Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
You are being way too critical. Would you have liked to see a ton more Macs in there to consume more energy? The reason the store is so large is that even the 5th Ave. store is incredibly crowded as it is. Who else would you have liked to see buy the this expensive piece of property during a recession? They weren't going to split the property into two places lol. With just the bare essentials Apple IS being more green and more efficient. That is the point of minimalism. BTW you also fail to mention the 10,000 added jobs it brings to the store and taxes that are collected by NY state with all the cash Apple makes there.

This is a company that grosses more per sq. than any other company in the world. Trust me, they are putting that property to good use.

this one store will lower their Gross Profit per CUBIC foot by 50% all on its own!

:)

Also, what are you talking about 10,000 jobs? Like 100 people at the most will work at this store.

Anything lit up enough to be seen from "blocks away" in NYC at night is not efficient no matter what its made of or what sort of things they do to offset resource usage...I guarantee they will leave the lights on 24/7, too...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What have you done as an individual to make your life green? Don't accept plastic bags when you shop? Bring your own cloth bags? Do you recycle your trash? Have fluorescent bulbs through your house? Turn off all lights at night? Shut down your computer when not in use? Traded in your huge SUV for a fuel efficient car? Sold your car and take public transportation or ride your bike to work? Do your laundry during off peak electric hours?

Just a few questions to see what your doing in your life to be greener!

Yes to all those, and I'm sure most people do (well most around my neck of the woods do anyways).

Well I don't drive, but everyone in my family has a car with high MPG. I use public transport or walk, but I work mostly from home and only travel 1 day a week. For bonus points we also grow our own food or buy from the local farm, turn off computers when not in the house and underclock them when doing light work and internet browsing.
So what... you don't turn off all the lights when you go to bed? What's the point in that?
(going off all the replies to this guy I think we can assume he won't be coming back :eek:)

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
this one store will lower their Gross Profit per CUBIC foot by 50% all on its own!

:)

Also, what are you talking about 10,000 jobs? Like 100 people at the most will work at this store.

Anything lit up enough to be seen from "blocks away" in NYC at night is not efficient no matter what its made of or what sort of things they do to offset resource usage...I guarantee they will leave the lights on 24/7, too...

Lol, my bad on 10,000. 220 will work there but 10,000 applied. But where do you get the idea that it will reduce profits by 50%. The NY stores are Apple's most profitable stores. There are two schools located nearby in high spending area.

BTW how can you exactly say how much electricity it would take to light the logo? Would it be more than filling up three levels with somany Macs you can hardly move? I'm sure they are not using any more power than any other store in Times Square that is lit 24/7 and may not be open.

WoFat

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
Just One More Boob.... Riiiiiiiiight Theeeeeere!

Amusing to read all the unenlightened commenting about waste of space / more floors needed / not 'green' enough [insert cough, hack, spit here] / waste of money & on & on the morons moan.

These type wouldn't be happy with a leggy Italian super model. They'd want to attach another boob or two, ignorant to the understanding that as she stands is what made her a knockout to begin with.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
It looks great but what a waste of ceiling space!

Why didn't they put an Apple playground for the kids upstairs with a ton of 21.5 Macs with kids games on it, like they have in some of the Apple stores so they can keep busy while their parents are busy downstairs?

Or perhaps even a kids space and some classrooms up for teaching newbies how to use a Mac?

Bonsai1214

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Penfield, NY
i've always wanted to throw something at those windows... that thing is HUGE. and yeah, cold new york winters are going to be fun for that store.

arjaosx

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
New Zealand
Again, the AC loads for this building in summer will be tremendous. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple were willing to take loses on it's two glass box Manhattan stores just for tourist display. Circulating air that cools easily along the glass envelop will only increase the energy required to heat. The solution here would be to shade the building in summer from the outside, and increase it's insulation in winter. Neither solution is being used by minimalist Apple. They're just another company riding the eco-bandwagon to drum up sales and make their own rules.

Yeah and we suppose that the architects and engineers that this built this haven't got a brain to have never thought about that.

Yeah that must be it!

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Do some investigation

Talk about missing the big picture. Take a read at

http://www.apple.com/environment

Guess what? Facilities constitute only 3% of Apple’s lifecycle environmental impact, of which the Apple Store are but a fraction

Product use by consumers constitutes 53% of the environmental impact. Apple positively does 20X more by making sure that MacBook runs on just 15 watts at full power and almost zero when it sleeps than by making “green” buildings

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Lol, my bad on 10,000. 220 will work there but 10,000 applied. But where do you get the idea that it will reduce profits by 50%. The NY stores are Apple's most profitable stores. There are two schools located nearby in high spending area.

BTW how can you exactly say how much electricity it would take to light the logo? Would it be more than filling up three levels with somany Macs you can hardly move? I'm sure they are not using any more power than any other store in Times Square that is lit 24/7 and may not be open.

I am guessing the logo is LED lit and would not cost much. The company I work for recently renovated their company name at the top of the building to be LED and it saved over $500,000 a year just from switching to LED.....and LEDs last longer.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
since I started stirring this pot, I think it's only fair that I say I actually like the design of this store. I just think it probably costs a good bit to heat and cool a space that large with that much transparent surface area. My concern wasn't so much an environmental one as it was a "gotta pay the bills on it" kind of knee jerk.

Overall, I think Apple's environmental plan is a good one, and keeps in mind not only the experience their computers give to their customers, but the experience their products have on the world around them.

For all I know, this could be the most efficient building in New York City.

plumpan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
there are no heating or cooling systems on the top level. this is the temple of apple. the ritualistic endurance of the elements is part of the experience. true believers are allowed passage down below, where they will be saved (by paying for purchases :D).

anyways, awesome building. look forward to more iconic stores opening up - especially one right here, near 1 Infinite Loop. the Company Store itself is probably the most humble of all stores.

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
I'll bet the building materials used were all made using sweat-shop labor in China, just like all of Apple's products are.

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
since I started stirring this pot, I think it's only fair that I say I actually like the design of this store. I just think it probably costs a good bit to heat and cool a space that large with that much transparent surface area. My concern wasn't so much an environmental one as it was a "gotta pay the bills on it" kind of knee jerk.
You're joking, right? They make $ tens $ of $ millions $ annually from a retail store like this and your first and most immediate concern was their electric bill? :rolleyes: You realize how stupid that sounds, right?

MM2270

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
New York
Wow

I love most of Apple's retail stores, but I just dunno about this one. Why use something the size of a 3 level theater and just place some tables way at the bottom?? Looks too darn big and... well, cold and sterile I guess. That's an agoraphobia's nightmare.

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Was at the store today. Loudest apple store I have ever been too. That ceiling just bounces noise off of it!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.