Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I know people have been asking all over the board, so here's the answer, courtesy phoeny at the Dev-Team blog:

How to check your iPhone's bootrom using Windows:

Put your iPhone into DFU mode (how to/tutorial for this step at iClarified).

Then go to Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager on your Windows machine.

Look for 'Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller', you will find 'Apple Mobile Device USB Driver' as a subitem there.

Right Click and choose 'Properties', navigate to 'Details' tab and select Device Instance Path from the dropdown list box. At the end of this information string you will find the bootrom version, e.g. [iBoot-359.x].

And, for those who don't know, on a Mac the procedure is:

How to check your iPhone's bootrom using OSX:

Put your iPhone into DFU mode (how to/tutorial for this step at iClarified).

Open System Profiler and navigate to Hardware -> USB in the left menu.

In the USB Device Tree pane at top right, click on 'Apple Mobile Device (DFU Mode).'

In the information pane at bottom right, locate the 'Serial Number' string. At the end of this information string you will find the bootrom version, e.g. [iBoot-359.x].

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
Once in DFU mode, where do you go from here. You're now stuck with your phone in DFU mode and will have to restore surely? All just to find the bootrom version.

The info works though, I tried it on one of my other iPhones so thanks.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Once in DFU mode, where do you go from here. You're now stuck with your phone in DFU mode and will have to restore surely? All just to find the bootrom version.

Why would you have to restore? You can get out of DFU mode by holding down the home button and the power button for about 10 seconds. If your phone is connected to your computer you'll hear a beep as when a USB device is disconnected. Then just press the power button and your phone will start up as usual.

And there are very good reasons one might want to check his iBoot version. People who bought iPhones around week 40 need to know whether they have the new version of iBoot, which requires a tethered jailbreak.

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
I thought you had to restore to get out of DFU mode. When ever I've gone into DFU mode and rebooted it took me to the recovery screen telling me to plug into iTunes.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
what iboot number will it say if you have the new pita bootrom?

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
thanks lizard!
my friend just got a 3GS two days ago, i almost jb it until i read about the tethering restriction on the new bootrom. But the phone was purchased at ATT store, and when i checked it, it still had 3.1 installed.... if the OS wasnt updated to 3.1.2 i have a hunch maybe theres a chance it may be older stock, and have the older bootrom. heres to hoping... i'll look today.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
thanks lizard!
my friend just got a 3GS two days ago, i almost jb it until i read about the tethering restriction on the new bootrom. But the phone was purchased at ATT store, and when i checked it, it still had 3.1 installed.... if the OS wasnt updated to 3.1.2 i have a hunch maybe theres a chance it may be older stock, and have the older bootrom. heres to hoping... i'll look today.

Probably, must be a slower AT&T store to see 3.1 still

Did you check the 4th & 5th characters of the serial # to see what week it was made ??

XX936 and below is golden

MinuteDreamer

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Hi guys :)

Just in case anyone's looking to this thread as a reference, the instructions didn't work for me. (I'm on WinXP, with a 3GS)

Specifically, when I went to look in the details panel, I didn't have a "Device Instance Path" as a drop down option. I had something close, "Device Instance Code" or something like that, but it didn't have the iBoot version information.

BUT I was able to use usbview (instead of device manager) to figure it out. USBview is one of the tools you use to get your ECID when you're using umbrella to generate a backup shsh in case you want to reinstall an old firmware after Apple decides it doesn't want to let you anymore.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links in this forum, so if you're looking for usbview, you can google for: "howto usbview ecid shsh umbrella" to see how it's used for iPhones.

Oh, and the Power+Home button trick worked just fine for me for getting out of DFU mode.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Hi guys :)

Just in case anyone's looking to this thread as a reference, the instructions didn't work for me. (I'm on WinXP, with a 3GS)

Specifically, when I went to look in the details panel, I didn't have a "Device Instance Path" as a drop down option. I had something close, "Device Instance Code" or something like that, but it didn't have the iBoot version information.

BUT I was able to use usbview (instead of device manager) to figure it out. USBview is one of the tools you use to get your ECID when you're using umbrella to generate a backup shsh in case you want to reinstall an old firmware after Apple decides it doesn't want to let you anymore.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links in this forum, so if you're looking for usbview, you can google for: "howto usbview ecid shsh umbrella" to see how it's used for iPhones.

Oh, and the Power+Home button trick worked just fine for me for getting out of DFU mode.

Links are fine as long as it's not pirated software.

Aznheat

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
What is tethered jailbreaking? If I have the new bootrom, does that mean it's hopeless... for now :D...

Anyways, I haven't been able to jailbreak my 3Gs, with ANY method. Always run into the 16XX errors. Windows and Mac. :(

extece

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
I don't get it.

Mine is:

USB\VID_05AC&PID_1281\CPID:8920_CPRV:15_CPFM:03_SCEP:03_BDID:00_ECID:00000XXXXXXXXXXX_IBFL:01_SRNM:[XXX40XXXXXX]_IMEI:[0119XXXXXXXXXXXX]

I don't see where the Boot Rom Id is.

I have tried this on WinXP Pro and Windows Seven.

iPhone-power

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
I don't get it.

Mine is:

USB\VID_05AC&PID_1281\CPID:8920_CPRV:15_CPFM:03_SCEP:03_BDID:00_ECID:00000XXXXXXXXXXX_IBFL:01_SRNM:[XXX40XXXXXX]_IMEI:[0119XXXXXXXXXXXX]

I don't see where the Boot Rom Id is.

I have tried this on WinXP Pro and Windows Seven.

That is the display from Recovery Mode not DFU Mode.

While you have it, make note of your ECID # as it can be needed for some 3GS restores using SHSH.

mikk76

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
hi guys, i followed the tips detailed in the post #1 and i returned this info :confused:

Anyone can hep me to understand if i have new iboot?

idistanza25220_8.jpg

macrumors-james

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
didn't work for me

didn't work for me, there is no "Device Instance Path" listed and i'm definitely in DFU mode. Refurb 3gs from Black Friday '09

See photos:
2w5oksp.jpg

-----------

t9efd0.jpg

EDIT: i'm attaching the photos too incase the above photos go offline

EDIT: nevermind, DFU does not work on 3GS: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/747363/ :(:mad::confused:

Attachments

• iphonedfu04.jpg
    iphonedfu04.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 476
  • iphonedfu03.jpg
    iphonedfu03.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 462
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.