Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
I played through Castle Crashers the other month with a friend. It's pretty good for co-op play: you can see elements taken from games like Ninja Turtles, River City Ransom, and Guardian Heroes, but it has enough self-styling to hold its head up high as a unique entry within the beat-em-up genre.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I played through Castle Crashers the other month with a friend. It's pretty good for co-op play: you can see elements taken from games like Ninja Turtles, River City Ransom, and Guardian Heroes, but it has enough self-styling to hold its head up high as a unique entry within the beat-em-up genre.

It looks like this could be fun on coop, but I tried it (the trial version) solo and after about 10 min, my hand started getting sore from constant button mashing. Been a while since I've done a game like this. :)

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
It looks like this could be fun on coop, but I tried it (the trial version) solo and after about 10 min, my hand started getting sore from constant button mashing. Been a while since I've done a game like this. :)

Having friends cuts down on the button-mashing a little bit, but it is a beat-em-up after all ;). I wouldn't want to play it solo; without a friend to laugh at it with, the game just gets too monotonous.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This weekend I purchased the new coop map pack for Left 4 Dead called "Crash Course". Chronologically it's links No Mercy with Death Toll. On Xbox it cost about 600 credits (approx $4). It offered about 45 min of play though two sections (1 safe house stop). It's short, if you are a L4D fan, it's fun, although the final fight on top of an armored bus was NOT nearly as challenging as the No Mercy finale and the level design was blah, more same-0.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Meh, I thought Crash Course was a bit rubbish... and I got it for free! I couldn't imagine paying money for 2 maps. They're not even well designed, just make your way through some streets (again) :eek:.
Takes about 35-40 mins on Versus, usual run time for me and my friends is 13 mins (then again we can speed run No Mercy in 17 mins).

Left4Dead 2 next month though. Should be another stellar co-op game!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Meh, I thought Crash Course was a bit rubbish... and I got it for free! I couldn't imagine paying money for 2 maps. They're not even well designed, just make your way through some streets (again) :eek:.
Takes about 35-40 mins on Versus, usual run time for me and my friends is 13 mins (then again we can speed run No Mercy in 17 mins).

Left4Dead 2 next month though. Should be another stellar co-op game!

I agree. The level design was below average and I forgot to tweak that (now corrected). L4D2, drooling...

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
I have been having fun with the XBLA game Zombie Apocalypse. It's a 4 player game that brings L4D together with old school SmashTV style gameplay. There is a demo for it so check it out.

I also didn't see anyone mention Marvel Ultimate Alliance. That game has 4 player local play on it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have been having fun with the XBLA game Zombie Apocalypse. It's a 4 player game that brings L4D together with old school SmashTV style gameplay. There is a demo for it so check it out.

I also didn't see anyone mention Marvel Ultimate Alliance. That game has 4 player local play on it.

Thanks for the heads up! ZA, looks like it has potential. teamxbox.com preview.

A friend and I played up through level 9 today in Borderlands. Unique, good looking graphics. Outstanding coop experience imo. 2 Player split screen offline. Some confusion can be avoided the sooner you locate your backpack. (Back button, then LB to scroll through the categories.) Coming from Halo, I was not thinking about backpacks and for a while, was peeved about losing a rifle that was in my inventory all of the time.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just played the L4D2 demo (xbox live), more coop goodness! Mostly more of the same, but a new setting (New Orleans), some new abilities, new weapons, new mobs. Ellis (guy with hat) could easily be Jason Stackhouse (Trueblood). :)

Tip: If you see a frypan or machetter and contemplate using it for a weapon, it's not nearly as good as your pistol and besides, I could not find my pistol laying around after I made the switch. :eek:

Having to give up your pistol with it's never ending ammo, for a melee weapon seems to be quite a sacrifice. Now if you could cycle between all three...rifle/shotgun/machinegun+pistol+melee, that would be better.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
There are a couple games I play coop in addition to the stuff that has already been discussed here.

Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga - Obviously this is a more family oriented game, but I really enjoy it. All of the Lego games are very fun. You can play 2-player coop, either on the same console, or over Live. The odd thing is, Lego Star Wars was the first game that Travelers Tales released in their Lego series, and it had coop. Every one since then has not. Real bummer, because Lego Indy and Lego Batman are better games. But, Lego Star Wars is good fun.

Crackdown - This game is one of my favorite 360 games ever. It is just a load of fun to run around the game world blowing crap up and just generally destroying everything. The game is even better when you get 2 players in it. You have access to the entire game world at all times, so you can either team up on objectives or split up and accomplish them quicker. A very highly overlooked game, and one that is great fun in coop.

Crackdown 2 is coming out in a few weeks, and it looks to just expand on everything from the first one. The story mode can now do 4 player coop, and they are adding a 16 player competitive multiplayer. I can't wait.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Check Fable II. I'm not sure if it's just online coop. I think 2 can play without being online.

I agree with Crackdown. Crackdown 2 is coming.

Too bad Saint's Row 2 is online coop, that's a good one.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Crackdown - This game is one of my favorite 360 games ever. It is just a load of fun to run around the game world blowing crap up and just generally destroying everything. The game is even better when you get 2 players in it. You have access to the entire game world at all times, so you can either team up on objectives or split up and accomplish them quicker. A very highly overlooked game, and one that is great fun in coop.

I'm hoping this might be offline coop. Is this a straight shooter or is it more of a shooter rpg with character levels and increasing capabilities?
Thanks!

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
I'm hoping this might be offline coop. Is this a straight shooter or is it more of a shooter rpg with character levels and increasing capabilities?
Thanks!
No, sadly, it is only online coop.

As for gameplay, it is a 3rd person action game. Think of GTA, but you're the cops, and you have amazing abilities. The leveling in the game happens by doing certain things. You have 5 main abilities; Agility, Strength, Shooting, Driving and Explosives. Kill enemies with a gun, and you get shooting skill. Run them over, or win a race, and you gain driving skill. And so on.

You gain agility by collecting the green Agility orbs which are scattered throughout the city at the tops of buildings and ledges and things. The more of those you collect, the higher your level gets, and the higher you can then jump. You can grab on to window ledges and things like that to climb up buildings to get to the rooftops. It is a very vertical game. Hunting down orbs gets quite addicting.

Here is a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwATuTa5azU

And here is a link to the Demo on the XBL Marketplace...

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/0dd00000-0000-4000-8000-00004d5307dc?cid=SLink

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone play Sacred 2 coop? I just ordered a used copy and hope that it's decent for split screen coop. Cooptimus seemed to give it a good grade.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Recently we discovered Things on Wheels, an arcade racing game. It's not a bad coop arcade racing game but IGN rated it "poor".

For comparison, I'm looking for any recommendations for a good 360 cart style racing game. I think my favorite all time kart racing game is Mario Karts for the N64. :)
Thanks!

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
For comparison, I'm looking for any recommendations for a good 360 cart style racing game. I think my favorite all time kart racing game is Mario Karts for the N64. :)
It will be hard for any cart racer to top MK64, because that game was excellent, but have you tried BLUR? It is from Bizarre Creations, the studio that made the Project Gotham series. Obviously, it doesn't LOOK like a cart racer, but deep down, it really is. It uses real, licensed cars, but as you race you are constantly grabbing power-ups and firing them at the other racers. There is all different types of power-ups, many that are similar to things you use in Mario Kart. There are what essentially amount to red shells, green shells, banana peels, mushrooms, etc. It is quite fun, and actually looks really nice as well, so that doesn't hurt.

There is a demo available on the marketplace. Give it a shot and see if that fits your needs. I played the demo a while back and had a good time with it.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/0ddf0001-0000-4000-8000-000041568864

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just to follow up on my last post, BLUR is the Amazon "Deal of the Day" today. A pretty good game for $30...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1263270402&pf_rd_i=468642

Thanks SIS! I'll check it out. :) I did discover Burnout Paradise which seems pretty awesome, although it uses real cars. Handling, although not realistic, IMO, is very stable, very playable, fun, and a rush! When I first started it up using the first car, I had an immediate flashback to Steve McQueen in Bullitt, driving a 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390 probably the best car chase ever filmed. He chased by a 1968 440 CID/375 bhp Dodge Charger. I'm getting chills...

Bullitt Chase at YouTube, 9 min of awesomeness. :D
Bullirt at Wiki.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.