Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I guess this is a pretty picky question...but if there's a 'right' answer, then I guess it's worth asking!:

What is the best way to carry one's laptop, so as to protect and preserve it as well as possible? That is to say, which side should face down? The front end, the back end, the left side or the right side? Actually, in my case, my backpack holds the laptop vertically, so I need to know if the left or the right side should be down... :eek:

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
It makes a TON of difference. Especially with an Apple laptop.

You must always tote it so when you pull it out of the bag the Apple logo is right side up and facing *away* from you. This way everybody can see how cool you are... :D

stoid

macrumors 601
The best way to carry your laptop is to leave the screen open and grip the screen as tightly as you can will thumb pressed into the screen. if you notice the rim around the screen is slightly raised. This is there to keep your thumb from slipping off.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I carry mine latch down, because my TI book kept accidentally opening with the hinge down. I kept pressing the release button.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
OK...so i'm goofy...

All right, all right...next time I'll try to be more savvy and simply ask a poll question, non-chalantly, "Just curious, which direction does your laptop stand, when you carry it in your laptop case?"...

lesson learned. :rolleyes:

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Mr. Monsieur said:
All right, all right...next time I'll try to be more savvy and simply ask a poll question, non-chalantly, "Just curious, which direction does your laptop stand, when you carry it in your laptop case?"...

lesson learned. :rolleyes:

I was being serious... :) I always carry mine like that for that sole purpose. It just feels better. I know it's in poor taste of me but... I just gotta do it that way.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I keep mine in an old scragy PE bag in my backback this comes from taking it to a large comprehencive school

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I was being serious... I always carry mine like that for that sole purpose. It just feels better. I know it's in poor taste of me but... I just gotta do it that way.

No, no...I understand COMPLETELY...and yours was a good answer...I was referring to *certain* other persons who posted... ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ummmm, in the past I always had bags that carried the laptop in the ummm orientation where one of the longer edges is on the bottom. Then I always put the hinge end on the bottom, and the back of the laptop closer to the center of the bag. Dunno why on the latter, but the former cuz its easier to pull out from the non-hinge end. But it might actually be better the other way around because....

For my iBook G4 I use a backpack case that stores it in the orientation where the shorter edges are on top/bottom. I always put it in so that the power supply plug is on the top -- then the bottom of the laptop is on the padding side of the backpack, closer to my back. The reason I do this is so that I can leave the laptop in the bag, the bag on the floor, with the power cord plugged in and snaking out through the zipper. :) So in the same way it might be easier to put it in an attache style bag with the hinge up-top so the power cord can snake out.

Okay, that was way too introspective. :D

sandercox

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
NL
Well, I've 'learned' that for my iBook the best way is to have the bottom of the system facing your back. Otherwise the bends in your back will cause pressure to be applied to the center of the screen which can leave those nasty screen marks.
For me carrying it this way I have never had any marks again!

And my new PB17" will be treated even more carefully by using that piece of 'whatever it is' that is between the screen and keyboard when it is shipped, whenever I take it with me when I travel... (I wonder how long I'm actually gonna do that :) )

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
sandercox said:
And my new PB17" will be treated even more carefully by using that piece of 'whatever it is' that is between the screen and keyboard when it is shipped, whenever I take it with me when I travel... (I wonder how long I'm actually gonna do that :) )

I've had my lil' sliver of foam there since I got my iBook G4 in November! keep it up!

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
just remember not to carry it when its sleeping

Is that right? My friend always carries it around while its sleeping...in fact, he impressed me one time by whipping it out one day while we were travelling on a bus, to show me something...he kinda uses it like others use their pda's! I thought the hard drive stops turning when its sleeping?

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
get a SFBags sleevecase

These sleevecases are awesome, I got a new one with my new iBook G4 after I had one for my iBook/500 and used it all the time:

http://www.sfbags.com/PRODUCTS/SC_INFO/sc.htm

I prefer the kind where the back hinge slides in first. It's faster to pull out that way because it's the shorter aspect, and you're already looking it the right way.

Put it in your bag whichever way it needs to be so you can pull it out with the hinge away from you - unless you like to fumble around alot.

Edit: oh, and they're made in the good old US of A, even if it's in the pinko stronghold of San Francisco. They don't actually say whether Americans are doing the sewing.

ZaniCWB

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Brazil
... oh Boy!

KooBrewoP said:
just remember not to carry it when its sleeping

That was the most dumb thing I've read in a while...

Apple suggests you to have your Mac always sleeping (and not turned off). And that's quite obvious. Why on the Earth Apple would make the best "sleeping mechanism" ever, if you have had to shut down when you're carrying your notebook?

Think first... then type.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
ClimbingTheLog said:
These sleevecases are awesome, I got a new one with my new iBook G4 after I had one for my iBook/500 and used it all the time:

http://www.sfbags.com/PRODUCTS/SC_INFO/sc.htm

I prefer the kind where the back hinge slides in first. It's faster to pull out that way because it's the shorter aspect, and you're already looking it the right way.

I second the sleevecases. They're not bulkly and are protective and great for light travelling. I put the latch end in first. I don't know why, I think it's just because the hinges stick out a little bit, so I put them at the top.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
mkrishnan said:
Hmm...maybe he meant don't carry the PB while *YOU'RE* asleep. Now that's very sound advice! :D

Nope. He said its. Dont carry it while it's sleeping.

Now, don't carry it while you're sleeping is good adice, though. I'll keep that into consideration next time I find myself in a sleep walkin', power computin' mood.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.