be noticed.

Or... I wonder when every name will be taken.

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
Thousands of those are out-of-copyright books sold as a standalone app. I don't want to sound too negative 100,000 apps is pretty meaningless. Right now I have about 10 apps that "survive" on my iphone, all the others are deleted after a few days.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Apple bashed Microsoft for having more apps? When?

Many times in the 1990s. It was about OSX quality of apps vs Windows quantity. I just find it ironic that they are doing just the opposite now and you don't hear anything about the number of apps on Windows vs OSX anymore.

Isn't it ironic?

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Wonder how long it will take to start slowing down.

At some point the market will be so saturated, it will be hard to get in, or at least be noticed.

Or... I wonder when every name will be taken.

When the novelty wears off and realization sets in that most of it is, well, novelty and little else. Probably this time next year.

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
And yet I only own 4 of them. Most I think are not worth it as they just gimmicky or useless, but that's my opinion, I 'm sure everyone needs a good fart app or fake call to get out of a date or meeting. Oh cant forget about the level app for when you are building a house and your iphone was all you brought. Ha!

Keep up the good work apple. Look forward to the itablet so I can read books and nothing else.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
If it's true, it's true. I've found some great apps and paid for the quality ones that weren't free, but there are a lot of useless and terrible apps in that store.

First, what's crap to you is someone else's favorite app. Second, the number of good apps matters far more than the percentage of good apps. I have maybe a dozen 3rd party apps that are so good as to be truly indispensable (to me). But in order for all of us to find our dozen indispensable apps, there have to be a lot of devs putting a lot of things out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.