Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I noticed on both my machines after installing 10.6.2 I had a bunch of duplicate fonts (looks like most were duplicates of Microsoft Office 2008 versions).

Anyway, just letting people know. I was having weird font issues in Firefox and had to basically clear my font cache, resolve duplicates and reboot to get the fonts working correctly again.

I know for a fact these fonts weren't duplicated prior to 10.6.2.

-Kevin

greenythebeast

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
I was curious what your firefox font problems were as i also seem to be having problems in firefox. Thanks.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I was curious what your firefox font problems were as i also seem to be having problems in firefox. Thanks.

Fonts just seemed to be a bit "off". I think it was because common web fonts such as Arial, Verdana, etc were showing up as duplicates.

The most obvious page was the Google News page (go to Google and click on News in the upper left). This page instead of Arial or Verdana was showing as a smaller version of what looked like Times New Roman. Firefox was showing it incorrectly, but Safari wasn't.

This is what lead me to even think to look at Font Book, and to eventually clear my font caches and reboot.

Hope this helps.

-Kevin

greenythebeast

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Was the font sort of like this?

2vs2dlc.png

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Was the font sort of like this?

2vs2dlc.png

Yes....very similar.

Have you looked in Font Book to see if you have duplicates?

Here's what I ended up doing. I followed this hint to clear ALL font caches:
http://www.macworld.com/article/139383/2009/03/fontcacheclear.html

1) Closed all apps
2) In terminal I ran this command: sudo atsutil databases -remove
(this removes all users font caches, give your password when it asks)

3) In terminal I ran these commands:
atsutil server -shutdown
atsutil server -ping

(this stops and starts the ATS server)

4) I opened Font Book and saw many duplicate fonts (shown with a yellow triangle). I selected (highlighted) ALL fonts and went to: Edit -> Resolve Duplicates

I then restarted the machine and everything was back to normal in Firefox.

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.