Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sananda

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 24, 2007
Am I right in thinking that Adobe have tested each camera they support in Camera Raw and the default adjustments are particular to each camera?

And, if that is the case, is it also the case that converting a file from a supported camera into a DNG file with DNG Converter will result in that DNG file having the same particular adjustments being applied in Camera Raw?

Thanks.

sananda

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 24, 2007
Thanks for your help.

I think I've found the answer to my first question. It seems that Camera Raw uses two camera profiles for every camera model it supports to process raw images. The profiles are produced by photographing a colour target under different white-balanced lighting conditions. When you set a white balance, Camera Raw uses the profiles for your camera to extrapolate colour information.

It also seems that DNG Converter uses camera specific profiles. But I don't understand what happens when you open a DNG Converter produced file (from a camera not supported in previous versions of Camera Raw) in an old version of Camera Raw. Is the camera specific profile being used to extrapolate colour information?

Anybody know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.