Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reuven

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
Sydney OZ
(From "The Age Newspaper)

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/06/02/1086058887846.html?oneclick=true

Ah, the frailties of man. Here I am, in wedded bliss with my 15-inch PowerBook, roses in the garden and bluebirds in the thatch (please, do not ask about the bats), and along comes her little sister to tempt me.

Get thee behind me, siren. The temptress may flutter her eyelashes and sway her hips, but I am strong and I am faithful - at least I think so.

For the past week I have had as constant companion one of the new 12-inch PowerBooks and, although I am not about to change my view that the 15-inch machine is the best notebook I have ever used, this newcomer has powerful attractions.

It is the neatness of it that is so attractive. Among Wintel notebooks several, such as Sony's Vaio, are slim and pretty, but their compactness often means lack of optical drives, and few can match the little PowerBook's features and power.

Initially I thought that the smaller screen would cause problems, and there were occasions with Photoshop when I felt a little cramped, but were I not so accustomed to the 15-inch, I doubt I would have noticed it much. Having a full-sized keyboard in such a concise package helps too.

Of all the recently revamped PowerBooks, the 12-inch group has gained the most. As before, there are two models, one with a Combo (CD-RW/DVD-ROM) optical drive and the other with a SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW), but their G4 PowerPC processors are faster, from 1 GHz to 1.33 GHz.

Hard-drive capacity has been increased from 40 to 60GB, useful for movie makers. (Do you remember not so long ago when we thought 40MB was massive?)

Solid-state memory is still 256MB, which in my view is now marginal, but the bus speed has been raised from 133 to 167 MHz, and the SuperDrive now burns at 4x, double that of the previous model.

Better than all that, Airport Extreme (IEEE 802.11g), the local-area wireless connection, and Bluetooth, the personal wireless connection, come as part of the package - a saving of about $300.

The backlit keyboard that I enjoy on my 15-inch PowerBook is not available on the 12-inch models (they cause a lovely bit of green envy among the hoi-polloi of Wintel notebook users on overnight flights - perhaps they will come on the next 12-inch models), and I/O does not include FireWire 800 or Gigabit Ethernet, both of which are on the larger machines.

The nVidia GeForce FX Go5200 graphics card is also a bit slower than the model fitted in the bigger PowerBooks, and RAM tops out at 1.25GB, against 2GB in my 15-inch Book, but these are not serious disadvantages for most users.

Battery life seems good. I got more than three hours out of a single charge doing a fair amount of internet surfing using my Airport base station to connect to Optus cable and a couple of iPhoto sessions. From a full charge, I also watched Saving Private Ryan on DVD and still had quite a bit of puff left.

In terms of performance, such as Photoshop rendering, iMovie and GarageBand sessions and so forth, the 12-inch machine was probably a bit slower than my 15-inch machine with its 1.5 GHz processor; at least that is how some benchtests found on the internet show it. In practice there does not appear to be much in it.

It is also noticeable that these new PowerBooks run cooler than the old Titaniums. A TiBook could barbecue your thighs if you used it on your lap for too long, and I worried enough about the walnut veneer on my desk to buy a CoolPad (roadtools.com), but I have now retired it.

If you travel a lot or use your notebook often on one of those tummy-pinching flaps on lecture theatre chairs, the smaller footprint and lighter weight (a bit more than 2kg) of the 12-inch PowerBook will be advantageous.

If you run Microsoft Office:mac '04, you can even doze off and let the Mac record the lecture for your more conscious consideration later.

The iLife '04 suite (iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, GarageBand and, in the SuperDrive model, iDVD) is included, along with Mac OS X 10.3, a trial version of Filemaker Pro 7 (good stuff), Graphic Converter (also good) and other useful software.

In short, the new 12-inch PowerBooks have enough improvements - extra hard-drive capacity, faster processors, Airport and Bluetooth as standard and faster DVD burning in the top model, to justify upgrading.

Retail prices are $400 less than previous models. The Combo is now priced at $2599 and the SuperDrive at $2999.

MAC FILE

Let us lift a glass in a toast to Toast.

The reason for the celebration is that Roxio's Toast 6 will soon be able to burn double-layer DVDs, so that you will be able to record up to 8.5GB of data - almost twice the current limit of 4.7GB - on a single double-layer DVD+R disc.

That means more than three hours of MPEG-2 video or, using Dolby Digital compression, more than four hours of programming.

Unbounded vistas of Neighbours and Kath and Kim may float before your eyes.

Users of EyeTV, the digital TV recorder now available here for Macs, should soon be able to consign their VCRs to the scrap heap.

The upgrade will be available on the Roxio website in about a week and will be free to registered users of Toast and Toast with Jam.

Roxio says other benefits of the upgrade include the ability to create one-click copies of non-encrypted dual-layer DVD movies, squeezing more than 70 hours of music onto a DVD music album using Dolby sound.

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
PA
I hate to break a little bit of that bubble, but dual layer recording is only going to be a feature on dual layer drives. Sony currently has an internal one for sale for about 200, and LaCie has an external one coming out soon for about 250. Makes me happy that I didn't waste the extra 200 on the super drive in my brand new 12" PB. I never saw a great need for being able to burn a dvd on a plane or something anyway...

Hydra

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
Finland
Internal TEAC 8x Dual Layer DVD+R/RW is just 100€

And so far all dual layer drives are all + and Apple is using -...

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Plus, replacing the internal optical drive will void your warranty.

(BTW, I know small is beautiful in laptops, but there are plenty of x86 laptops with internal optical drives (including DVD burning) that are smaller and, more importantly, lighter. Apple needs to work on the weight of the 12"PB.)

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
I really don't see the need for SuperDrive built into a notebook. Currently, the Combo Drive burns CDs faster than the SuperDrive, and apparently you can get an external 8X dvd burning drive for only $200.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Small is beautiful - that includes post lengths! :p I didn't read the whole thread, but I love my 12" PB and indeed, it is beautiful.

JOD8FY

Calvinatir

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2003
LA
but seriously..use the 17" once..and you may be hooked on it as well! I sure got hooked on it just seing it!

aptmunich

macrumors member
May 29, 2004
What, do you all have short attention spans or something?

Someone takes the time to write a decent contribution to the forum, not leaving out any facts or topics of interest and all you guys do is complain it's too long...

I prefer to read an article with a little depth, as it is often the little details which make/break a product.

I mean can you really enjoy a laptop that fries your balls? No, so it's good he commented on that...

Btw. the previous poster is right about the dual layer dvd thing...you need a special drive to be able to do that.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well, small is good, and I don't see how anyone can drag around the bigger 'Books... I was used to drag a 14" Pismo everywhere, but after I replaced that with a 12" iBook I realise what portability is really about...

12" rules...! :D

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
The article is by Gary Barker, the 'Macman' from The Age (Melbourne, Australia)

aptmunich said:
What, do you all have short attention spans or something?

Someone takes the time to write a decent contribution to the forum, not leaving out any facts or topics of interest and all you guys do is complain it's too long...

I prefer to read an article with a little depth, as it is often the little details which make/break a product.

I mean can you really enjoy a laptop that fries your balls? No, so it's good he commented on that...

Btw. the previous poster is right about the dual layer dvd thing...you need a special drive to be able to do that.

Good to hear you enjoyed the post, but it's actually an article from our local newspaper, The Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/06/02/1086058887846.html

I agree with you though - I really enjoy Gary Barker's articles, the right mix of detailed, analytical and gushing :) - despite going for the 15" instead (which he has praised numerous times, so I feel slightly better lol ;))

Secondly - because it's an article / regular column, you have to understand that the bit about Toast's dual layer burning capability is a distinct news item from the 12" Powerbook review. In fact, I don't see any logical connection between them even in the format posted here. So no need to jump down his throat. But on that point, I also agree, if dual layer burning is anyone's thing (right now I can see the only particular advantage of it is the obvious ability to rip off commercial DVDs with little to no compression - big no no :eek: ), then getting an internal (for a desktop) or a firewire enclosure is the way to go. I don't think anyone will be putting them in notebooks anytime soon for a reasonable price.

furrina

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
superdrive questions

On the 15" pb, does the superdrive make the laptop heavier? Are there any drawbacks to having it other than an extra $200? I just got mine with superdrive as I do some video creation and figured I could quickly throw some files on dvd rather than have to travel with HDs...

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
furrina said:
On the 15" pb, does the superdrive make the laptop heavier? Are there any drawbacks to having it other than an extra $200? I just got mine with superdrive as I do some video creation and figured I could quickly throw some files on dvd rather than have to travel with HDs...

the one drawback I am aware of is that the superdrive burns CDs slower than the Combo Drive, which can be a problem if you like to burn CDs or if you think you will rarely burn DVDs. you picked the right thing for video creation though, so i wouldn't worry about it.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
While dual-layer is nice and all, please realize the price of actually buying/using the media:

http://www.americal.com/pd/VER94912.html

2 Pak, 1 lbs - $ 43.98 ($21.99000 ea)
5 Pak, 2 lbs - $ 99.75 ($19.95000 ea)
10 Pak, 3 lbs - $ 195.00 ($19.50000 ea)
50 Pak, 14 lbs - $ 944.50 ($18.89000 ea)

I spent a little under $30 for a 50-pack of 4X DVD-R's. Plus, I only spent $80 for my NEC 2500A (DVD+/-RW). By the time I actually use up all my media (a year or two's time), then maybe I would consider upgrading to the next level. But until then, I would wait it out a bit. A single 8.5GB, dual-layer costing $19+ just isn't a good deal yet :(

*Additionally...I would wait getting a dual-layer DVD drive in the first place. 2.4X is painfully slow at this point. I expect that maybe in a year's time, that should hit 4 or 8X, making the waiting time from ~40min, to a reasonable ~20min (which is 4X for standard 4.7GB DVD+/-R media).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.