Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
We could use a boost in our folding@home output.

Many of you have contributed at one time, but have gone inactive because of the demands on your machines. Please consider adding at least one of your machines to do one work unit a month each.

We could use more regular folders, of course, but this would be an extra boost to shore up the team. I know that many of you are happy to devote time to MacRumors and would probably feel that this is not the huge drain that doing folding@home regularly causes.

To lessen the frustration factor--"When is this !@#$ thing gonna finish?"--it would probably be best to ask this of people with 700 MHz or faster machines.

Please consider helping. We need you.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
bousozoku said:
Please consider helping. We need you.

I'd like to do it. Can you answer some questions?

1. How do I configure my cable modem & AE basestation to allow for firewall-passthru to occur (if I need to do anything).

2. How do I join Macrumors folding team?

3. Do I need to download the screensaver software in addition to the graphical user interface? Or JUST the screensaver software?

Edit: I found the website but it didn't seem to answer the above questions. Any help appreciated!

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
I guarantee if we could get on the front page once a month we could get a surge of points (10000 per day more), and than a constant 5000 ppd. Has anyone talked to arn about this?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
keysersoze said:
I'd like to do it. Can you answer some questions?

1. How do I configure my cable modem & AE basestation to allow for firewall-passthru to occur (if I need to do anything).

2. How do I join Macrumors folding team?

3. Do I need to download the screensaver software in addition to the graphical user interface? Or JUST the screensaver software?

Edit: I found the website but it didn't seem to answer the above questions. Any help appreciated!

Thanks for your participation!

1) You only need to have ports 80 and 8080 available.

2) In the setup, it will ask for a team number, please enter 3446.

3) Please only use the graphical user interface version. The screensaver version makes little headway.

You should also look at the FAQ thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/21908/

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2004
help...

i have a 1.2 ghz pentium m... i was wondering... what is the folding stuff and how do i start, and how do i keep track of how much i have folded... please help me out here... i would like to help... (i also have a P4 1.3 ghz and a P4 1.6 ghz)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Soc7777777 said:
i have a 1.2 ghz pentium m... i was wondering... what is the folding stuff and how do i start, and how do i keep track of how much i have folded... please help me out here... i would like to help... (i also have a P4 1.3 ghz and a P4 1.6 ghz)

Please take a look at the FAQ thread already linked in a previous post.

However, the folding@home project has to do with determining why proteins mis-fold and cause diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. You run a client application on your machine and when it connects, it retrieves a work unit to be processed on your machine and uploaded when finished.

Starting the process is a matter of going to the Stanford Univ. folding@home website--there's a link in the FAQ thread--and downloading the appropriate client application. When you start it the first time, it will ask for a name and a team number at minimum. You can change these later, if needed. It will then connect with a server, retrieve a work unit and a core (a plug-in basically) to process it.

Keeping track of it can also be done from the folding@home website, which keeps simple statistics on each name, as well as teams.

Your participation is welcome.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Don't panic said:
the best way would be to use the console version, it's less intrusive and gets more work done. The eye candy gets old very quickly anyway.
Are you on a mac or a PC?

I'm on a PB G4 @ 1.33. I should investigate this console version... do you have any info to offer on it? Less obtrusive would definitely be better-- I appreciate that input.

Bousozoku- How do I open ports? Sorry I'm a novice at that sort of thing. I think I can figure the rest out... it's my fun task for late this evening.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
keysersoze said:
I'm on a PB G4 @ 1.33. I should investigate this console version... do you have any info to offer on it? Less obtrusive would definitely be better-- I appreciate that input.

Bousozoku- How do I open ports? Sorry I'm a novice at that sort of thing. I think I can figure the rest out... it's my fun task for late this evening.

Those ports should be open since you're able to use the web browser. :)

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
bousozoku said:
Those ports should be open since you're able to use the web browser. :)

Oh. hehe. :eek:

I'll get it up and running tonight. Thanks for the help (and patience!)

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
keysersoze said:

maybe some of the illuminati can explain this better (and/or correct my mistakes), or you could give a look at the FAQ (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/21908/), but tasically, it doesn't use a graphical interface, instead it runs in the background and is lauched and controlled from the terminal, within the unix part of macOSX.
The progress is monitored with text message from the terminal or in text files that are saved in the F@H folder.

There are multiple way to obtain this, depending on how familiar you are with terminal usage

- The client can be downloaded directly from the stanford's website (http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/download.html). It's the last option, at the bottom of the page. during installation it will ask you for a username and a team number. macrumors is team 3446.

- you can use mc68k's scripts(http://calnet.sdsu.edu/mc68k/). when you run the scripts, they will download the client and start the setup. You still have to input username and team. One (big to me) advantage is that the application truly runs in background, and there is nothing that shows its going, so you won't shut it off by mistake (i guess this could also be a disadvantage, because you tend to forget it's running. It can be configured so that it re-start with the computer. Of course, you can still control it with terminal.

- you can use a more userfriendly installer/manager called InCrease (http://calxalot.homeip.net/downloads/Versions/InCrease/Current/InCrease.dmg), which has a nice GUI to manage the folding. Its defaults to team 1971, so make sure that you change to team 3446 if you want to fold with us.

As far as the ports, I don't know, but my guess is that unless you have some exotic set up you shouldn't worry too much. it will work with the default settings

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Wow, thanks for all the info! I will definitely go with the console version... I have a <little> experience with Terminal so I should be able to set it up OK, but what if you want to say, stop folding? Or how do you "upload" your results? What happens to your protein if your computer freezes and needs a restart? I bet all these questions are probably answered in a forum somewhere, so don't worry about answering them! I will futz around and try to get more knowledgable so I don't start asking redundant questions. It seems like this is a very well-thought out program with minimal user-hassles...

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Hi Folders,

Well, I am up and running! I used the console method (thanks Don't Panic). It seems to be working well. Quick question... how do I check my progress via terminal? This is what I have read from the FAQ:

"In order to see what's going on with the console version, you can check this file in your F@H directory:
work/logfile_0x.txt - x will be some number from 0-9 that matches the number in all the files named "wudata_0x.*".

Beginning with version 3.25 of F@H, Mac unitinfo.txt files are updated accurately. You can open the file directly from your F@H directory, or view it through your MyFolding.html page, also located in your F@H directory."

Unfortunately I don't understand how to access my F@H directory (what's written above isn't explicit enough for me :confused: ). If anyone cares to walk a layman through it, please help me! Thanks!

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C
What's in it for the MacRumors team?

I searched around in some of the older posts; forgive me if the question's already been answered. That said, I understand the value of the Folding@Home project. But what's in it for the MacRumors team? Is it bragging rights, or does Stanford pay for the WU time, or what?

My trusty ol' (and I stress 'OL) Pentium 233 would be happy to do service 24-7 (or when it's not crashed out. :mad: )

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
keysersoze said:
Hi Folders,

Well, I am up and running! I used the console method (thanks Don't Panic). It seems to be working well. Quick question... how do I check my progress via terminal? This is what I have read from the FAQ:

"In order to see what's going on with the console version, you can check this file in your F@H directory:
work/logfile_0x.txt - x will be some number from 0-9 that matches the number in all the files named "wudata_0x.*".

Beginning with version 3.25 of F@H, Mac unitinfo.txt files are updated accurately. You can open the file directly from your F@H directory, or view it through your MyFolding.html page, also located in your F@H directory."

Unfortunately I don't understand how to access my F@H directory (what's written above isn't explicit enough for me :confused: ). If anyone cares to walk a layman through it, please help me! Thanks!

Since you mentioned that you're on a PowerBook, your folders are under your home folder in /Library/folding@home. You may merely want to open unitinfo.txt with TextEdit to view it. Also, my own website link will lead u to a graphical monitor meant for the console version, which can give you estimates of the time to finish. Other than that, you can use everything that's supplied with mc68k's scripts--some information from the logfile will be displayed.

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
superninjagoat said:
I searched around in some of the older posts; forgive me if the question's already been answered. That said, I understand the value of the Folding@Home project. But what's in it for the MacRumors team? Is it bragging rights, or does Stanford pay for the WU time, or what?

My trusty ol' (and I stress 'OL) Pentium 233 would be happy to do service 24-7 (or when it's not crashed out. :mad: )

That's it. Just bragging rights. No pay. And the knowledge that you are doing a good thing. :)

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
bousozoku said:
Since you mentioned that you're on a PowerBook, your folders are under your home folder in /Library/folding@home.....

Thanks Bousozoku! That was a big help-- a whole wealth of knowledge in that folder! I, for some reason, thought all of the info had to be accessed through the terminal, so that's why I was a bit confused. I am off to check out your website. Right now my work unit is 1% done :)

EDIT: I just got your javascript to work-- nice job. Still at 1% :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Alright... I had F@H installed on my iBook G4 800 but... I killed it 'cause it makes the fan stay on all the time. But! I'm going to install it on my P3 800 'cause I got a new power supply on Friday and it makes the whole machine quiet... and... by Tuesday it's getting replaced with a P4 2.4 and providing that doesn't make too much racket it can stay on 24-7 for all I care. But my iBook ain't folding only because of the fan "issue".

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I have a PB 12" rev. B that runs in the 120 to 130 f degree range. I have been going into sleep mode when not using the system because I have been worried about heat issues and the longevity of my PB. Otherwise I might consider running overnight if that would help.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
KingSleaze said:
Even under a new name? We've gained about 5,000 points on the team ahead of us today.

Our production has been around 30/33K since after the JT affair, with a constant gain on sudian media.
I had posted the following on another thread a couple of days ago. It's still moreless correct (i know it's not kosher to quote oneself, but i'm lazy).
right now we are producing around 32K/day, which is not too bad.
We are losing ground to Silent PCReview (42K-30 days overtake) and p2p community(65K-90days), but we are holding our grounds on everybody else in the immediate proximity, and we are actually gaining on 3 teams in front, which are within reach (sudian media, 26K-7days; ABX zone, 29K-400days; Xtreme res, 17K-100days).
the eoc stats are not showing this because they consider the negative dip when calculating the average. Give them a week and we'll have more accurate overtake lists.

as far as I can see from the stat pages, there are a few very good new producers that joined the team recently (kbonnel, RGuising, boldimpact, razzthefrog, spinline and others: good job guys), but no monster farm has been added.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.