Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
So I downloaded the new Facebook Desktop Notifications applet and it's great! It's just a Facebook icon in the menu bar that turns blue when I have any notifications. A little pop-up also comes up in the corner with the text of any comments. It's great and there isn't any actual "application" that needs to be running... it's just a menu icon and runs in the background.

Is there anything like this for Twitter? I know there's things like Twitterific and TweetDeck, but I don't want an actual desktop application.

Thanks!

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
Well, obviously it's a real application, but it doesn't show up in the Dock, doesn't need to be opened, and has no window to take up screen space. Forget the semantics.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
I use tweetie which has a icon in the menu bar which turns blue when there are new tweets, click that and it opens the window for tweetie, click it again and then it hides the window.

Doesn't do exactly what you want but I don't think that anything will.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
I use tweetie which has a icon in the menu bar which turns blue when there are new tweets, click that and it opens the window for tweetie, click it again and then it hides the window.

Doesn't do exactly what you want but I don't think that anything will.

That in combination with Growl should be what the OP was asking for.

Just checked, it runs in the dock, regardless. Bummer.

treedazzled

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Twit Menulet

I think Twit Menulet does exactly what the OP requests: it shows Twitter status updates in the menu bar, without showing itself in the dock. Twit Menulet somehow manages to support multiple accounts and Lists in that tiny package. I think it is quite nifty!

Here's a link: Twit Menulet Twitter for Mac

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
EXACTLY! Would love an app like this. In fact, desktop notifications is what makes me want an app of this nature as well. Facebook DN are great and I really wish Twitter had one that didn't require being docked and "open".

I know Google+ has the Google+ "tab" in the app store which is essentially the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.