Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WallpaperPerson

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Hey guys, I have a question. On their website, did apple let you change the PowerPC G5 to a Intel Core 2 Duo? Why am I asking? Well, I own a iMac G5 that I got from a friend(after he used to have it) that has a Intel Core 2 Duo in it. He bought online when he first got it in 2005 or 2006. Did they have a option online to change the processor to a Intel?

Thanks,
WallpaperPerson

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
He may have gotten a free (but silent) upgrade from Apple if he bought just when the new ones were announced. C2D iMacs came out in Sept 2006. Just to clarify, they could have shipped him the new one rather than the G5 he thought he was purchasing.

WallpaperPerson

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
He may have gotten a free upgrade from Apple if he bought just when the new ones were announced. C2D iMacs came out in Sept 2006.
This one does not have Leopard or a black outline around the screen. It's a iMac G5. I am glad it does and want to know if it had a option online.

No, it's just a White iMac with an intel processor.
It has Tiger.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Production of the white plastic Intel iMac lasted some 18 months after its introduction in January 2006. So, it’s not like it was a rare or short-lived form factor.

300D

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2009
Tulsa
You have an Intel iMac. There is no physically possible way to change from a G5 to an Intel processor.

RexTraverse

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
You have an Intel iMac. There is no physically possible way to change from a G5 to an Intel processor.

Well... if you gutted the G5 iMac and then replaced it with the Intel iMac components, you might. Dimensionally, the Rev.C iSight iMac G5 and the Intel iMacs are pretty similar, although I don't think the rear ports or SuperDrive would line up.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
it is possible ,just look on ebay
there are always a couple iMac G5
with intel processor for sale :D

i even found there the odd iMac G5 running snow leopard :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.