Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

110945-itunes_preview_listing_500.jpg

Macworld reports that Apple has quietly rolled out "iTunes Preview", a Web-based listing of iTunes Store content that allows users to browse the store's offerings without the need for an iTunes installed on their devices. While iTunes is still required for listening to song samples and purchasing content, the move to Web-based listings provides a convenient means for users to share links to iTunes content with others without depending on iTunes for viewing purposes.
Apple has quietly launched iTunes Preview, a feature that shows what music is available on iTunes from the convenience of your Web browser. Yes, even Internet Explorer 6. iTunes Preview lets anyone browse through the entire iTunes catalog’s worth of music, info, and user reviews for any region.
The report notes that the feature is currently available only for music content, and it is unclear if or when it will be extended to additional iTunes Store offerings.

Apple is currently offering access to the iTunes Preview in several locations on its iTunes pages, including a feature near the bottom of its "What's On" page and through its "iTunes Charts" page. Links copied directly from the iTunes Store will also reportedly generate corresponding iTunes Preview pages on systems where iTunes is not installed.

110946-itunes_preview_pane_500.jpg

Article Link: Apple Deploys Web-Based 'iTunes Preview' Content

windels

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2008
Belgium
looks very nice. hopefully after a wile they will be able to do more and more trough the web interface. and maybe shrink Itunes a little?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This is interesting and an unexpected move on Apple's part. However, this is largely a good thing for Apple, as it expands accessibility - regardless of whether iTunes is installed or not. I like this. :)

cogitodexter

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Naaaaaaarfolk, England
I'd much rather be able to bookmark things in iTunes itself - many's the time I've listened to something and decided to buy it later only to totally forget the name of the thing I listened to and never get round to finding it again.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Its nice, though on my mac it still opened iTunes anyways to that page.

Also, I still cant figure out the appeal of Owl City. Its been #1 at the music store for a week or two now...

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
It's a nice start.

I'd still like to see this become a first class citizen: an entirely browsable store with content that can be previewed and purchased straight from the browser. The purchasing is slightly less convenient as other web stores, due to the fact that iTunes is the hub between content and devices, but it'd still be nice regardless. Especially for those who don't happen to use an iPod/iPhone, but whose player can still play m4a content.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
It's a nice start.

I'd still like to see this become a first class citizen: an entirely browsable store with content that can be previewed and purchased straight from the browser. The purchasing is slightly less convenient as other web stores, due to the fact that iTunes is the hub between content and devices, but it'd still be nice regardless. Especially for those who don't happen to use an iPod/iPhone, but whose player can still play m4a content.

I don't see that happening. How then, will iTunes manage your content if you're able to control the location of the file saved?

Also, just curious, what other devices do play m4a content?

CommodityFetish

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Syracuse, NY
A response to Google's new enhanced music search

This is no doubt a response to Google's new music search features. See this post on the Google Blog from October 28, 2009:
Google: "Making Search More Musical

If people start using Google's search engine to find audio content (as Google hopes they will), then Apple wants iTunes to be in the search results too.

;)

AgingGeek

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
I'd much rather be able to bookmark things in iTunes itself - many's the time I've listened to something and decided to buy it later only to totally forget the name of the thing I listened to and never get round to finding it again.

Create a playlist, then drag the songs you want to that playlist, it will maintain a link to the store for you.

i keep several of these around with names like "Xmas_wishlist".

Or you could just use the now standard iTunes wishlist.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
I don't see that happening. How then, will iTunes manage your content if you're able to control the location of the file saved?

The point is for those who want to access iTunes' large library, which may have titles that are not accessible elsewhere. The entire point is shifting focus from the application/device to the content.

Of course, I didn't say replace the application's built-in store browser; I simply said augment the current store to also accommodate web browsers. There are people who loathe iTunes and many have justifiable reasons. To require an almost 80-90 megabyte download simply to access a store seems to be slightly ridiculous.

Likewise, whether or not it'll actually happen, yes, I'm quite confident that you're right. Apple choose to focus on the experience, and until that fails, I don't see it changing much. Thus why I said, "I'd like to see..."

Also, just curious, what other devices do play m4a content?

Zune? Zen? PSP? Pre? Droid?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
On my secondary machine, I really like this. On my main machine, I just want iTunes links to go to iTunes without some other window I have to click in and then close.

Solution: I’d like them to have a button and a cookie that let you choose the old direct method if you prefer, on a machine-by-machine basis.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
I actually ran across this last night by accident after clicking on my iTunes link on my website promoting my album. It is neat discovering these little things prior to them being released. I thought something looked a bit weird at first because it usually just opened up iTunes on my computer, so the preview is pretty cool...I like it.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-13 at 12.00.10 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-11-13 at 12.00.10 PM.png
    334.3 KB · Views: 261

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I saw this happening last week (maybe even 1-2 weeks ago) when testing if my bands iTunes link was working. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that I should probably post about it.

Chevere

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
Bummer

So I was thinking this great cause I can not load iTunes on my work computer. But guess what they also block the iTunes URL. Great idea though.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
You can see what's available but you can't purchase it? I guess I miss the point.

if this means fewer, incredibly annoying phobos links in blogs etc then it'll be worth it. I hate clicking on a link expecting to be taken to another web page to find more information, and it launches damn itunes all the time.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
if this means fewer, incredibly annoying phobos links in blogs etc then it'll be worth it. I hate clicking on a link expecting to be taken to another web page to find more information, and it launches damn itunes all the time.

Umm...did you happen to notice that literally everything you click on this iTunes web page removes you from the browser and opens itunes?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Well like Rocketman said, hopefully there's an immediate option to download iTunes. Otherwise it's too complicated for most people.

Yea, as long as there are no intermediary steps and Apple can make it as seamless as possible.

iTunes needs to be cloud-based.

Or do that too :D

The point is for those who want to access iTunes' large library, which may have titles that are not accessible elsewhere. The entire point is shifting focus from the application/device to the content.

Of course, I didn't say replace the application's built-in store browser; I simply said augment the current store to also accommodate web browsers. There are people who loathe iTunes and many have justifiable reasons. To require an almost 80-90 megabyte download simply to access a store seems to be slightly ridiculous.

Likewise, whether or not it'll actually happen, yes, I'm quite confident that you're right. Apple choose to focus on the experience, and until that fails, I don't see it changing much. Thus why I said, "I'd like to see..."

Damn, is iTunes really that large? I never paid attention when downloading :eek:

Maybe in the immediate future, iTunes will persevere as the app that it is today, but you have a point, about bringing the store to the masses, and theres no way better to do that than making it web based. So I guess we can only just wait and see.

Zune? Zen? PSP? Pre? Droid?

Ha, sorry I did not know. But I had always thought Zune, of all devices, being MS, would NOT support AAC files. Cool though.

That wasn't too difficult, was it ? :D

Good move by Apple. :apple:

Yea, I think so too. It definitely gives Apple another means to market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.