Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I have about 50 *.mp3's on my hard drive that have the file names in all upper case. When looking at them in itunes it drives me nuts....Is there a way to convert the uppercase file name to lowercase? I have googled but can't find anything. I do not want to do it manually, that would take a long time =( thanks, I'm crossing my fingers..

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Go to Terminal:

cd /path/to/files

for FILE in `ls -A1 *.MP3`; do FILENAME=`echo ${FILE} | sed 's/ /\\ /g'`; echo mv ${FILENAME} `echo ${FILENAME} | tr [A-Z] [a-z]`; done

That will output the commands to rename the files. If it looks correct, simply change "echo mv" to "mv".

Note this is untested and off the top of my head.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
:mad: I got so happy because Name Mangler looks perfect.....until I realized it doesnt work with os/x 10.4.1 =( which I have.........and there is no way I'd attempt Terminal hehe.......grrrrrrrrrrr

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I use the Automater Rename Finder Items command all the time to make batch changes like this. There is a command you can use called Change Case that will do exactly what you are trying to do. Just to be safe you can set up Automater to make a backup copy of the files prior to making the change in case something goes wrong. If you would prefer you can just make your own back up copy of the files.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
That actually worked great but I realized that not only was the filename in uppercase but the ID3 tags were too.......so in itunes (which was bothering me) the song names and info are still in uppercase.....and I am guessing there is no possible way to change all of the ID3 tags to lowercase......I think im s**t out of luck =/

BriChi

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Any way to get the artists to be all caps also, I used automator to change the tracks titles to all caps in the ID3 tag but nothing lets me change the artist also. I can change the filename with no issue but I really want to change the mp3 tag to be all caps. Thx guys for any info you have

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
Go to Terminal:

cd /path/to/files

for FILE in `ls -A1 *.MP3`; do FILENAME=`echo ${FILE} | sed 's/ /\\ /g'`; echo mv ${FILENAME} `echo ${FILENAME} | tr [A-Z] [a-z]`; done

That will output the commands to rename the files. If it looks correct, simply change "echo mv" to "mv".

Note this is untested and off the top of my head.

What if the filenames have spaces?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.