Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
No idea how or why this is happening, but lately a couple of my important playlists aren't appearing in the Music tab to be synced when I plug in my iPhone. Both are smart playlists and are just non existent to be checked off (I manually manage music). Has anyone experienced this? What's the deal?

myyours

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
I've been experiencing the same thing with my iPod. For a while, I thought I had it figured it. It seemed like if a playlist had a criteria that referenced a playlist that wasn't also being synced to the iPod (i.e. "Playlist is not 'Exclusion'"), then the new one wouldn't be available to be synced either. Once I adjusted the playlists to not have that criteria, my playlists showed up fine. But now I'm having the same problem with some new playlists, and I can't explain why.

Anybody else?

hizzle

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
Thanks a lot for this post. I couldnt figure it out until I removed some exclusions. Not sure why certain rules would foobar the system, but whatever. Happy now!

BrassJam

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
I have found that if you select "New Smart Playlist" and create a playlist from scratch then it seems to sync ok.

I have about 40 smart playlists - most of these were created by the "Duplicate" option as they are the same principle (highest rated songs by certain artist) - just different per artist.

These "duplicated" playlists will NOT sync or even appear as selectable in the iPod sync window.

Ooooooooooof!!!!!

br10ta10

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2010
No luck here. I have a playlist called iPod that contains all the music I want on my iPod. I have a few lists built where "Playlist = iPod" that have some BPM restrictions (great for doing workouts of a certain rhythm.) But these don't work, even if I create them from scratch. They just don't show up in the list. :(

myyours

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
I've managed to solve the problem on my end. Take a look at your playlists and see if there's any criteria that could be seen as overlapping.

For instance..."Media Kind is Music" and "Media Kind is not Podcast"

Since you've already set "Media Kind is Music," you don't need to tell it to also exclude Podcasts or Audiobooks or Music videos, etc.

For some reason, iTunes now sees this as a contradiction and won't allow you to sync this to your iPhone/iPod without removing one of them.

It doesn't make sense logically, but it works with iTunes logic. So check it out and see if you have overlapping criteria like that.

br10ta10

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2010
But these don't work, even if I create them from scratch.
I finally got it to work. The problem was that I needed to start the original playlist that I was basing my smart playlist off of from scratch, and not just starting the smart list from scratch. I wonder if something was corrupt in that regular playlist that made things not work.

ACass01

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
I found the easiest way to deal with the problem was to select the Playlist and drag it up to the Device (in this case myIPOD). Of course - first my iPOD would have to be connected to the PC and iTunes open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.