Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Version 1.2 of TomTom U.S. & Canada [App Store, $99.99], submitted last week, has gone live in the App Store, bringing text-to-speech, lane guidance and a number of other new features to the popular GPS navigation application. Similar updates for a number of other international versions of the application have also begun appearing.

One other important feature of note is the addition of support for the original iPhone and all iPod touch models. The iPod touch lacks internal GPS, however, so those devices would have to paired with an external GPS receiver such as the TomTom car kit in order to function.
AWARD-WINNING NAVIGATION EXPERIENCE
- Improved search and route summary screens

DETAILED, UP-TO-DATE MAPS
- FREE updated map from v8.30 to 8.35
- Updated points of interest database

IQ ROUTES TECHNOLOGY
- Updated IQ Routes database with millions of new measurements

ADVANCED SAFETY FEATURES
- Added Advanced Lane Guidance in both portrait and landscape mode
- Added Text-to-speech in English US, English UK, English Australia, French Canada, Spanish Latin America
- Added Help Me! emergency menu

DESIGNED AND OPTIMIZED FOR THE IPHONE AND IPOD TOUCH
- Added iPod player support

COMPATIBILITY
- Added support for original iPhone and iPod touch (all models).

Article Link: TomTom Version 1.2 Released, Adds Compatibility With Original iPhone and iPod Touch

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
There's a number of little improvements, for example, the voices list is separated out with flags and headings. The volume adjuster has some icons added. The speed camera alert sound has changed.

Crashed when I first opened it, but tried again and it worked.
edit: But changing voices is now bloody slow.
edit 2: Was 'GPS Enhancer' there before? 'TomTom GPS Enhancer compensates for any delays or inaccuracies in your location.'
edit 3: Navigating around the app is slower than 1.1 :(. Especially when you click 'Route options'. I don't know why they've added a flip...the menu disappears to black, then the screen flips. Surely it should just flip straight from the menu. Makes no sense and makes you wait longer. Actually it's really irritating.
edit 4: Lane Guidance is really cool; it not only shows you the lane but the sign too. Only problem is that for the 0.5miles approaching the spot where that screen appears, the app jumps and stutters (maybe it's loading/calculating the image?). The pretty picture doesn't come up for all junctions though (see second image - tells you lane at bottom but not on main screen).
edit 5: It now displays consecutive instructions via icons! For example, turn left then turn right shows two icons (previously it only displayed the next manoeuvre).

AppleMatt

Attachments

• IMG_2098.PNG
    IMG_2098.PNG
    121.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2100.PNG
    IMG_2100.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 121

djdole

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
*reads title* TomTom Version 1.2 Released, Adds Compatibility With Original iPhone and iPod Touch

<Initial thoughts>
Wait.... it supports the ORIGINAL iPhone? ... o_O ... as in the 1st Gen iPhone?... The one WITHOUT GPS?
</Initial thoughts>

And all of a sudden the external GPS receiver in the car kit makes MUCH more sense.
So if the (EXPENSIVE) car kit (read windshield mount + other functionality that is for the most part, redundant for the majority of iPhone users) was actually intended for 1stGen iPhone users?

Does that mean TomTom will release a stripped down version of the carkit for 3G(s) without the redundant extra features (no expensive external GPS receiver)?
A MUCH CHEAPER stripped down version?
Please? $20?

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
*reads title* TomTom Version 1.2 Released, Adds Compatibility With Original iPhone and iPod Touch

<Initial thoughts>
Wait.... it supports the ORIGINAL iPhone? ... o_O ... as in the 1st Gen iPhone?... The one WITHOUT GPS?
</Initial thoughts>

And all of a sudden the external GPS receiver in the car kit makes MUCH more sense.
So if the (EXPENSIVE) car kit (read windshield mount + other functionality that is for the most part, redundant for the majority of iPhone users) was actually intended for 1stGen iPhone users?

Does that mean TomTom will release a stripped down version of the carkit for 3G(s) without the redundant extra features (no expensive external GPS receiver)?
Please? $20?

No, will not happen, TomTom claims iPhone GPS is not good enough.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

<Initial thoughts>
</Initial thoughts>

Please? $20?

Just buy somebody else's mount if you want to try it w/o the increased GPS accuracy.

Jape

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
this is great and all, but the Itouch does not fit into the tomtom car kit, it is to small. It would fit into the Magellan one though.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
*reads title* TomTom Version 1.2 Released, Adds
Please? $20?

If you don't want the GPS functions, just buy any car mount, power adapter, and bluetooth hands free kit.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
One question.

Does this unit work with an iPod Touch and Navigon?

Tried a Navigon unit, and must say its the best gps app, though the only reason I use a gps app is for long trips that I am unfamiliar with and at times confusing interchanges.

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
One question.

Does this unit work with an iPod Touch and Navigon?

Tried a Navigon unit, and must say its the best gps app, though the only reason I use a gps app is for long trips that I am unfamiliar with and at times confusing interchanges.

I do really like the Navigon program. I like the voice, directions, accuracy, etc. I HATE the POI feature. It is total crap around me. I live in a major city too.:mad:

I use Navigon with the Tom Tom Car Kit. It is dead-on GPS accuracy.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I do really like the Navigon program. I like the voice, directions, accuracy, etc. I HATE the POI feature. It is total crap around me. I live in a major city too.:mad:

I use Navigon with the Tom Tom Car Kit. It is dead-on GPS accuracy.

On an iPhone or iPod Touch. :confused:

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
No it is intended to give better GPS reception than the built in GPS receiver in the iPhone. Nothing redundant there. It is a bonus that it also works with the original iPhone and iPod Touch.

Please? $20?

That doesn't make any sense. There are many "stripped down" car kits for the iphone. If you don't want the GPS reciever (which boosts GPS performance on the newer iPhones), then why buy a car kit from Tom Tom.

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
Update looks Nice ! But

Tom Tom,

Your update looks nice but your price is still to high.

A sale would make me rethink.

Other wise Navigon or Magellan will get my money.

Everyone,

Any good articles on how all three compare?

Whats the preferred choice and why?

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
What text-to-speech?

So, am I just completely and totally missing something here, or is their idea of 'text-to-speech' in this nowhere near what, well, almost all of their lower-priced competition has where the app will actually give you the name of the street vs. just the distance to the turn and where you turn? I've tried out almost all of the voices in English, and they all just give distance and direction and no street names... :mad:

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
So, am I just completely and totally missing something here, or is their idea of 'text-to-speech' in this nowhere near what, well, almost all of their lower-priced competition has where the app will actually give you the name of the street vs. just the distance to the turn and where you turn? I've tried out almost all of the voices in English, and they all just give distance and direction and no street names... :mad:

I have not been able to try mine yet, but I am guessing that the voice needs to be a "computer voice" to do the street names. This is just a shot in the dark though.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I have not been able to try mine yet, but I am guessing that the voice needs to be a "computer voice" to do the street names. This is just a shot in the dark though.

Text-to-speech is nowhere to be seen (heard) with the Iberia Tomtom app and a spanish voice, even though this version claims to have spanish T2S.

Also, I haven't seen the advanced lane guidance thing, just a tiny icon at the bottom with a sketch of the lanes, no big sign post like in the first pic the OP posted.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Also, I haven't seen the advanced lane guidance thing, just a tiny icon at the bottom with a sketch of the lanes, no big sign post like in the first pic the OP posted.

Mine is being sporadic too - sometimes the big picture/signposts, other times just the small pictures in the bottom.

Why can't they just get it right :(.

AppleMatt

Phil Lee

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
Manchester, UK
TTS is included in the voices which have (computer) after their names. In the case of the Western Europe TomTom, there is only one British voice with TTS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.