Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danrose1977

macrumors regular
Original poster
I'm probably being a complete doorknob, but does anybody know where I can find a review of Airport express... searching the web just gets me loads of info about high speed check in at heathrow airport, london!!! :mad:

It all sounds great, but I don't want to fly anywhere at the moment :D
Can anyone point me the right way?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Its probably too early for reviews, the new unit is not going to be released until Mid July. It is possible Apple may do some demonstrations next week at the anticipated release of International iTunes music store.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
James Craner said:
Its probably too early for reviews, the new unit is not going to be released until Mid July. It is possible Apple may do some demonstrations next week at the anticipated release of International iTunes music store.
sorry to sidetrack the thread but is it going to be truly international or do you mean england/canada?

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Wait, so AP Express isn't shipping until July??? (I live in the US) I didn't know this! Or am I a doorknob too? :D

JOD8FY

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
Doornob is such a British term....

but I think I am one too, as I was at Bic Camera (a big electronic store chain in Tokyo) asking about APX today and the staff were not sure when it would be available, all I got was 'Sometime in Summer'. I know Japan can be slow to get Apple products after announcements and availability elsewhere (software in particular due to getting the documentation and support materials translated I guess) but there is really no excuse for hardware (production problems aside...still no iPod Mini's here...)...anyway can't wait to get my hands on one, don't know why, I am living in a little box in downtown Tokyo that is so small that if I fart in the living room you can smell it immediately in the bedroom, so with my harman/kardon speakers, my music is heard all over the apartment with no need to stream to an external sourse. I guess I can use APX for the internet or music on the balcony...or for my neighbours to be able to plug in and listen too!!

:p

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Check the online store, the AirPort Express isn't shipping until July, and no specified date yet, just some time in July, towards the middle.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Danrose1977 said:
From that article it looks like I am going to be a happy bunny... and yes, doorknob is quintisetially British... just like Gosh, goodness, and bo11ocks.

Bo11ocks is pretty exclusively british. I have the argue with the other two though. "Gosh" is very widely used in the US as a substitute for the Lords name, when not wanting to use it in vain. "gosh darnit".

"goodness" is also commonly used, especially by southerners when mixed with "gracious" as in "goodness gracious". Even Elvis used that that phrase, and he wasn't British afaik ;)

Tyler
Earendil

yinyang

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
sunny brisbane
swimmingly is another good english one...! :) but back to the bo11ocks...pi11ock is yet another old fashioned doorknob LOL!

back to the APE reviews... i think there are going to be a lot of reviews come mid july. let's hope that apple have got production up to speed worldwide for this one...!

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
abc123 said:
sorry to sidetrack the thread but is it going to be truly international or do you mean england/canada?

i think they meant iTunes Europe
which (as far as i know) is France, Germany, and the U.K. (in addition to, of course, the U.S.)

Since the definition of the word "International" is "Of, relating to, or involving two or more nations.", i would call it an International iTunes Music Store as well.

Amani

macrumors member
May 31, 2004
Sacramento, CA
I do wish AE would have firewire connection. I want to WiFi my external hard drive, but I don't think there's a device out there for Mac that does that. I saw one for PC that does. My Netgear base station only has Ethernet ports.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Amani said:
I do wish AE would have firewire connection. I want to WiFi my external hard drive, but I don't think there's a device out there for Mac that does that. I saw one for PC that does. My Netgear base station only has Ethernet ports.

I don't think that is possible. AE can serve as a printer server, but not for sharing other devices over wireless. Imagine this: three powerbooks on the network all try to write to, or access a file on your "networked hard drive" at once - that would spell doom.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
They do make HD's with ethernet ports on them, so you can save stuff to the drive from multible computers. I have one and it works pretty well.

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
Amani said:

yeah that would be nice to share my hard drive with a bunch of computers wirelessly. the usb port isn't 2.0 right?

westy

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2004
i asked this question in some other thread but i can't find where i posted it..anywas ill ask here and bookmark this site

if my printer also has a scanner to it (all in one), would i be able to scan images wirelessly? your knowledge is much appreciated!

aptmunich

macrumors member
May 29, 2004
ipodlounge.com has a review of airport express...

if my printer also has a scanner to it (all in one), would i be able to scan images wirelessly? your knowledge is much appreciated!

Why would you need that function? You have to put the material in the scanner anyway, so you might as well be sitting next to it?

basically the way i understand it is that AE supports apple's rendevouz feature, so if that supports scanning, AE should too..

westy

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2004
aptmunich said:
ipodlounge.com has a review of airport express...

Why would you need that function? You have to put the material in the scanner anyway, so you might as well be sitting next to it?

basically the way i understand it is that AE supports apple's rendevouz feature, so if that supports scanning, AE should too..

lol true, thanks for the info. kinda want it just cuz i have a laptop and dont want wires tangling around.

iNetwork

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2004
New Mexico
Koodauw said:
They do make HD's with ethernet ports on them, so you can save stuff to the drive from multible computers. I have one and it works pretty well.

They're called NAS or Network Attached Storage. You can do this with any computer connected to the network as well--ie set up a share, etc. Discussion on this can be found on apple's support website.

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-155-ProdID-NSLU2.php

That looks like something fairly inexpensive that you can attach a USB 2.0 drive to.

I personally use my older computers and set them up as file and printer servers. You do have to learn something about your computer beyond the gui if you're going to do this though. I prefer Yellow Dog Linux or Debian Linux for the PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.