Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romeoch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Stanford, CA
Could somebody post any information/feedback if the trick below still works after upgrading to Apple TV 3.0. This is if you have your Apple TV on a 4:3 TV and in order to get a colored picture, you do:

* Plug your composite-yellow in the green “slot” (this will give you an image, but BW)
* head over to resolution and set it to 480i (not sure if this step is needed tho)
* now STAND on 480p and unplug the composite-yellow, plug an HDMI-DVI adapter
* press “ok” on the remote and count to 5
* unplug the HDMI-DVI adapter and replug the composite-yellow, when the image comes back, it comes back full color!

Thanks,!
Rd

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
...and/or the Patchstick TVComposite.kext fix ;-)

I've updated one Apple TV, don't have the guts to try the other...

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
i would try this right now but my HDMI to DVI adapter is in my camper which isn't at my house right now but i'll have it back tomorrow. if no one replies to this by tomorrow i will try and post my results

Nazi

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
:apple:TV composite color hack fails after upgrade to 3.0

* now STAND on 480p and unplug the composite-yellow, plug an HDMI-DVI adapter
* press “ok” on the remote and count to 5
* unplug the HDMI-DVI adapter and replug the composite-yellow, when the image comes back, it comes back full color!

The preceding method fails, and I've tried 4 times it hangs and requires a reboot each time. I have a great composite monitor I'm not ready to trash, not very green of apple to disable this hack, of course it is not very green not offer it from the beginning.

If I find a fix I will post it here.

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Wish there was a similar trick that worked with the component outputs.

I still haven't been able to get displayutil working with the atvusb-creator patchstick method, so I'm forced to script a Quicktime aspect ratio stretch for all my TV content...automated, but still a pain.

ben1969

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Not working here...

Has any solution been found for this? I hastily upgraded to 3.0 and now am stuck w B&W. Is it possible to revert back to the earlier, 2.x software?

romeoch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Stanford, CA
not able to get color back

Under 2.4 The Cheap Geek's trick worked (see link below). But now with 3.0 after selecting 480i the screen doesn't come back at all (black screen). I can hear the sound when using the remote but no screen (either black/white or color). So I have to unplug ATV.

Have others had success with 3.0 and a 4:3 TV?

http://www.thecheapgeek.org/2009/03/24/161/

ben1969

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Nope...

Tried the cheapgeek/hdmi trick multiple times (10+) to no avail. Never got my atv to display an amber light (never had to do this under 2.0 to get the trick to work).

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Tried the cheapgeek/hdmi trick multiple times (10+) to no avail. Never got my atv to display an amber light (never had to do this under 2.0 to get the trick to work).

I got it to work once outa about a half dozen tries. It seemed like a quick 2 second was the ticket. But then I found out my 3.0 hack w/XBMC was knocked out and couldn't get that running again. Gonna try re-patchsticking/hacking things tomorrow. I'm suspecting I need to set my XBMC settings to the 853x480 setting if I can and this will match up with the composite ATV setting.

And now that Nito is out for 3.0 I might try his composite kext hack first.

Dino1956

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
It Works! He's Right! Waiting for the Amber Light and a Quick Count to Five is the Secret, I believe. Thank you CheapGeek!

Dino1956

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
One Question: I did not Press + & Menu afterwards, so my ATV is still not on Widescreen. Is there a way to Change that without going through the entire Process all over again ?

tsolo

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
Apple Tv 3.0 colour works..

I think the trick is to unplug the HDMI cable less than 2 seconds after having pressed the Ok button. It worked for me (after several trials). I didn't see the amber light. It works perfectly, I got the colour on my old TV with 3.0! Thank you The Cheapgeek!

romeoch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Stanford, CA
got it to work

Thanks to TheCheapGeek I now also have colors on my 4:3 TV after the 3.0 upgrade. Yes, the key is to quickly switch the cables (approx. 2 seconds after confirming the 480p).

Thank you all for the help!

Dino1956

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
Every time the Power goes out in my home, I have to do this little trick. I need to get a Television from this Decade! :)

maurizioplll

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
The trick is the speed..!

The trick still works, but you need to be much faster than before the 3.0 upgrade. Less than 2 sec from the click to the HDMI removal and composite plug-in. Otherwise you'll get a dark blinking screen.

maurizioplll

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Hi, this is puzzling me. It was working with 3.0, but after updating to 3.0.1 I can't get it back to work anymore. Anyone has tried it with 3.0.1?
Thanks

RobN

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
London, UK
Hi, this is puzzling me. It was working with 3.0, but after updating to 3.0.1 I can't get it back to work anymore. Anyone has tried it with 3.0.1?
Thanks

Hi Maurizioplll

I've just upgraded to 3.01 and after a few attempts I found that the "quick" less than 2 seconds route worked fine and I now have colour back on the green composite output. So hopefully, should work for you.

Best,

Rob

maurizioplll

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Hi Maurizioplll

I've just upgraded to 3.01 and after a few attempts I found that the "quick" less than 2 seconds route worked fine and I now have colour back on the green composite output. So hopefully, should work for you.

Best,

Rob

Great news, thanks. One last thing: do you see the amber light when switching resolutions?

webbernet99

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Scrabbled Signal

I am wanting to use my ATV1 on an SDTV with composite and I have seen the trick, but I'm not even getting a black and white signal. The screen is black and white for the logo and then scrambles when it gets to the menu. Ideas? I also am not seeing a place for 480i. Only 480p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.