Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Ok so I have an iphone 3gs and I was wondering if there was any way to see it as a hard drive and retrieve files and video from my iphone when hooked up to my mac?

Any apps or jailbroken solutions are ok as well. Thanks!

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Thanks. I've searched the forums and I can't find what I'm looking for. I'm one of those people who actually searches before I make a post. A search is useless if i'm using the wrong search terms. Any help in that area?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
When you plug in your 3GS your computer should be able to see it as a camera and you can retrieve all pictures and videos taken with your 3GS.
Now if you want to go into the file system and be able to retrieve everything else like ringtones, music, program icons, wallpaper etc... you'll have to jailbreak and install OPENSSH.
Then use Cyberduck to browse thru the phone.
But gotta be carefull with it and thers also tons of directorys so not everything will be easy to find or labeled user friendly.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Not true...at least not on a Mac. Download "iPhone Explorer" for the Mac or PC.

S-

Is true for a PC.

Thanks. I've searched the forums and I can't find what I'm looking for. I'm one of those people who actually searches before I make a post. A search is useless if i'm using the wrong search terms. Any help in that area?

File Aid/Disk Aid is the only option I know of that you can use USB. The others all use wifi, which is not always available, which is why I suggested File Aid/Disk Aid. These include: Sugarsync, Box.net, Zumodrive, Discover, and Files Lite (all free apps). Documents 2 and ezShareLite are other possibilities, but they're more about documents IIRC. We get Tansee spam every once in awhile, and that might be a good program also, but it costs money. Air Share is another program that is suggested, but it costs money also.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Do you selectively read? iPhone Explorer does what this person wants........

S-

No, you selectively read. You were responding to Applejuiced. You said you couldn't get pics and video "taken by the phone" off the iPhone on "A PC." That is wrong. Read what Applejuiced wrote.

As far as iPhone Explorer goes, that was reponding to the OP. Yes, it does what he wants for a fee. So, does File Aid/Disk Aid. What's your point? File Aid/Disk Aid does what this person wants. The other apps do what he wants also and are free.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
No, you selectively read. You were responding to Applejuiced. You said you couldn't get pics and video "taken by the phone" off the iPhone on "A PC." That is wrong. Read what Applejuiced wrote.

As far as iPhone Explorer goes, that was reponding to the OP. Yes, it does what he wants for a fee. So, does File Aid/Disk Aid. What's your point? File Aid/Disk Aid does what this person wants. The other apps do what he wants also and are free.
Actually, I read just fine....and I write just fine too.

This is what I wrote:

"Not true...at least not on a Mac."

You do understand what that means, don't you? It means the statement I was responding was not true in regards to the Mac. The sentence makes no judgment in regards to the PC aspect of the statement I was responding too.

In your post you decide to nit pick, incorrectly, on one part of what I wrote and ignore the software I brought to the OP's attention.

Way to go!

S-

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Wow! "Not true...at least not on a Mac" = "Not on a Mac" Seriously??

And you ignored the software I already brought to the OP's attention, correct? You know it does the same thing, right?

Anyway, rereading this thread, I noticed that the OP wanted something for a Mac, but had forgotten that when reading your response to Applejuiced. So, I guess Applejuiced comment was wrong, and there was no reason for me to state the PC stuff. But there was no reason for your attitude (i.e., "do you selectively read") either.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ok so I have an iphone 3gs and I was wondering if there was any way to see it as a hard drive and retrieve files and video from my iphone when hooked up to my mac?

Any apps or jailbroken solutions are ok as well. Thanks!

Wow, this is one of the most confusing threads I've ever seen at MacRumors! :D

To try to answer the OP, hopefully without adding to the confusion, if all you want is to copy videos you take with the 3GS, you don't need to see it as a hard drive, you just need to follow these instructions.

If you are talking about copying other kinds of videos off the iPhone, kindly specify exactly what you are talking about, and we might get more clarity. If the solution involves jailbreaking, it's probably best to take this to the hacks subforum, where hopefully there are more posters who actually use these "iPhone as hard drive" programs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.