Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Hi. I've had a fair amount of success with installing Windows 7 but the one big problem is the brightness.
The keyboard's function keys don't work and I can't find an option to change it in the Control Panel. Has anyone else had any success?

The remote doesn't work as well, but I'll live with that for now. ;)

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm using 64-bit 7.

I think I'll have to switch to 32-bit. Does everything work under it?

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
It says that my iMac is not supported for 64-bit Windows so it won't allow me to run the Boot Camp installer.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'm using Win7 X64 with no problem in Bootcamp. I installed Win7, did the online updates and almost everything worked out of the box. I then put in the SL DVD and ran "setup.exe" and let it do it's thing. Everything loaded up just fine including the Bootcamp Control Panel and screen brightness adjustment seems to work fine from there.

I have a new 27" dual core and I can tell you two things to watch for. 1. using the SL disk drivers it loaded up Cirrus Logic drivers for the audio. It "worked" but everytime I booted it showed the audio as not installed. You could tell it to reload the drivers and then it worked fine until the next re-boot. I simply rolled back to the original high def Win7 drivers that were installed by default and they work flawlessly so watch for that.

2. Video drivers. Win7 installed some generic ATI drivers for my 4670 card so I downloaded the 9.10 drivers from ATI and tried to install those. No go. No Catalyst Control Panel and no drivers updated. It did however create an ATI directory on the C: drive which you're going to need. Go to this website:

http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php and download the tool.

Follow the Vista instructions further down on the main page and then the ATI drivers will install. You don't need to disable UAC though as they recommend in the Vista instructions as UAC in Win7 is a lot smarter now. Once it modified my drivers in the ATI directory on the C: drive I ran "setup" from that directory and Voila! Working 9.10 drivers including Catalyst and it was all super simple and fully automatic with Modtool. Very slick.

I guess the onboard 4670 is a mobile version of the GPU so that's why Modtool works on it. Anyhoo, hope that helps and good luck! Cheers!

James

P.S. Please note: These instructions are for the new fall 2009 dual core iMac's so if you're using anything else, then this may not apply or work for you.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm using Win7 X64 with no problem in Bootcamp. I installed Win7, did the online updates and almost everything worked out of the box. I then put in the SL DVD and ran "setup.exe" and let it do it's thing. Everything loaded up just fine including the Bootcamp Control Panel and screen brightness adjustment seems to work fine from there.

I have a new 27" dual core and I can tell you two things to watch for. 1. using the SL disk drivers it loaded up Cirrus Logic drivers for the audio. It "worked" but everytime I booted it showed the audio as not installed. You could tell it to reload the drivers and then it worked fine until the next re-boot. I simply rolled back to the original high def Win7 drivers that were installed by default and they work flawlessly so watch for that.

2. Video drivers. Win7 installed some generic ATI drivers for my 4670 card so I downloaded the 9.10 drivers from ATI and tried to install those. No go. No Catalyst Control Panel and no drivers updated. It did however create an ATI directory on the C: drive which you're going to need. Go to this website:

http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php and download the tool.

Follow the Vista instructions further down on the main page and then the ATI drivers will install. You don't need to disable UAC though as they recommend in the Vista instructions as UAC in Win7 is a lot smarter now. Once it modified my drivers in the ATI directory on the C: drive I ran "setup" from that directory and Voila! Working 9.10 drivers including Catalyst and it was all super simple and fully automatic with Modtool. Very slick.

I guess the onboard 4670 is a mobile version of the GPU so that's why Modtool works on it. Anyhoo, hope that helps and good luck! Cheers!

James

P.S. Please note: These instructions are for the new fall 2009 dual core iMac's so if you're using anything else, then this may not apply or work for you.

Just curious: What's your WEI score? Here's mine:
captured.jpg

The reason you have to do extra things to the GPU drivers is that the GPUs that come in Macs have different device IDs than the regular PC equivalant. So, you have to modify the drivers to enable installation on these new device IDs. Had to do it for my 9600M GT to install the latest ones.

direzze

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
I change the brightness in Windows 7 by clicking the battery icon in the tray, and then clicking "adjust display brightness"

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Which model iMac is this, please?
First generation of Alu iMacs (2007), 24".

Are you using the Leopard DVD or the Snow Leopard DVD? I used the Snow Leopard one and it worked fine...
It's the Snow Leopard disc.
I tried running setup.exe and it says that "x64" is not supported for this model.
I tried installing the different drivers but most didn't work. Bluetooth and sound were the only two that did.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
It's the Snow Leopard disc.
I tried running setup.exe and it says that "x64" is not supported for this model.

Same here, says x64 Windows not supported on this machine. I got almost everything to work. iSight isn't working and I have no idea how to control screen brightness; feels like it's on full blast right now.

I see the driver sub-folder in the Bootcamp folder on the Snow Leopard disk; does anyone know if the screen brightness control driver is somewhere there and what it's called?

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
That's really odd... I'm running Windows 7 Professional x64. All I did was put in my Snow Leopard DVD, and the autorun didn't come up, so I double-clicked on the DVD drive in Computer and the installer came up, and it began installing the proper stuff.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Another thing I'm noticing is that when I restart into Windows after using OSX, the clock in Windows is 7 hours ahead. I set it correctly (with online sync) and it's fine until I use OSX and it does the same thing all over again. It's annoying.

EDIT: I just found this which makes sense. I'm at a location that's UTC-7. The registry fix in that post works great.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Found the fix to get BC 3 installed in 7 x64 from the SL disk, here. Thanks velocityg4 and webgoat . :)

vincimac

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
use NVIDIA control panel

go to NVIDIA control panel by right clicking on the desktop
go to display->adjust desktop color settings
in the section 2-> adjust the brightness to +20%

that works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.