Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Model number MK3233GSG. Spins at 5400 RPM with a capacity of 320 GB.

I'd love to see one of these in an iPod touch. I could take my entire Mac mini (actually more than two), music, videos/movies/TV shows, photos and tons of apps and still have plenty of room leftover.

That's not likely, so maybe the iPod classic will get one last hurrah before either being phased out or moved to flash memory. With a flash memory switch, I'd expect capacities to start at no less than 64 GB, with 128 being the top in that case, or, if it happens later than this half year, 128 GB and 256 GB. But the higher-capacity HDD would increase cost, and we won't find out before December.

What's your take?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
What's your take?

My take is that they won't go for it, because these drives will cost a lot.

I remember reading an article somewhere about a year ago that stated that Toshiba were disappointed that Apple didn't use their 250Gb model in an updated Classic. Thing is, with Apple's margins, is there a market for a 320Gb iPod that costs US$350-400 or more and can only play music and videos on a tiny screen? My hunch is no.

iPod Classic: bet we'll see it retired next year.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I wouldn't really mind seeing it retired; I'd prefer a last-gen plastic model anyways. IMO, they look cleaner (white is the best color for an iPod), although, I think the 1st gen nano in white looks the best of all iPod models, and the aluminum front one the current ones looks kinda matte for me.

I should get a white iPod classic and open it, then take the paint off of the inside to make a clear iPod.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Why not just install it yourself?

I Personally think the Classic will get a full face touchscreen next Sept.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I think they'll update the classic once more and then discontinue it 8 months later.

Oh wait thats what they did with the aluminum macbooks....

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
If Apple had kept the thicker case 6G iPod classic, 320 GB storage would have been possible. But since they decided to keep the thinner case 6G classic only, 160 GB will be the maximum storage Apple can offer now (since the thinner case only accommodates a single-platter hard drive).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.