Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefudesu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
The desktop icon for Mail shows I have unread mail. When I open mail, new messages appear to enter my Inbox. That is, Mail Activity shows a progress bar indicating 1, 2, 3 etc of 10 new messages are being brought into my Inbox. The unread mail tally increments but I cannot see any messages at all. Any help appreciated as this is my first Mac (iMac20) after 20 years of PCs.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
The desktop icon for Mail shows I have unread mail. When I open mail, new messages appear to enter my Inbox. That is, Mail Activity shows a progress bar indicating 1, 2, 3 etc of 10 new messages are being brought into my Inbox. The unread mail tally increments but I cannot see any messages at all. Any help appreciated as this is my first Mac (iMac20) after 20 years of PCs.

Chances are a spam rule is shuffling them off ito either a spam folder or another folder (or worse, deleting them :-(

Look in preferences >rules or preferences >junk mail and see if gives any clues

jefudesu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
My unread Mail count is rising but I can't see any messages.

Many thanks Tumbleweed666. The only Rule I have relates to Apple News.
I stumbled upon a Search in one of the menus which took me to the search box on the right hand side of my Inbox. Typing the 1st 2 characters of my email address brought up all my messages. I was able to delete most of the unread ones which decremented my unread message count but I still can't open the mailbox.

Is it feasible to delete my mail account and recreate it? Will I lose my address book if I do?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Sounds like your Mail database is corrupted. Alas, I don't remember exactly how to fix this. Sure, deleting and recreating the account works. Note that if you do this, no contact information will be lost, as it is stored separately.

zickslicky

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
Was a solution found for this problem? It's happening to me, with the latest version of Mail.

Thanks,

Tues

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
Was a solution found for this problem? It's happening to me, with the latest version of Mail.

Thanks,

I am also having this problem with one of my mailboxes.
My unread Mail count is at 2, but when I click on the mailbox nothing shows up. If I use the search bar in the up right of MacMail and look for the offending mailbox and select Inbox, no messages show up and message "No Message Selected" shows on the screen.

This mail box is an external configured account, but I have other accounts configured through the same email host using the same settings with out issue.

I have tried Mailbox> Rebuild, but nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.